The Non-league footy thread

spartan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Depends on the rules of the competition. Do English leageus even allow trialists or do all players have to be registered? Would they have time to register enough players for the match given the others only chucked it on the Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

I'm actually more suprised they didn't start the game and then have a player get 'injured' or sent off and force an abandonment.

Everybody has to be registered of course but surely they have a reserve team? My mate plays in the Kent County League and they have FOUR senior teams. There's literally no reason for this. Even if the reserve team acts almost like a seperate club under the same banner (very common), there's no reason to have seven players for a game, none.

Everybody has to be registered of course but surely they have a reserve team? My mate plays in the Kent County League and they have FOUR senior teams. There's literally no reason for this. Even if the reserve team acts almost like a seperate club under the same banner (very common), there's no reason to have seven players for a game, none.

Yeah, fair point. A reserve side didn't even occur to me. Judging by this though, there may have been a reserve side that all fucked the manager off too:

"I texted 22 players on Thursday and seven said they were unavailable," Youngman told BBC Sport.

And, just as I post about Barrow AFC's tragic form this season, I see tonight's local paper's front page: Manager Dave Bayliss has gone! Fucking hell.

You say of course but in Scotland almoest every league at amateur, junior (non-league) and senior level allow players to play 2/3 games as a trialist before being registered. That said there's only 1 or 2 amateur associations that would allow it in a cup tie.

Witht he reserve team thing, could it be possible that they do have a second and third XI but perhaps they also play in this cup competitions earlier rounds and therefore players could only play for one team from the same club in that competition? That's fairly common in amateur football in Scotland.

No, no reserve teams in Senior Cups. Not that some teams don't play reserve teams, my friend Iain for his sins had to follow Charlton Athletic's development squad as they traipsed around Kent last season en route to winning the Kent Senior Cup, the first time a league club had won the Kent Senior Cup since Charlton did it themselves in 1994/95.

Besides, you can't compare Scotland to England. Despite many problems with the system, England's pyramid has an internal logic which is utterly absent in Scotland.

Yeah, the English system is far more logical and better worked. Although a pyramid system of sorts is now in place in Scotland. The whole trialists thing is madness really, for years its been a recipe for disaster in amateur football with players registered as juniors playing fr a junior team on Saturday but still turning out in Sunday amateur games. This still goes on despite carrying up to a 2 year ban if caught. In fact the sunday league I referee in is the only league in Scotland to my knowledge where a trialist has to produce photographic I.D. before being allowed to play.

Archived