Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Paid Members
I too am also stuck, I was compeletely outclassed by the lesser known rules of Albania, which left me stuck in the Ruislip Sweep

Yes, I'm afraid the Albanian amendment is inescapable, even under Canadian rules. Still, the Ruislip Sweep has a couple of crafty, if vague, options - can you spot them, I wonder?

Now, I'm really clutching at straws here, but if I'm using a Ruislip Sweep, can I use the tactics of the late Harold Bishop (not THAT Harold Bishop obviously!) and use a root-basic neanderthal mix tube and say Moorgate? I'm not that familiar with Canadian rules, so forgive me if I've played an illegal move and please be lenient and don't impose a Gascoigne Slap on me for the next three-set.

With an Albanian flavour pouring through this game now by default of the Eastern Block Alliance of 1993, and their dominance on the world game come 1995 after the North American Invitation, you may be prone to an all over body search come your arrival.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curses! I hadn't thought of the equilateral shimmy!

I was going to go for Camden Town, but obviously I can't go there if Thackeray's Accelerator is banned so that rules that move out.

Can anyone help me out here? I can't think of a (legal) move.....

You can still use Hooper's Mainline variation under Canadian Rules, so applying the double-back in this instance will welly your opponent outside the Central Metropolitan area.

And really, the best thing is that with huffs almost completely eliminated from this ruleset, there's no possibility of using any line back in that runs parallel with the Thames at any point. So it's a good defensive strategy as well.

(Edited for misspelling huff).

• Moderators

While you lads have been discussing some of the more intricate Mornington Crescent rules (I never know why every game descends into this pedantry), I have been making some shrewd moves.

I started discreetly by taking the rarely remembered Epping Ongar Railway to get myself into Epping. Clearly no other thought of this move and as such I immediately positioned myself on the Central line undetected and thus impervious from the classic defensive move "The Woodford/Hainault block".

I traveled with ease down the Central line, but the newbie move would to assume one could easily claim the win by changing at Tottenham Court Road and heading straight for Mornington Crescent. As an experienced player (I was ranked top 20 in the south east young boys MC society and only stopped from progressing by the shameful politics of Miles Gilleux - a name I'm sure you all know) I was not going to make this mistake...although given the competition in here perhaps I could have.

I made a positioning move at Oxford Circus. To maintain my cover I stood in the busiest part of the station asking where Hamleys was. When people were sufficiently annoyed with me I made my move to the Victoria line. Now at this point I'm sure you are thinking...ah headed North where you may have been able to invoke a delay at Kings Cross in order to stop me. However, I confused many of you by heading SOUTH...the plan in which is to change at Stockwell and then head up to MC on the Northern line.

Stockwell can be a really dangerous place to use for Mornington Crescent players, but I always ensure that I dress for the days temperature correctly and as such can avoid the dreaded Met-Menezes standoff.

I'm on the home stretch boys...flawless play by myself thus far.

While you lads have been discussing some of the more intricate Mornington Crescent rules (I never know why every game descends into this pedantry), I have been making some shrewd moves.

I started discreetly by taking the rarely remembered Epping Ongar Railway to get myself into Epping. Clearly no other thought of this move and as such I immediately positioned myself on the Central line undetected and thus impervious from the classic defensive move "The Woodford/Hainault block".

That's bullshit, man, that's such FUCKING BULLSHIT. You clearly know NOTHING about Mornington Crescent or you'd know that the Epping Ongar Railway was ruled impermissible after the adoption of Meltzer's Protuberance in the 1997 MC World Championships.

Woodford was such a fucking hack, only a total mong would even think of comparing his strategies to the modern game. You may have been ranked top 20 in some rinky dink indie league, but I've spent the last 5 years of my life working on the Xbox 360 online multiplayer Mornington Crescent and me therefore an EXPERT.

On a side note, I found your post insufferably smug.

I believe a doffing is permitted at this point, as the powerplay has not been declared and the Hammersmith and City line is unencumbered.

With that in mind, I'll try:

Turnham Green

Hmmmm.....Turnham Green. Interesting.

OK then, if that's how you're going to play it, I'll play a double ridgeway and go with Walthamstow Central.

You could play a triple ridgeway to counter my move, but quite frankly it's a matter of how much of a gentleman you are when you play the game.

• Paid Members
I believe a doffing is permitted at this point, as the powerplay has not been declared and the Hammersmith and City line is unencumbered.

