FWA To Debut At THORPE PARK

FWAUK.com

if the expo and thorpe park gigs were an extra to running a normal programe i would think these were great ideas.

i've heard that the FWA are going to stick to this model as Thorpe and the Expo people pay them to come to the gigs i also beleive they are going to run adrenelize shows in the coming months which will be virtually free to run with BWC students coming in to fill the halls on the night after having paid to attend training courses on the afternoon.

So how does the fact that they are not running regular shows all of a sudden make the expos a bad idea?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That made me laugh. I feel the same as SSJLogan. This direction of the FWA is baffling. I can only imagine that they've run out of any real money, and are reduced to doing these Expo-type deals. With the Grapple Group having the wrestlers performing for free, it can't be too costly.

If they had money, surely they'd be promoting? What has happened? An answer from the FWA would be great, but we all know that won't come.

What a load of tosh! What do you think these weekends are about?? They ARE promoting!! They are promoting British Wrestling. They are PROMOTING British Wrestling more so than most "Promotions". Just because they are not running events infront of 100 people and making a loss like most "promotions" in the UK, doesn't mean they have run out of money!

Seriously look up the word "promotion", then think about what these guys are doing this weekend, then think about what you have just written.

Daft Daft Daft.

I would disagree. Yes they are promoting British wrestling.

So do you agree or disagree??

People are unlikely to attend a british wrestling event having seen them once at an EXPO like this, just like you probably wouldn't go home and look up a new brand of energy drink having seen it just the once, you would need several reminders before going out of your way to find out more.

However FWA have a load of youtube content that these people may look up and enjoy.

I'm sure FWA will be back to the expo events that they have been to previously, again promoting what they do probably to 80% of the same people that were at the previous event. I am sure they will have more of their own events to promote at that point and more online content for them to see, but first things first....they need to get some exposure and visibility and these events are great for that.

That made me laugh. I feel the same as SSJLogan. This direction of the FWA is baffling. I can only imagine that they've run out of any real money, and are reduced to doing these Expo-type deals. With the Grapple Group having the wrestlers performing for free, it can't be too costly.

If they had money, surely they'd be promoting? What has happened? An answer from the FWA would be great, but we all know that won't come.

What a load of tosh! What do you think these weekends are about?? They ARE promoting!! They are promoting British Wrestling. They are PROMOTING British Wrestling more so than most "Promotions". Just because they are not running events infront of 100 people and making a loss like most "promotions" in the UK, doesn't mean they have run out of money!

Seriously look up the word "promotion", then think about what these guys are doing this weekend, then think about what you have just written.

Daft Daft Daft.

Ok, maybe "promoting" isn't the word I should have used, at least on it's own. So I'll rephrase. "If they had money, surely they'd be promoting proper wrestling events, aimed at actual wrestling fans? What has happened? An answer from the FWA would be great, but we all know that won't come"

Better? The FWA are promoting British Wrestling, yes, but who exactly are they promoting it to? The general crowd of Thorpe Park visitors?

When the FWA 'returned', it was huge news, and it very quickly died again. How many ACTUAL events, in front of WRESTLING fans has the new FWA run? You say they could be running events in front of 100 people...Well, actually, I'd prefer it if they did. At least that way, they're aiming their product at the right market. At least that way they have a chance of running events in front of 200, 300, 500 people.

If the FWA had enough money to run a regular product, with proper promoting, and to the standard people have come to expect from the FWA, they would be. To me, running 'shows' at Expos and Memorabilia events comes across, after so many, as a way of running shows without having to financially put out for the promotion, hall hire etc.

Better? The FWA are promoting British Wrestling, yes, but who exactly are they promoting it to? The general crowd of Thorpe Park visitors?

When the FWA 'returned', it was huge news, and it very quickly died again. How many ACTUAL events, in front of WRESTLING fans has the new FWA run? You say they could be running events in front of 100 people...Well, actually, I'd prefer it if they did. At least that way, they're aiming their product at the right market. At least that way they have a chance of running events in front of 200, 300, 500 people.

If the FWA had enough money to run a regular product, with proper promoting, and to the standard people have come to expect from the FWA, they would be. To me, running 'shows' at Expos and Memorabilia events comes across, after so many, as a way of running shows without having to financially put out for the promotion, hall hire etc.

Oh dear!

So what you are saying is that FWA shouldn't do these events and instead should spend a significanly more money to expose their product to significantly fewer people?????

Please be sure to PM with the contact details for your marketing consultancy, I'll be sure to be giving you a call!!

