Louis Theroux & the Westboro Baptist Church

David

It's a fake cult motivated by money. Phelps is a very rich man.

What does he spend it on? DVD boxsets?

The family cant really leave their little cult compound. Thats one hell of a sacrifice for money.

The Phelps family are multi-millionaires who exploit church tax breaks, so they can probably afford to buy quite a lot of cool stuff. They're just trolling.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does he spend it on? DVD boxsets?

The family cant really leave their little cult compound. Thats one hell of a sacrifice for money.

The Phelps family are multi-millionaires who exploit church tax breaks, so they can probably afford to buy quite a lot of cool stuff. They're just trolling.

That was my first thought when i heard about these guys, master trolls.

Seriously, though, i would love to see exactly how much they can make from what they are doing.

Seriously, though, i would love to see exactly how much they can make from what they are doing.

I tend to think that they're just fucking mental. Look in the eyes of the women involved. They have that crazy right-wing Christian stare that puts anything Charlie Manson has to shame.

Nah, it's a massive scam. They make money through their websites, media appearances and making offensive statements in order to get someone to assault them... then they sue their attackers and the police force that was to protect them.

I think you are giving them far too much credit. I would point you to a recent Kevin Smith Q & A in which two of the banished kids come up on stage and he asks them this question out right. To which the boy says its what they absolutley believe.

Also the bearded guy isn't a lawyer, nor is he a member of the family. What would he gain out of this?

Another issue I found rather disturbing is the way they send their children (some as young as 10 years old) out there to these picket lines with their hate-filled placards. Surely there must be some sort of law against this shit?

Unfortunately, The American Constitution allows freedom of speech without a mandatory I.Q test. It really is a double edged sword: you might well disagree with what these knuckle-dragging dunderpates are saying, but they are, sadly, within their rights to say so.

Another issue I found rather disturbing is the way they send their children (some as young as 10 years old) out there to these picket lines with their hate-filled placards. Surely there must be some sort of law against this shit?

Unfortunately, The American Constitution allows freedom of speech without a mandatory I.Q test. It really is a double edged sword: you might well disagree with what these knuckle-dragging dunderpates are saying, but they are, sadly, within their rights to say so.

Oh, I fully agree that they have a right to say as they please, but the difference here is that they are consenting adults. What they are subjecting those kids to borders on child abuse in my book.

I saw this and thought it totally mental, but in some ways a bit sad. Clearly, although on the face of it they make out like they don't care, the members who left have clearly had an emotional impact which they were trying hard to hide.

Good show though.

The part I found amazing was the young girls talking about having to leave the country, moving to Jerusalem and then the Lord will return. So what will they do if this doesn't happen? Or more to the point, and more realistically, they move to Jerusalem and are killed out there? I confess that I don't know much about that part of the world but I get the impression they are less tolerant out there than America.

Oh, I fully agree that they have a right to say as they please, but the difference here is that they are consenting adults. What they are subjecting those kids to borders on child abuse in my book.

Oh no doubt. Its brainwashing in its basest form.

"What you can infer from the swastika is that was one of the ways the Lord kicked your ass"

What a promo

"Hindu Symbolism Perverted For Political Gain 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!"

im so glad this topic is on here

i watched both of the documentary's back to back and if someone would have taken my blood pressure they would have thought i was on fire

im not religious nor do i want to be but i belive let people do what makes them happy. you wanna belive in jesus fantastic you wanna worship batman be my guest. but in any culture or religion you have people that have to take it too far. to get a kid as old as fucking 7 out picketing a dead solider's funeral and saying the things this kid was saying i would have grounded the little prick up untill he was 40 or had some manners.

but then you get the mum and the rest of the family and it just blows my mind.

i cannot belive that this shit happens

Archived