Quotes about wrestling

Slapnut

Right, basically I have a uni assignment to give a presentation on something that I'm very passionate about, so obviously I chose wrestling. My aim of the presentation is to educate non-fans to show them that wrestling isn't "that fake stuff with men in pants" and that it could be seen as a perfectly valid form of theatre.

I want to fill my powerpoint with quotes about the business from people such as journalists, anybody involved in wrestling, wrestlers in shoot interviews etc. I'm not looking for wrestling catchphrases, just some good quotes people have said about the wrestling industry.

I'd give an example but, honestly, I can't actually think of any right now :bored:

Anyone?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In response to the "It's all fake, why would you take an interest?" style of question:

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do" - Jeff Jarrett

"Professional wrestling is not a genuine sport, but it is a genuine industry." - John Lister

• Paid Members

I highly reccomend the following, easily found by using Google scholar:

Firstly, go find Roland Barthe's Mythologies, which has a section on wrestling, and also look up Geoff King's The spectacle of the real book, which has another chapter devoted to wrestling. There's some brilliant quotes in both of them and I'd highly recommend them for reading in general.

My aim of the presentation is to educate non-fans to show them that wrestling isn't "that fake stuff with men in pants"

But it is.

Yeah course it is, but that seems to be where it ends with some people. I want to show the entertainment side of it, while some people can't look past the fake, "gay" aspect of it.

• Paid Members

"And Dusty Rhodes, ya fat fuck, Eddie Graham killed himself over it" - Billy Jack Hayes

"I want him to die slow" - Ole Anderson on Ric Flair

"Its fake. All that is real is the miles and the money" - Kevin Nash

"You may have won the world title 16 times, Ric, but its fake. You never beat anyone for real and you couldn't beat me for real. If you had any money I'd be more than happy to do a shoot fight with you anytime. His best financial decision will be his first one". - Kevin Nash

My aim of the presentation is to educate non-fans to show them that wrestling isn't "that fake stuff with men in pants"

But it is.

Yeah course it is, but that seems to be where it ends with some people. I want to show the entertainment side of it, while some people can't look past the fake, "gay" aspect of it.

I don't know you can differentiate one from the other. Quotes from wrestlers and such might sound like hollow self-justification if the theoretical audience is dead set against it. Here's some guff from Sheamus though: "It's a story, a soap opera. People know that, but get lost in it. It might sound corny but it's real-life superheroes - you've got your good guys and your bad guys. Kids love it because these larger than life people perform amazing feats in the ring."

I'd say focus on the entertainment value of the campiness and how it lets adults be big kids, rather than trying to present it as a serious artform. Nobody in the class will be impressed or convinced that it's LEGIT~ and taking that road would solidify the mindset that wrestling fans are too bubbled to see how silly it is.

If you want to present how big an entertainment industry wrestling is, you can also use the TV ratings (Raw has been one of the highest-rated TV shows on American cable for well over a decade), the odd worthwhile stat from WWE's "Did You Know?" self-aggrandisation, and some of the facts and figures from this: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/09/2057...ed-to-sun.html# (which details the economic impact that WrestleMania has on the city that hosts it)

Tidbits that might be worth mentioning: Music festivals like Download book wrestling acts (festivals probably mean something to at least half the kids in an average university class), Andre The Giant Has a Posse/OBEY.

Here's another quote:

"Wrestling is ballet with violence." Jesse Ventura (wrestler, Governor, conspiracy nutter who looks like a tramp)

Archived