FWA To Debut At THORPE PARK

FWAUK.com

And Ligero's photograph session was before he had (and lost) his match. It was right after he came out and cleared the ring of the heelish RH Singh, so he did look pretty heroic. Until he stood in the ring with a photographer for 5 minutes waiting for somebody to meet him, then he didn't look quite so heroic...!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
There were quite a lot of people at the start of the FWA show when Bret was there, they just all left after the first match. Expo's aren't a good place to ask people to stand around in one place for 2+ hours, and putting them off with the arse-backwards red/yellow card system straight away didn't help much either. New Frontiers was suited to an Expo show a lot better than Uprising was.

As for Thorpe Park, I just hope their first main event pits The Inbetweeners against a bus full of Downs Syndrome kids.

I agree, and I think I said it at the time and referenced it above.

And please don't make jokes about my freakishly big hand

Bighand.png

Who's the British Wrestling Coalition?

The British Wrestling Coalition is the reformed British Wrestling Council.

Why is it reformed? Did they get in trouble for calling themselves a Council, when in reality they're only a joking 'governing' body? Or do the members of the old council, now have to pay new fees to the new coalition? Nice little money spinner if thats true.

Who's the British Wrestling Coalition?

The British Wrestling Coalition is the reformed British Wrestling Council.

Why is it reformed? Did they get in trouble for calling themselves a Council, when in reality they're only a joking 'governing' body? Or do the members of the old council, now have to pay new fees to the new coalition? Nice little money spinner if thats true.

Coalition..... Council......I prefer to sum it up using the word bullshit! That encapsulates the lot for me.

• Paid Members
As a regular visitor at Flamingo Land, a theme park similar to Thorpe Park based in North Yorkshire, I can honestly say as a wrestling fan I'd still be hard-pressed to take myself to a wrestling presentation during the day.

Ironically enough, I believe it was EPW (naff Teesside/Yorkshire-based fed) that did indeed run a summer series of shows at Flamingo Land a few years ago. May well still do so.

I get what the FWA is trying to do. I really do. As I've said a good few time before, I believe they see themselves as a "demo tape" for British wrestling, trying to show off the stars, characters, action and production that is on offer. They are probably best placed to do so and I do agree that it is colourful characters and fast-paced action that will capture attention of sponsors, TV execs, investors, etc. As a showcase of British wrestling, FWA is probably the eye-catching product you would imagine you would want to show off.

However, in light of the above, I continue to find it baffling why they try to put on such a storyline-heavy product. Sure, an eventual TV show will need to have continuing and engaging stories that draw the viewer in. I even get that presenting them in a different, darker, more realistic and more dramatic way will cause people to sit up and reconsider wrestling in a different way to how they may have done so before.

Problem is, the storylines create a very real barrier to new fans who may not have seen or follow the product before, since it is absolutely impossible to understand what is going on due to the multi-layered complexity and back-story. I missed a couple of shows and found it impossible to get back into whatever the hell was going on, so gave up. While the future of TV is undeniably internet-delivered, I wasn't prepared to watch hours upon hours of YouTube promo footage in order to try and gain a clue.

While they continue to solely run exhibition events and "camp shows", they aren't going to be running in front of an audience that is in a position to understand and follow what is going on. If they don't understand it, they will walk away and not give it a second look.

Sure, if their main direction was as a DVD-based promotion that people loyally follow from show-to-show, then the storylines etc would work within that limited loyal audience, similar to ROH in the mid-00s. But that isn't their direction (and, indeed, I've heard from multiple sources that their DVD sales are almost non-existent).

So, yes: I do agree with the promotional direction they are going and think I understand why they are doing it, but think that their actual product doesn't lend itself well to that end. Instead of complicated twists, turns, long-running story archs and deep character exploration, they need to be bright, colourful, larger-than-life shows filled with eye-catching action. Only when they have got their captive, regular audience hooked will they then be in a position to take things to another level.

It almost makes me wonder if they do have people seriously looking at the FWA as a viable and realistic possibility for a TV series, which is why they are running the story-based product on their Expo shows so they can show off the footage to exces as an example of the kind of series they would produce...

• Paid Members
As a regular visitor at Flamingo Land, a theme park similar to Thorpe Park based in North Yorkshire, I can honestly say as a wrestling fan I'd still be hard-pressed to take myself to a wrestling presentation during the day.

Ironically enough, I believe it was EPW (naff Teesside/Yorkshire-based fed) that did indeed run a summer series of shows at Flamingo Land a few years ago. May well still do so.

They did until they got the boot. I'm not aware of the full story though.

I can see these shows getting good croweds which will look good if showing it to TV execs. THe other indoor/ outdoor shows at Thorpe Park and other theme parks always have good attendance in the summer (makes a good break for 30 mins tops from the rides)

So doing 5 - 6 shows a day would be really good, 2-3 quick matches would prob be best. rather than a long 20 min bout

• 2 weeks later...
For the benefit of yourself and the other posters that you speak for, here is a free marketing lesson.

The principle is V + C = P where V=Visibility, C=Credibility and P=Profitability

Sorry not trying to be a nob, this is genuine query of sorts...

In all my years of marketing I have NEVER heard of that formula. V + C = P? Have you been taught that as part of your GCSE / A Levels / Degree? Thats a serious question because I know they always create new formulas all the time.

Because looking at it logically Visibility + Creditability DOES NOT equal Profitability. Two intangible elements such as these do not equal a tangible, measureable element. It's far too simplistic a formula.

I work in online marketing and run about 18 different products / websites. Some of the our most profitable sites have least creditability and visibility, and the least profitable have high visibility and creditability. This is because our most creditable products have more competitors and therefore are more price sensitive, thus makes less profit per unit.

And of course for other companies and products it will work the other way too.

In other words, V + C = P has too many exceptions and external variables for that to be a hard and fast rule. And besides your lesson is flawed... because despite what you may think, just because the FWA have increased their "visibility and creditability" by doing these expo events, it does NOT guarantee an increase in profit. Sure it helps, but its nowhere near gauranteed.

Another case in point... several years back I worked for a company that featured at a trade show. Despite my recommendations to keep costs low, they blew way too much money on being there. They increased their visibility and creditability, but didn't make enought money to justify the trade show. Therefore in this vase V + C = -P. Admittedly this company was run by a complete and utter idiot.

Ultimately only income - outgoings = profit. As boring and straight forward as it sounds.

Back on topic...

Ultimately it is FWA's interest to make a profit, and if they can make a decent amount for there business by running these shows... good for them. Would be fascinating to know the FWA grand plan of things and undertand where they are trying to get to and how they are going to get there.

Likewise I hope FWA can pick up fans on the way, but like many, I'm unsure as to why they run complicated storylines during expo shows that feature first time / one off viewers. Maybe thats just me.

Archived