Raw Discussion thread 21/03 *Spoilers*

xear

• Paid Members
Also Blackson how for you did it come off lame. I saw it as the top heel in the company changing the belt to represent soley himself as he has proclaimed many times we are all tuning in to see him and he is the must see champion. He then went on to say he was planning on holding onto the belt for a very long time. So he has changed it because he thinks he is keeping it for a long time and wanted to make it more about The Miz. Great heel move and it will get him more heat.

The boo's Cena are getting as well were always going to happen people have been booing him for years because some people are just down right stupid and think they are being cool by doing it. People used to cheer Orton when he was a heel, again just fans thinking they are so cool and so smart.

It came off as lame because he gave this big build to turn a spiny belt and a bit of cardboard upside down, two weeks before he'll lose.

Also John Cena has looked subpar compared to The Rock. Not great when he's your guy.

John Cena is not The Rock and is hard to compare them to each other because of the time they had worked in wrestling. Cena gets booed because he is boring and lacks entertainment because he has done the same thing for the last 7 years and not really changed it up. Also fans boo faces cheer heels because they think they are "smart" wrestling is what it always is you are offered a heel and face person to cheer and boo and should do the right thing, but dildos these days think they are so cool if they boo a face or cheer a heel.

Fair enough about the belt bit I thought it was clever didn't do a lot and just came off as more up his own ass. Cena is going down at wrestlemania, The Miz will go over clean.

The boo's Cena are getting as well were always going to happen people have been booing him for years because some people are just down right stupid and think they are being cool by doing it. People used to cheer Orton when he was a heel, again just fans thinking they are so cool and so smart.

Or maybe they just don't like Cena. Nobody goes to wrestling to sit on their hands with their mouths shut, so people who've paid their money should be free to boo and cheer for who they want.

No people go to wrestling and they are given the option or at least presented with the guys they should boo and cheer. Children and women love Cena heard it a million times. This maybe true or maybe it's just because they have not grown up and thought they are cool enough to boo the top face for the last seven years. The idiots who do it are blokes old enough to think they are being cool with their mates.

Same Idiots who cheered Orton when he was an out and out heel.

Same Idiots who cheered Punk against Cena although Punk was being a cunt.

I know wrestling has changed a lot and it is not the same as it was, but back in the day the face and heel got the respect they deserved from the crowd which they don't really get any more.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
No people go to wrestling and they are given the option or at least presented with the guys they should boo and cheer. Children and women love Cena heard it a million times. This maybe true or maybe it's just because they have not grown up and thought they are cool enough to boo the top face for the last seven years. The idiots who do it are blokes old enough to think they are being cool with their mates.

I know wrestling has changed a lot and it is not the same as it was, but back in the day the face and heel got the respect they deserved from the crowd which they don't really get any more.

Balls. Crowds have been turning faces and heels for years. Hogan turned because he was getting heel reactions, as did Bret, while Austin turned because he was getting face reactions. If people are booing Cena, it's because they think he's unlikable and want to boo him. Just because you like him doesn't mean everyone else has to; seeing as pretty much most other heels get universal heel reactions from the crowd, to claim the only people who boo Cena are guys who "have not grown up yet" is not just laughable (especially given Cena's childish sense of humour), it's incorrect.

Cheering faces because you're meant to just isn't satisfying, you feel like a prick doing it, it goes for a lot of of guys. In three years CM Punk has delivered matches upon matches that a lot of people would want to rewatch, he's cut unforgettable promos on Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio and put his all into what he's been given. If you look at Cena over the last three years I remember him fighting the Nexus, Orton for a long while and Triple H. Besides the Nexus angle his stuff has been fairly straightforward and wasn't anything new for the fans to get excited about.

The fans at the Royal Rumble knew it and so the fans at Elimination Chamber, crowd reaction is the only wave of influence the fans have of letting the WWE know who is good or bad at their job.

Balls. Crowds have been turning faces and heels for years. Hogan turned because he was getting heel reactions, as did Bret, while Austin turned because he was getting face reactions. If people are booing Cena, it's because they think he's unlikable and want to boo him. Just because you like him doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Agreed. If people's number one concern was looking 'cool' in front of their mates, they've pretty much fucked that by going to a wrestling show in the first place. Once you're there, though, it's about audience participation and having a good time. But that doesn't mean it's a pantomime where everybody in the audience cheers and boos at exactly the same time. As Carbomb says, crowds have been organically turning faces and heels for years - look at the classic example of the Austin/Bret double-turn. If fans hadn't been reacting against type to both characters for months beforehand, even the most brilliant piece of booking in the world would have struggled to pull it off. By the same token, maybe not listening closely enough to those reactions has been a big reason why they've struggled to create any genuine stars recently (Orton could have been turned a lot more effectively a full year earlier, IMO).