• Paid Members

Oh dear!

So what you are saying is that FWA shouldn't do these events and instead should spend a significanly more money to expose their product to significantly fewer people?????

I think what he, and other posters on here are saying, is that as a vehicle to regular shows it is a good idea. Showcasing their wrestling product at an expo or a theme park is a great way of letting everyday folk know what is out there in terms of British Wrestling. However, if there are no shows, then what are the FWA pointing the punters at the expo shows and Thorpe Park towards?

Let's say it succeeds in gaining interest from punters at Thorpe Park. They ride Nemesis, take a dive down the Depth Charge then catch some wrestling- and think "Wow, that was some pretty good wrestling! I'd like to see that again! Where can I catch this FWA lot?", and they find out they can't- unless they go back to Thorpe Park or a comic book expo/convention.

I think you're taking the comments a bit to heart here (clearly affiliated with the promotion then), as people on here do see it as a good idea- if it were an accomplice to a regular wrestling product. If you are saying FWA is too big to run shows in front of these 100+ crowds, then what are their aspirations? What are FWA trying to achieve from this? What is their long-term plan?

I think what he, and other posters on here are saying, is that as a vehicle to regular shows it is a good idea. Showcasing their wrestling product at an expo or a theme park is a great way of letting everyday folk know what is out there in terms of British Wrestling. However, if there are no shows, then what are the FWA pointing the punters at the expo shows and Thorpe Park towards?

Let's say it succeeds in gaining interest from punters at Thorpe Park. They ride Nemesis, take a dive down the Depth Charge then catch some wrestling- and think "Wow, that was some pretty good wrestling! I'd like to see that again! Where can I catch this FWA lot?", and they find out they can't- unless they go back to Thorpe Park or a comic book expo/convention.

I think you're taking the comments a bit to heart here (clearly affiliated with the promotion then), as people on here do see it as a good idea- if it were an accomplice to a regular wrestling product. If you are saying FWA is too big to run shows in front of these 100+ crowds, then what are their aspirations? What are FWA trying to achieve from this? What is their long-term plan?

Thank you...i wish i was smart enough to get my own point across, haha.

Oh dear!

Please be sure to PM with the contact details for your marketing consultancy, I'll be sure to be giving you a call!!

No. What I'm saying is that the FWA are doing all of this promoting of British Wrestling, for nothing. Like fruitcorner said, they are running no shows, and the only way to see more FWA is to head over to an Expo.

My point that I'd rather see them running shows is that I don't go to Expo's, or Comic-Cons, or whatever. I go to wrestling shows. I want to see a wrestling show, not a match at a regular time slot over the course of a day. If exposing their product to significantly fewer people means exposing their product to WRESTLING FANS, then yes, yes they should. Just like they did in the first coming of FWA. Second coming fails to live up to the FWA standard.

The new FWA is maybe more of a bigger disappointment to me than the new ECW was.

I never invested my time and money travelling all over the place to see ECW, but I did for the original FWA, and was rewarded for my support by the company putting on great shows till just before its original death.

The new FWA storylines, roster, the whole BWC bullshit, lack of shows, proves to me what a joke of a promotion this is.

If people want to see decent shows, go to companies that regularly run shows and know how to treat their customers correctly.

FWA can't draw anymore, probably would make a loss if they had to pay their workers properly, and make me disappointed to be a British wrestling fan.

OK, first off....no affiliation to FWA. I am an aquaintence of some of the people involved, as many people on this board are, but not an affiliate with the company.

For the benefit of yourself and the other posters that you speak for, here is a free marketing lesson.

The principle is V + C = P where V=Visibility, C=Credibility and P=Profitability

So FWA associating with brands such as the expo events and Thorpe Park instantly increases not only their visibility but also their credibility.

I am involved with a band that are this summer doing gigs supporting bands such as Madness, Razorlight and Example as well as playing several festivals in front of 1000s of people. Now you may not have heard of this band and we may not have any gigs where we are headlining ourselves, but the fact that we are associated with these headline acts and festivals automatically gives us more credibility than a band who are playing their own gigs in front of 50 people at the dog and duck on a few friday nights over the summer.

So perhaps you are being shortsighted in thinking that these appearences are just for the benefit of getting the individual punters interested in FWA wrestling.

Here's a question.. is it possible that their appearences at the Expos last year, made it easier for them to seal the deal with Thorpe Park? Of course it did. Let's face it, their credibility having done those events would be higher than Jonny Kickpaz promotion who run once a month infront of 200 people in a townhall somewhere and if Thorpe Park where approached by both companies it's obvious who they are gonna choose.

