FSM Thread

Vipes

Another solid issue, as is becoming the norm these days :thumbsup: I even enjoyed RD Reynolds this month. Glad to see John Lister seems to be a regular fixture now, his work's always worth reading.

I enjoyed pretty much all the major features - but as I seem to say every month, the format could do with a shake-up as relates to the columnists at the back, and also the TV roundup, news and reviews sections seem pretty dull and by-the-numbers lately. One of the few things PowerSlam still does well is condensing the month's news and relevant TV happenings into an entertaining and well-written rundown.

I also thought the New Japan feature might have been more interesting if it focused in more depth on the implications of the US shows going forward, or maybe dealt more generally with the way Japanese promotions seem to be seeking to globalise recently, and the reasons for that (perhaps due to the drop in domestic business, increased worldwide exposure through the Internet etc.) There seemed to be a lot of listing of results/running down the events of each night, which I didn't find particularly interesting. These days I'd rather get thought-provoking analysis and opinion from a paper magazine - the facts are available at the drop of a hat online anyway.

It always seems to be the same core of promotions getting coverage at present but I think what they offer is far better than anything UK related they or others have done before. Maybe its because those companies are being more pro active in getting the coverage but it often feels more like its who you know when I see who is getting the spotlight. Again, that is more of an observation than a knock as I think the amount of UK coverage is refreshing and the one to watch piece is always enjoyable and excellent PR for UK guys

Another solid issue, as is becoming the norm these days :thumbsup: I even enjoyed RD Reynolds this month. Glad to see John Lister seems to be a regular fixture now, his work's always worth reading.

I enjoyed pretty much all the major features - but as I seem to say every month, the format could do with a shake-up as relates to the columnists at the back, and also the TV roundup, news and reviews sections seem pretty dull and by-the-numbers lately. One of the few things PowerSlam still does well is condensing the month's news and relevant TV happenings into an entertaining and well-written rundown.

I also thought the New Japan feature might have been more interesting if it focused in more depth on the implications of the US shows going forward, or maybe dealt more generally with the way Japanese promotions seem to be seeking to globalise recently, and the reasons for that (perhaps due to the drop in domestic business, increased worldwide exposure through the Internet etc.) There seemed to be a lot of listing of results/running down the events of each night, which I didn't find particularly interesting. These days I'd rather get thought-provoking analysis and opinion from a paper magazine - the facts are available at the drop of a hat online anyway.

Thanks for the kind words, and the constructive criticism.

I admit that our TV reports section takes some reading in terms of length, but it's designed for people who haven't been following the TV and pay-per-view shows in much detail. We may end up running a poll to see if this accounts for much of our readership, as the last thing we want to do is tell all of our readers something they already know.

Regarding the NJPW article, it's simply impossible to tell what their next step will be on foreign soil - and that's assuming that there will be a next step. Since it was the first ever full show in North America, I felt it was worth covering in detail, especially since we had excellent photos from the events.

Edited by Brian Elliott

• Awards Moderator

Thanks for the kind words, and the constructive criticism.

I admit that our TV reports section takes some reading in terms of length, but it's designed for people who haven't been following the TV and pay-per-view shows in much detail. We may end up running a poll to see if this accounts for much of our readership, as the last thing we want to do is tell all of our readers something they already know.

Regarding the NJPW article, it's simply impossible to tell what their next step will be on foreign soil - and that's assuming that there will be a next step. Since it was the first ever full show in North America, I felt it was worth covering in detail, especially since we had excellent photos from the events.

My problem with the TV reports is that they don't seem very balanced. By that, I mean that the majority of the results give you a recap of major events, feuds, and other developments - they serve as a good catch-up, and are basically objective and straight to the point. Except the TNA bit, which always reads like an opinion piece - the results and everything else are still there, but the amount of "...which was rubbish" comments, or words to that effect, after them seems much higher than in the respective parts on RAW, Ultimate Fighter etc.

I don't know whether the TNA bit is written by someone different, or if the person writing it just can't hide his dislike for TNA, but I've noticed it in a few issues now.

Haven't read much of the latest issue yet but the Randy Savage article was great. It was good in a way that it covered everything except his accomplishments in WWE and WCW, giving more room for lesser-known stories, his hirings and leavings of companies, Memphis etc. But if there was an intention to do a companion piece about the things everyone has heard of, that'd be good too.

It always seems to be the same core of promotions getting coverage at present but I think what they offer is far better than anything UK related they or others have done before. Maybe its because those companies are being more pro active in getting the coverage but it often feels more like its who you know when I see who is getting the spotlight. Again, that is more of an observation than a knock as I think the amount of UK coverage is refreshing and the one to watch piece is always enjoyable and excellent PR for UK guys

Had the exact same discussion with someone the other day.

It does seem that unless you are in a certain group then you don't get a look in!

I do believe myself and a few others are putting on as good a product as anyone in this Country, if not better!.

It does seem that unless you are in a certain group then you don't get a look in!

I do believe myself and a few others are putting on as good a product as anyone in this Country, if not better!.

