Quotes about wrestling

Slapnut

• Paid Members
"Why should I have to hire a fucking fag if I don't like fags? If I don't want to sell fried chicken to blacks, I shouldn't have to. It's my restaurant." - Bill Watts

That's a useful quote assuming the point of the project is to prove that people in the wrestling bubble are cunts who are 10 years behind the real world.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do" - Jeff Jarrett

This is excellent. Sums it up perfectly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
"Why should I have to hire a fucking fag if I don't like fags? If I don't want to sell fried chicken to blacks, I shouldn't have to. It's my restaurant." - Bill Watts

That's a useful quote assuming the point of the project is to prove that people in the wrestling bubble are cunts who are 10 years behind the real world.

By and large they are. Wrestling's a seedy, shit business.

• Paid Members

By and large they are. Wrestling's a seedy, shit business.

Well, obviously but that isn't the point.

I always think trying to educate non-fans is ridiculous. At the end of the day, Wrestling is just pure theatre. Because 20 years ago it liked to pretend it wasn't, it has a stigma that you'll never shake off.

• Moderators

Indeed. Whenever Smackdown or Raw has been left on Sky Sports in a pub after the football or rugby, it just makes everyone laugh, and I pretend I don't like it either and laugh along. I can imagine it'd be pure hell convincing someone who's not a child of a good reason why you watch it.

• Paid Members

Lesnar talks about wrasslin

Which looks better now that he has left the business and still defends it.

I think its impossible to prevent people from thinking its two blokes in their pants, but you could probably show them that they are professional, entertaining athletes...in their pants.

"Stitch me up Doc, I've got a match tonight" - Steve 'Dr Death' Williams.

I think its always worth mentioning the way wrestling spreads over to modern popular culture. The Bundys in the bit comedy Married With Children being named after King Kong Bundy, Bands named after The Von Erichs and Dusty Rhodes and I read on here that this new pop chappy Bruno Mars got his name after Bruno Sammartino. We also had a thread on here recently about wrestlers being name checked in songs.

• Paid Members
Indeed. Whenever Smackdown or Raw has been left on Sky Sports in a pub after the football or rugby, it just makes everyone laugh, and I pretend I don't like it either and laugh along. I can imagine it'd be pure hell convincing someone who's not a child of a good reason why you watch it.

I managed to convince my wife. That's about it. Even then I can't think of much of a better reason than "I've never grown out of it". Managed to convince some friends that it does actually hurt once. That the mat isn't actually made of foam or rubber, etc. That's about it. To be honest, I'm like you, I don't try. I only admit it if asked directly or if my wife rats me out.

Also did I hear right the other day that President Obama mentioned Sputnik Monroe in a speech? Plus look at the crossover in England with guys like Brian Glover and Pat Roach going onto star in Hollywood movies but always mentioning Wrestling. Some of my mates still say its a bunch of bummers in leotards fondling each other but hey, each to their own! People need to get away from the fake tag - no-ones saying its real. Jeez I mean its entertainment - I don't watch a movie and then go "Shit, that was rubbish he didn't REALLY shoot all those people"

• Paid Members

I either sell out my own morals and beliefs and say I like wrestling in an ironic way, or if your in the company of people who you know would really struggle with the concept of liking wrestling, I just say its shit if its ever brought up. I remember a lad at school had Warzone and I wanted information out of him and I was stuttering to pretend I didn't know the wrestlers names. I said to him "does it have ... urrr ... whats his name, man ... erm *clicks fingers* ... fucking ... Triple H on it?" At that stage in time, I could have told you his title history, real name and his tag partner in WCW, but I had to pretend I hadnt a clue who he was. Wrestlings an odd thing to be into. Anything for an easy life really. And its not like it does us any favours with the haters to be fair.

• Moderators
I either sell out my own morals and beliefs and say I like wrestling in an ironic way, or if your in the company of people who you know would really struggle with the concept of liking wrestling, I just say its shit if its ever brought up.

"Is that Rick Rude/Jim Duggan/Earthquake lad still about?" is one I've said a few times whenever it's on TV in public.

Archived