I wish Maryse wrestled more. That ex-writer bloke who does the blog said "she's a hot girl who fights like a hot girl" and I think that was dead-on. Eve has no personality and her moves mean nothing, but everything Maryse does fits her character brilliantly.

Cole was great, as he always is. I wonder what happens to him after WrestleMania though. I can see the divas giving him a kicking either at Mania or after (perhaps his post-WM plans are to wrestle the divas, a la Kafuman or Wippleman).

The Undertaker-HHH video didn't really grab me. I just can't get past the build-up feeling false. I don't buy it as a "biggest match ever!!!!" match for either of them.

The Miz/Cena stuff was fine, but nothing special. I'm looking forward to next week's show.

Is it only me who thinks Cole is going to be on the recieving end of a piledriver, like Kaufman was? Imagine the reaction that would get?

That's the one thing I'm looking really forward to at Mania. They HAVE to let King piledrive him.

The neck-brace wearing aftermath will be fantastic.

• Paid Members
Is it only me who thinks Cole is going to be on the recieving end of a piledriver, like Kaufman was? Imagine the reaction that would get?

That's the one thing I'm looking really forward to at Mania. They HAVE to let King piledrive him.

The neck-brace wearing aftermath will be fantastic.

That hadn't crossed my mind yet, but it would be amazing. Michael Cole in a neck brace and wheelchair afterwards would be absolutely brilliant. He could whinge about King crippling him with an illegal move.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that there was a discussion on here about heels in wheelchairs always being hilarious.

Heels on Wheels!!

• Paid Members

I'm loving the Cole/Lawler build up, it's weirdly the match I'm looking forward to most on the card. I think the build up to some of the matches has been pretty terrible - the Nexus involvement in Punk/Orton kinda ruined it for me, and the Triple H/Undertaker build up has just been boring.

The lack of MITB also hurts the 'Mania card a little for me. BUT...I'll order the PPV just to see what Cole/Lawler brings, I can't believe how much I want to see this match!

The Undertaker-HHH video didn't really grab me. I just can't get past the build-up feeling false. I don't buy it as a "biggest match ever!!!!" match for either of them.

Couldn't agree more. It feels false and contrived because it is.

The first problem for me is that HHH has been missing from WWE for almost a year, so to me, he doesn't fit in now, and looks like a spare part. He says that he has no challenges left, but who is to say that in the year he has been gone, some of these young guys haven't developed to be viable threats (I'm not talking the likes of Dibiase who have actually regressed, moreso the likes of Ziggler, Morisson, Barrett etc). The WWE has moved on a lot since he was last around, and as far as I'm concerned, he needs to play catch up to once again prove he is as great as he says he is. In hindsight, what would have been good was if he had returned at the Rumble to go after Sheamus and had a match with him at Elimination Chamber in order to reintroduce him to the current WWE climate. I get that they're trying to make HHH's return to the ring mean more by not having him wrestle until Wrestlemania, but it isn't working for me. The same goes for the Undertaker to a lesser degree. He got dominated in his feud with Kane and put to pasture, and now he has returned, are we to accept that he is at his best, ready for the big one? Where's the proof?

Also, the no physicality gimmick is not working for me either, probably based on the above. Basically, here we have two opponents who are both getting older and have both been on the shelf for a while, with neither having offered any proof that they are still as good in the ring as they were when they left (a pedigree through a table doesn't count). Yet, we are supposed to believe that this will be the greatest match ever? Why would it be?

I don't think my problems with them are exactly the same. I have no trouble believing that they are as good as they were when they left, but the two of them just returning and not doing much has probably played a part in my iffiness towards the idea. Something about it just feels like it's a really forced attempt to try and live up to the Undertaker's feuds/matches from the last two WrestleMania. Both of them had more natural return enemies/rivalries, and though HHH did tackle Sheamus in a throwaway bit after challenging Undertaker, the whole thing just doesn't feel organic.

Quick question. I thought there was to be no physicality between Lawler and Cole otherwise they would be suspended. Did this rule only apply to Lawler or did they just forget about it when getting Cole to put the ankle lock on Lawler?

Archived