By doing these events, FWA are proving that their product can reach and appeal to a wider audience than the 150 or so people that most UK "companies" reach, therefore making their product more appealing to potential sponsors, investors and business partners for the future.

It's clear that these expo events are part of a strategy and not the end game!

OK, first off....no affiliation to FWA. I am an aquaintence of some of the people involved, as many people on this board are, but not an affiliate with the company.

For the benefit of yourself and the other posters that you speak for, here is a free marketing lesson.

The principle is V + C = P where V=Visibility, C=Credibility and P=Profitability

So FWA associating with brands such as the expo events and Thorpe Park instantly increases not only their visibility but also their credibility.

I am involved with a band that are this summer doing gigs supporting bands such as Madness, Razorlight and Example as well as playing several festivals in front of 1000s of people. Now you may not have heard of this band and we may not have any gigs where we are headlining ourselves, but the fact that we are associated with these headline acts and festivals automatically gives us more credibility than a band who are playing their own gigs in front of 50 people at the dog and duck on a few friday nights over the summer.

So perhaps you are being shortsighted in thinking that these appearences are just for the benefit of getting the individual punters interested in FWA wrestling.

Here's a question.. is it possible that their appearences at the Expos last year, made it easier for them to seal the deal with Thorpe Park? Of course it did. Let's face it, their credibility having done those events would be higher than Jonny Kickpaz promotion who run once a month infront of 200 people in a townhall somewhere and if Thorpe Park where approached by both companies it's obvious who they are gonna choose.

By doing these events, FWA are proving that their product can reach and appeal to a wider audience than the 150 or so people that most UK "companies" reach, therefore making their product more appealing to potential sponsors, investors and business partners for the future.

It's clear that these expo events are part of a strategy and not the end game!

Credibility? With who? Those who run Expo's? They aren't gaining any credibility with any wrestling fan, be it online or casual, because their presence within the wrestling scene is non-existent. If they had a good business model already, and we're becoming a success in their own area of business, ie promoting professional wrestling shows, they wouldn't need this boost in credibility. If these appearances aren't just for getting punters interested in FWA, what are they for? To gain sponsors, investors, and business partners, you say? The FWA have been running Expo 'shows' for a while now. How many new investors, business partners or sponsers have they actually got? Seeing as they happily shout about any small thing on the UKFF, I'm sure we'd be more than aware. Alex Shane just can't stay away.

You go on and on about this 150-sized crowd. What you're failing to realise is that there are companies who draw a lot more than that, who don't actually need this 'credibility boost', such as All-Star, LDN Wrestling and WAW. With their histories, surely they could have achieved a deal much like this Thorpe Park deal. They just don't need to, because they are running events, in halls, in front of people who have paid to see wrestling, and making money doing so. If the FWA were doing that, and doing it properly, they would already be a self-sufficient business, running on it's own fuel.

Part of a strategy? That's one hell of a long-term strategy, and in the process they will lose a lot of their beloved IWC fans.

Credibility? With who? Those who run Expo's? They aren't gaining any credibility with any wrestling fan, be it online or casual, because their presence within the wrestling scene is non-existent. If they had a good business model already, and we're becoming a success in their own area of business, ie promoting professional wrestling shows, they wouldn't need this boost in credibility. If these appearances aren't just for getting punters interested in FWA, what are they for? To gain sponsors, investors, and business partners, you say? The FWA have been running Expo 'shows' for a while now. How many new investors, business partners or sponsers have they actually got? Seeing as they happily shout about any small thing on the UKFF, I'm sure we'd be more than aware. Alex Shane just can't stay away.

You go on and on about this 150-sized crowd. What you're failing to realise is that there are companies who draw a lot more than that, who don't actually need this 'credibility boost', such as All-Star, LDN Wrestling and WAW. With their histories, surely they could have achieved a deal much like this Thorpe Park deal. They just don't need to, because they are running events, in halls, in front of people who have paid to see wrestling, and making money doing so. If the FWA were doing that, and doing it properly, they would already be a self-sufficient business, running on it's own fuel.

Part of a strategy? That's one hell of a long-term strategy, and in the process they will lose a lot of their beloved IWC fans.

The more you talk the more you show you have no idea about business.

They did the the expos last year. This year they have new business partners in the form of Idea Tap and Thorpe Park. They increased their chances of getting these deals by doing the Expo events last year.

