Quotes about wrestling

Slapnut

Being ashamed of the things you like is pretty lame. We like what we like, who cares what other people think?

What if you like bumrape?

its not just you he's talking about.. its us wrestling fans and the fact we like wrestling..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember a lad at school had Warzone and I wanted information out of him and I was stuttering to pretend I didn't know the wrestlers names. I said to him "does it have ... urrr ... whats his name, man ... erm *clicks fingers* ... fucking ... Triple H on it?" At that stage in time, I could have told you his title history, real name and his tag partner in WCW, but I had to pretend I hadnt a clue who he was.

That reminds me of a lot of conversations I had at school. Fortunately by the time I got to college, Attitude was kicking off and it was ok to admit you knew who they all were. Saved me a lot of energy not having to insert 'wotsisnames' at random intervals.

Being ashamed of the things you like is pretty lame. We like what we like, who cares what other people think?

I think you do get to a point as an adult when you realise this. I would never bring wrestling up to a non-fan specifically to explain that I like it, but I'm pretty unashamed about about it. Everyone has stuff that they like that other people could rip to pieces if they were so inclined. Look at the amount of people in this country who love X-Factor and the Kings of Leon, not to mention the more stereotypically nerdy stuff like Dr Who or Star Wars.

• Paid Members

It might be worth having a brief look at the history and mentioning how and why it's what it is today. During early 98, old jim corny did the nwa invasion angle on raw. During matches he would usually jump on the mic and 'educate' people of the tradition of wrestling. One of the things he spoke about was how far back in time the nwa can be linked backed to with some form of documented proof. During this, he touches upon how president Lincoln may have been directly linked to the nwa.

I bought it, doesn't mean it's defo proof and may be a storyline, but with a bit of nwa / Lincoln research, you may be able to find out.

Sorry i cant remember names or anything with the following, but one of my fav quotes was when I was younger, I remember going to a holiday caravan site wrestling show, one drunk lad shouted something along the lines of 'this is fake shit', to which one of the wrestlers said something along the lines of 'eastenders is on tv in the bar, is that real enough for you?'.

I think its always worth mentioning the way wrestling spreads over to modern popular culture. The Bundys in the bit comedy Married With Children being named after King Kong Bundy, Bands named after The Von Erichs and Dusty Rhodes and I read on here that this new pop chappy Bruno Mars got his name after Bruno Sammartino. We also had a thread on here recently about wrestlers being name checked in songs.

See Wu Tang Clan

I really don't care anymore, it's just a TV show I like. It's just like Eastenders, except it's filmed in a different way. I don't think it helps that it's on Sky Sports, becuase thats makes non fans think that we think of it as a proper sport, and that they are clever for thinking "look it's fake!!!".

I'd say focus on the entertainment value of the campiness and how it lets adults be big kids, rather than trying to present it as a serious artform. Nobody in the class will be impressed or convinced that it's LEGIT~ and taking that road would solidify the mindset that wrestling fans are too bubbled to see how silly it is.

If you want to present how big an entertainment industry wrestling is, you can also use the TV ratings (Raw has been one of the highest-rated TV shows on American cable for well over a decade), the odd worthwhile stat from WWE's "Did You Know?" self-aggrandisation, and some of the facts and figures from this: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/09/2057...ed-to-sun.html# (which details the economic impact that WrestleMania has on the city that hosts it)

These were both ideas that I had when I started to think about it. I do an Acting course so I wanted to present the fact that wrestling could easily be classed as a form of theatre. You're right though, no point arguing against the camp nature of it, most of my mates think that wearing short trunks and a t-shirt to the ring is piss-your-pants funny.

I'm not trying to persuade people that it's, as you said, legit. More like the whole soap opera aspect of it that people have already mentioned. I've seen more strange things in plays than I've seen in wrestling at the end of the day.

These were both ideas that I had when I started to think about it. I do an Acting course so I wanted to present the fact that wrestling could easily be classed as a form of theatre. You're right though, no point arguing against the camp nature of it, most of my mates think that wearing short trunks and a t-shirt to the ring is piss-your-pants funny.

I'm not trying to persuade people that it's, as you said, legit. More like the whole soap opera aspect of it that people have already mentioned. I've seen more strange things in plays than I've seen in wrestling at the end of the day.

From an academic/performance POV, have a look at this article by Henry Jenkins:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MhMLbP9...and&f=false

The Sharon Mazer book mentioned before is a good shout, as is an edited collection called 'Steel Chair to the Head' (should be easily traceable through google books). I supervised a dissertation on wrestling a few years ago so have come across a few of these books.

ButchReedMark and Ian_HitmanHart sound pretty pathetic to go along with the general consensus and pretend they don't like wrestling. People who say things like "This is all fake shit" tend to be people that are sheep. No one I've talked to has had any problem with me liking wrestling and I've got people into wrestling in some capacity for me being so open about liking it. They're both interesting posters as well which makes it all the more odd. If someone says "it's all fake", you just sarcastically say "Wait, what? It's all fake? Really?!? Oh fuck sake, cheers for spoiling it for me. Shit..." It doesn't take much to outwit someone in that kind of situation when you've got masses of knowledge on the topic, does it?

• Paid Members
ButchReedMark and Ian_HitmanHart sound pretty pathetic to go along with the general consensus and pretend they don't like wrestling. People who say things like "This is all fake shit" tend to be people that are sheep.

Well "barrrr, barrrr", then. Life is much easier when you conform. Its better to lie than to get into a complicated conversation. Thats why I've never brought up the fact I'm Straight Edge and Asexual on here. You'll all have a go at me :(

• Paid Members
ButchReedMark and Ian_HitmanHart sound pretty pathetic to go along with the general consensus and pretend they don't like wrestling. People who say things like "This is all fake shit" tend to be people that are sheep. No one I've talked to has had any problem with me liking wrestling and I've got people into wrestling in some capacity for me being so open about liking it. They're both interesting posters as well which makes it all the more odd. If someone says "it's all fake", you just sarcastically say "Wait, what? It's all fake? Really?!? Oh fuck sake, cheers for spoiling it for me. Shit..." It doesn't take much to outwit someone in that kind of situation when you've got masses of knowledge on the topic, does it?

In a perfect world we would all shout about how much we like wrestling, but it's not that simple really in reality is it! In some social situations, etiquette requires people not admit such things to avoid being judged or becoming the focus of debate.

Shallow? maybe.

Necessity? Sometimes.

More socially acceptable? Certainly.

• Paid Members
And what if there was a wrestling fan amongst your mates who got into the "this is fake/this is good" argument? Would you back your mates up so you look cool despite going against what you actually like? It doesn't even need a long conversation. Just "I like wrestling. If you don't, fine."

Of course not. I'd turn around and say to the lads giving my mate grief "aye, he's into that wrestling shite. Would you dare?" and sell him out before he did the same to me. Wrestling has taught me to sell out your friends, dont trust women, always stand up to your boss because you'll not get the sack and that the Japenese are evil and without fail with Pearl Harbour you.

Archived