Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Paid Members

OK, seeing as we are indeed going to have play under Catch rules (Canadian) from this point, I'm just going to lay down a couple of ground rules until we're back into regular play:

1. The MacLeod Gambit is not permissible without a huff, which, seeing as no-one's cut the North-East Lateral yet, doesn't look very likely.

2. For the sake of unstilted play, NO Thackeray's Accelerators. I'm not having people falling out over dissected perpendiculars, or any other bollocks the purists go on about. This is a gentlemen's game, so if you want to mess about with all that Bogota Convention shite, you can go and play over at Stovold's, they've got more than enough traditionalists over there.

3. For the next play ONLY, major stations are wild.

4. Just in case there was any confusion (there usually isn't, but I'm making absolutely sure), this is Canadian rules, Eastern Ontario variation. I have played Nova Scotia variation before (believe it or not, Bret Hart's an avid player and loves it - I got to have a game with him a few years ago when he came over for the TWC supershow and the FWA show), but it's not popular in Western Europe, and I don't think we have any Hungarians on this board, so we'll keep it simple.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to register any rankings moves, I'll be more than happy to bear official witness for record in Stovold's, so just let me know.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As this is a gentlemans game with open application and multiple players, I assume that I'm allowed to a) play without first having to declare my hand, and b) avoid the bridging functions of the DLR (as we have an even number of players).

With that in mind, and also considering that I'm shooting somewhat blind, I'll try a simple double step:

St James Park.

• Paid Members

It would, if it were not for the mandatory ticket check at this phase, even for casual games. Everybody show your hands, unless you have a double stack or higher, which would be extremely fortunate at this early stage and with players already in Nidd.

Incidentally, I work at the Government Office for Yorkshire and the Humber, and all the rooms/floors etc. have themed names. I am on "First floor Nidd". So I'm always in Nidd. Jealous much?

As this is a gentlemans game with open application and multiple players, I assume that I'm allowed to a) play without first having to declare my hand, and b) avoid the bridging functions of the DLR (as we have an even number of players).

With that in mind, and also considering that I'm shooting somewhat blind, I'll try a simple double step:

St James Park.

Welcome, and I have to say that's a pretty good play. Sometimes simplicity is more effective than any complex tactic, and that double step was smart.

You're right about not having to declare your hand (this isn't a tournament game), and avoiding the DLR bridging, but you can use the DLR while In Nid or In Spoon.

I believe that takes it back to Butch's turn.

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I thought use of the DLR while In Nid meant that one was guilty of committing Portillo? Or is committing Portillo not illegal under Canadian rules, merely frowned upon?

It would, if it were not for the mandatory ticket check at this phase, even for casual games. Everybody show your hands, unless you have a double stack or higher, which would be extremely fortunate at this early stage and with players already in Nidd.

Incidentally, I work at the Government Office for Yorkshire and the Humber, and all the rooms/floors etc. have themed names. I am on "First floor Nidd". So I'm always in Nidd. Jealous much?

Is this not a formality, as all hands In Nid are empty?

I would be jealous of your substantive "In Nid" status except that it must make journeys to the toilet twice as long.

Hope you chaps don't mind me joining in the fun here, I love a good game of MC.

I'm going to go with the tactics recommended in the Sanders Equation and lay down a potentially tricky tangent:

St John's Wood.

Crikey! I didn't see that coming. Doesn't that open the entire lower section (speaking theoretically) to double jeopardy?

Very, very brave but more than a little risky.

I'm going to go with the tactics recommended in the Sanders Equation and lay down a potentially tricky tangent:

St John's Wood.

Crikey! I didn't see that coming. Doesn't that open the entire lower section (speaking theoretically) to double jeopardy?

I like to play a little risky. It makes it more interesting. I once played this move and within three moves, the opponent two to my left had used an eastern sand-block which restricted me to just Ealing Broadway or Bethnal Green. Not a position you want to be in, I'm sure you'll agree.

If - and I stress if - the lower section is indeed opened up to double jeopardy then a reverse Parkinson can be deployed by an experienced (or lucky!) player to leave the next player in a blue cross situation, which at least gets the player off the hook.

• Paid Members
I thought use of the DLR while In Nid meant that one was guilty of committing Portillo? Or is committing Portillo not illegal under Canadian rules, merely frowned upon?

Not while Thackeray's Accelerator is banned, because it means Portillo no longer leads to free-straddling.

St John's Wood.

I like to play a little risky. It makes it more interesting. I once played this move and within three moves, the opponent two to my left had used an eastern sand-block which restricted me to just Ealing Broadway or Bethnal Green. Not a position you want to be in, I'm sure you'll agree.

If - and I stress if - the lower section is indeed opened up to double jeopardy then a reverse Parkinson can be deployed by an experienced (or lucky!) player to leave the next player in a blue cross situation, which at least gets the player off the hook.

It's a very risky strategy, and definitely a very stylish play. It certainly puts the next player at risk if they're in a position to be slapped In Spoon.

Nevertheless, I think I may have an ace up the sleeve, in the form of an equilateral shimmy:

Turnpike Lane

• Paid Members
I too am also stuck, I was compeletely outclassed by the lesser known rules of Albania, which left me stuck in the Ruislip Sweep

Yes, I'm afraid the Albanian amendment is inescapable, even under Canadian rules. Still, the Ruislip Sweep has a couple of crafty, if vague, options - can you spot them, I wonder?

I too am also stuck, I was compeletely outclassed by the lesser known rules of Albania, which left me stuck in the Ruislip Sweep

Yes, I'm afraid the Albanian amendment is inescapable, even under Canadian rules. Still, the Ruislip Sweep has a couple of crafty, if vague, options - can you spot them, I wonder?

Now, I'm really clutching at straws here, but if I'm using a Ruislip Sweep, can I use the tactics of the late Harold Bishop (not THAT Harold Bishop obviously!) and use a root-basic neanderthal mix tube and say Moorgate? I'm not that familiar with Canadian rules, so forgive me if I've played an illegal move and please be lenient and don't impose a Gascoigne Slap on me for the next three-set.

Archived