Turnham Green

OK then, if that's how you're going to play it, I'll play a double ridgeway and go with Walthamstow Central.

You could play a triple ridgeway to counter my move, but quite frankly it's a matter of how much of a gentleman you are when you play the game.

Bad move. You just left the Dead Man's Travelcard wide open, and allowed me to declare routine maintenance on the Victoria Line. So while you're stuck out there, I'm going to take the Bounds Green shuffle.

• Moderators

That's bullshit, man, that's such FUCKING BULLSHIT. You clearly know NOTHING about Mornington Crescent or you'd know that the Epping Ongar Railway was ruled impermissible after the adoption of Meltzer's Protuberance in the 1997 MC World Championships.

Oh I know all about it Sir. In fact I witnessed it bring down Arthur Smillgood back in the 2001 Bogner Regis MC Classic. He foolishly didn't check to see if that rule was in effect and got stuck at North Weald. Which as we all know is a horrible place to be stuck at.

However, casting a look back on this thread shows that no-one has declared it, nor has the required 3/5ths vote in favour of the rule from all Level 5+ players been achieved. Consequently, the Epping Ongar line is still valid at the present time.

• Paid Members

I traveled with ease down the Central line, but the newbie move would to assume one could easily claim the win by changing at Tottenham Court Road and heading straight for Mornington Crescent. As an experienced player (I was ranked top 20 in the south east young boys MC society and only stopped from progressing by the shameful politics of Miles Gilleux - a name I'm sure you all know) I was not going to make this mistake...although given the competition in here perhaps I could have.

I made a positioning move at Oxford Circus. To maintain my cover I stood in the busiest part of the station asking where Hamleys was. When people were sufficiently annoyed with me I made my move to the Victoria line. Now at this point I'm sure you are thinking...ah headed North where you may have been able to invoke a delay at Kings Cross in order to stop me. However, I confused many of you by heading SOUTH...the plan in which is to change at Stockwell and then head up to MC on the Northern line.

Stockwell can be a really dangerous place to use for Mornington Crescent players, but I always ensure that I dress for the days temperature correctly and as such can avoid the dreaded Met-Menezes standoff.

I'm on the home stretch boys...flawless play by myself thus far.

Almost flawless play, neil, except for one thing: you haven't actually made a move.

Turnham Green

Bad move. You just left the Dead Man's Travelcard wide open, and allowed me to declare routine maintenance on the Victoria Line. So while you're stuck out there, I'm going to take the Bounds Green shuffle.

Bounds Green, eh?

Well, if you're sure....

Mornington Crescent.

That shuffle was the death of you, Chris. You really should have taken notice of the potential for an equilateral grift. And whilst Thackeray's Accelerator is indeed banned, the Wilson's 44 isn't.

Excellent game, gentlemen. Anyone wish to declare any rankings moves? I'm sure Stovold's Almanac will be interested to see some of the plays made here, and as I said, I'll be more than happy to bear witness.

Also - time for another?

• Paid Members

Doffs cap, splendid manouevre!

Another game would go down a treat, although I can not start, the calamine positional hold is in full effect! I'm in need of a muffled right angle coastline weave from another player to get me out this he'll hole known as Winson Green Outer Cirlce!

Barry Merrydent should never have incorported inter grain travel module in 87, it tightened every players gyro flow by minimum 35% he was a visionary but a bugger of a renegade at the same time

• Paid Members

Good to hear a bit of consensus.

What I'll do is wait for further confirmations - it's clear, however, we'll have to play by Canadian rules again to allow as many members as possible to play, so in the interests of variance and diversity, we'll play Canadian rules, Nova Scotia variation (Bret Hart's favourite).

Also, for the purposes of easing your situation, TMS, we'll invoke a two-step delineation prong call. This way, you can't start, but you can escape Winson Green.

Oh, and let's get a bit grimy: Thackeray's Accelerator is now UNBANNED. I expect to see blood, gentlemen.

Well played sir!

I'd like to declare my second fractional for rankings purposes, if all are in agreement.

Now, if you're unbanning Thackeray's Accelerator while playing Nova Scotia variation, that means an unlicensed treble could be seen as early as round two. If one factors in both that and the geographical spread we saw in the last game, I believe an appropriate place to begin would be:

Barons Court

• Paid Members

Ah, the Macedonian Gambit, a tried, tested and most excellent opener. Then I shall respond with a classic perpendicular stack:

Queensway

Archived