WWE have a business agrement with Hasbro. This gives their claim that they are aiming their product to a younger market credibility. So "if they were good as being a wrestling company they wouldn't need the credibility boost" is tosh. All companies try and gain credibility for their brands by associating with existing brands with a similar ethos.

If LDN or WAW wanted the Thorpe Park deal they could have tried to go for it, but I am assuming that they didn't. But why not?? I'm not knocking those guys, they are happy doing what they do, but here's a question.... how many brand new potential customers / investors / business partners etc did LDN or WAW or Allstar for that matter presented their product to in the last year?

Has it occured to you that perhaps you are not the type of customer that they want?? The "beloved" IWC UKFF member who will try and Sh*t over what they do regardless of what they acheive? There are several "comapnies" in the UK fighting for your business. I suggest you click on their threads.

I applaud them for trying to take it to less cynical people.

The new FWA is maybe more of a bigger disappointment to me than the new ECW was.

I never invested my time and money travelling all over the place to see ECW, but I did for the original FWA, and was rewarded for my support by the company putting on great shows till just before its original death.

The new FWA storylines, roster, the whole BWC bullshit, lack of shows, proves to me what a joke of a promotion this is.

If people want to see decent shows, go to companies that regularly run shows and know how to treat their customers correctly.

FWA can't draw anymore, probably would make a loss if they had to pay their workers properly, and make me disappointed to be a British wrestling fan.

The roster is a joke? I think you'd be hard pushed to find a better roster anywhere in the UK. To me, that's what makes the new FWA all the more frustrating. I went to European Uprising and absolutely hated it. I've seen The Leaders and Stixx and Malen have a great match in IPW:UK, same goes for Kincade vs Stone. So why did I dislike both matches this time round? Could it be the useless and confusing red card system and telegraphed heel turns? The convoluted storylines that Alex Shane insists on, while in the very same show trying to introduce the product to a whole new market? Maybe it was the fact that Spud vs Storm was promoted on the website right up until the day, despite the fact that Spud couldn't possible work the event and had known for some time.

While I agree with the argument that it's shortsighted to complain that FWA are doing these expo and Thorpe Park shows at the expence of a normal wrestling show, FWA needs to have something else in mind to follow up with. No, they do not have to tell us what it is right now, but they haven't had a show where people pay for tickets since August. The show before that was the Nottingham show, which they claimed was the DVD people should watch to get an idea of the blueprint of the FWA. It was full of good matches with logical booking, even if the promos did go on a bit. So which is it? What is the FWA now? How can one style of promotion be abandoned after just one more show in favour of "matches on the hour" for new audiences?

I won't bitch about the FWA again until I see their larger picture unfolding, but I also won't go to another show until then. Yes I'm a part of the IWC and yes I do complain a fair bit, but I also love wrestling and travel the country watching shows. When I'll happily drive over 500 miles round trip on a Sunday for an IPW show, but won't drive the 80 miles for an FWA exhibition, it shows me that I'm not the target audience. That's fine, but it's very easy to get me interested in a wrestling event, and I was excited about the FWAs return. I set up a standing order for the DVDs, went to shows and followed announcements on the website. I honestly had no intention of blasting the company, which just shows how low my expectaions have fallen in such a short period of time.

• Paid Members

No one in their right mind would go to Thorpe Park and take time out to go and watch wrestling.

The only way FWA will be seen is if they are under canopy and the queues meander through them at one of the busier rides, but knowing the layout of Thorpe Park I can't see that being achievable (apart from possibly Colossus)

They've listed 5 rides, they missed out Tidal Wave and Rush, most take 45 mins to 1 hour to get on, so you're looking at about 6 hours of queuing, add a lunch break where all you need is peace and quiet for 30 mins, and assuming you get there as the doors open you're looking at possibly one available hour to watch wrestling.

This of course does not take into account the walking to and from rides, or having to nurse your missus as she's just been sick from going on Samurai.

FWA would need to be an eatery attraction or Queue attraction, they'll be shoved in some tent somewhere, and no one will go to see them.

But hey, they're getting paid for the four days, and they get to put as seen LIVE at Thorpe Park on their Web Site and Posters (If they ever need to print posters for an actual live show again)

Aah I miss the days of Broxbourne and Bethnal Green, hell even Brent Town Hall with it's horrible green paint and stupid ceiling support struts was decent. One show a month at alternating between the two, it worked, if they'd added a Northern show to make it Two shows a month it would've worked even more so.

FWA fucked themselves by leaving that simple structure and instead of EXPANDED just relocated.

Archived