I notice this point has been overlooked twice now by Brian despite giving feedback on other points above.

Am i the only person who skips the columnists? I used to read all of them but i have reached the point where i'm thinking 'Do i care what they think?' or 'Does somebody actually get paid to write a column called 'the crap shoot' which is about as good as the average forum post?'

I enjoyed the Macho Article for what it was, the start was a bit slow, WCW got overlooked and there was no mention of his falling out with Vince but i did enjoy certian bits and some of it was new to me despite beign a huge randy Savage fan

If i'm honest i dotn find the magazine a 'must-read' like i did say 2 years ago or even this time last year

Altho i must add I dont miss the old bret hart sytle hair editor, he came across as cluless

Edited by melina_mma

Oh, 100%. But then don't some promotions pay to advertise with them? I'm sure that certain ones have a deal with FSM, regarding coverage. Which is fair enough I guess, magazines aren't democracies. But it would be nice to see coverage of guys not affiliated with the large umbrella group. Especially when a few of them are bloody good and a breath of fresh air.

I'd love to be able to extensively feature some of the less well-known UK promotions (not a knock on their quality of product), but it's difficult for a number of reasons. For one, if I get an e-mail about the British wrestling scene, there's an 85% chance that it's about a guy with the notoriety of a Zack Sabre Jnr. Since I get lots of positive e-mails about him, and none about guys who I've not personally seen live, it's hard for me to ignore guys on Zack's level to feature those who don't have the same name-value.

One thing I am always on the look-out for is talented writers in various areas of the country. That way, we can get them to more shows and therefore provide more feedback about UK wrestlers and promotions to our readers. If it were up to me, I'd have two writers in every county in the UK, going to every show imaginable. The stumbling block, of course, is finding writers with the desire to do that. If you are a writer and would be willing to attend shows (we'll organise your tickets), please e-mail me at contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk.

Oh, 100%. But then don't some promotions pay to advertise with them? I'm sure that certain ones have a deal with FSM, regarding coverage. Which is fair enough I guess, magazines aren't democracies. But it would be nice to see coverage of guys not affiliated with the large umbrella group. Especially when a few of them are bloody good and a breath of fresh air.

There is absolutely, positively, no deal to "buy" coverage in FSM. You can buy an advert, but you cannot buy coverage. Now, have I had more conversations with promoters who are buying an advert, than those who are not? In general, the answer is yes, because I have to give the "ok" to any adverts, and I've had to have conversations with promoters when I've vetoed their suggestions. But I repeat, you cannot purchase coverage in FSM.

I notice this point has been overlooked twice now by Brian despite giving feedback on other points above.

I honestly can't get why people don't understand it. I'll cover it and give you the definitive answer.

There are a number of points.

FSM is a BUSINESS, not some kids playing at wrestling and picking favourites. It is funny because the people who winge about not getting coverage should maybe be more professional and seek out HOW TO GET COVERAGE. This is how it works, FSM have an allocation of space for British Wrestling, they know, like we all know, does nothing to actually sell copies of the magazine. It's a prividlige that they cover it at all.

So the question I ask somebody is to define "promoter" - the aim is to promote (to push to the forefront) of everybody else and make your product noticed. FSM allows great promotion of your event direct to Wrestling Fans. It's FREE, but this is where the stupidity creeps in. FSM work on a budget, they have to spend the budget on items that will help shift magazines. They do not have it to spend on a photographer to go photo said events. They do not have the budget to pay a writer to goto the events because they need to spend the money on the areas that will generate sales (i.e WWE / TNA news, interviews, pictures etc etc) But it would seem that people are unwilling to do the PROMOTIONAL side of it. You need to make the effort if you want in. The UK news is heavily based around the FWA / BWC / Showstealer productions stuff, it is. But for good reason is because nobody works AS HARD to make it happen. Interesting stories, great pictures, constant effort, I bet they have enough stories each month to fill the section twice over and often miss out on stuff they would like to have got in.

Send your stuff in, do NOT expect FSM to go to huge lengths to do YOU a favour, they don't have time to goto your website, chase you for the news, they do not owe you anything, you infact owe them, because they are offering you a space of advertising (

Totally agree Mark. I have advertised and had pieces included which is why I said it might be due to people not trying to get the coverage. I think the one to watch segments are great to get individuals noticed.

Now the "bought" section, it is no secret in the world of advertising the people that advertise get preferencial treatment.

Just to add to the above: when all other things are equal (reader interest level, for example), then we're naturally going to be more inclined to cover the promotions that we know and have worked with.

One thing I am always on the look-out for is talented writers in various areas of the country. That way, we can get them to more shows and therefore provide more feedback about UK wrestlers and promotions to our readers. If it were up to me, I'd have two writers in every county in the UK, going to every show imaginable. The stumbling block, of course, is finding writers with the desire to do that. If you are a writer and would be willing to attend shows (we'll organise your tickets), please e-mail me at contact@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk.

How exactly would that work Brian?