FSM Thread

Vipes

Hi folks,

The new issue of FSM is now in all good newsagents, and from http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp.

As always, this month's magazine is stacked with news, reviews, columns and features, including an examination of WWE under the management of Triple-H; a first-hand account of everything that took place across WrestleMania weekend; an interview with Wade Barrett; Sting's crazy start to 2011 in TNA; the most in-depth breakout of the wXw 16 Carat Gold tournament anywhere; how the British Wrestling Coalition is improving life for UK-based wrestlers; how the NCAA tournament spawned stars of pro wrestling and MMA; and a detailed look at the UFC's purchase of Strikeforce.

I hope you'll consider picking the magazine up, and offering your feedback in this thread. :)

Bought my copy today on lunch so far I've only read the first piece on Triple H's backstage role.

I thought it was really well written and made a lot of valid points about the good/bad aspects of HHH as a performer and a member of the booking committee.

• Paid Members

Slight niggle - the "Rock" issue on the cover advertised a review of Undisputed. Flipping to the contents page of the reviews section, it told me what page I could find the Undisputed review (as well as Sheikie baby YouShoot). Flipped to that page, and it was the back issues pages. Cover to cover I read.... no Undisputed review.

Slight niggle - the "Rock" issue on the cover advertised a review of Undisputed. Flipping to the contents page of the reviews section, it told me what page I could find the Undisputed review (as well as Sheikie baby YouShoot). Flipped to that page, and it was the back issues pages. Cover to cover I read.... no Undisputed review.

There's an apology for that in this month's issue. Apparently a result of a situation beyond FSM's control, which is fair enough if true, mistakes happen - but it doesn't really look good for a magazine which is trying to shake off a reputation for being a touch shoddy and unprofessional. Hopefully just a blip, and at least they addressed the issue. I imagine Sheriff Denton would have let it pass without comment.

Not finished reading the new issue yet, but its been pretty solid so far. Top marks to Brian really, I'm not going to argue that FSM is the greatest publication on the market but he's certainly turned it into something well worth reading, which is a lot more than Denton or his nondescript successor ever managed. I hope you can keep moving forward and providing a positive and refreshing counterpoint to PowerSlam's sneering 90's smark outlook. BEGGING you to change the columnists at the back though, I couldn't be less interested in hearing any more from Lance Storm or Bill Apter, and RD Reynolds gives new meaning to the term "phoning it in." There must be somebody else out there articulate enough to write a monthly column and who has something a bit more fresh and interesting to contribute?

I love Apter's stuff as a bit of PWI-style nostalgia, but this month's column was a bit all over the place chronologically: -

His son was nine-years old in 1995. Fascinated with Goldberg, Mysterio and Sting. In 1995, Goldberg wasn't wrestlng, and Mysterio was still in Mexico.

He goes on, When his son was 10 he went backstage and saw Sting just after he'd had a match with Vader (in 1996?)

All niggling aside though, FSM has been very good recently, loved the WXW and WM Weekend bits this month, keep up the good work!

I bought Power Slam yesterday. Last month's was good, this month's is full of so much crap I think I'll buy FSM next month if only to stick it to Power Slam just a little!

Did a new issue come out yesterday? The last one I saw was the one with Triple H. I can only imagine how shit the current/next issue will be, I'm expecting four pages of McMahon Quarterly (or whatever it's called) ranting about the WWE rebranding.

Thank you for the kind words.

There was indeed an error in last month's issue, that was beyond FSM's control. To say that it was frustrating would be a massive understatement, but the problem has been dealt with internally, and will not occur again.

We have now put the missing reviews online for anyone to read. Here's the link to our Facebook page, which should explain everything: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?stor...id=121413230346

• Awards Moderator
Hi folks,

The new issue of FSM is now in all good newsagents, and from http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp.

As always, this month's magazine is stacked with news, reviews, columns and features, including an examination of WWE under the management of Triple-H; a first-hand account of everything that took place across WrestleMania weekend; an interview with Wade Barrett; Sting's crazy start to 2011 in TNA; the most in-depth breakout of the wXw 16 Carat Gold tournament anywhere; how the British Wrestling Coalition is improving life for UK-based wrestlers; how the NCAA tournament spawned stars of pro wrestling and MMA; and a detailed look at the UFC's purchase of Strikeforce.

I hope you'll consider picking the magazine up, and offering your feedback in this thread. :)

Bought the magazine on the strength of this post. The only article that didn't appeal to me on first glance was the Sting one - but I'm currently halfway through it and it's pretty interesting. It's the first issue I've bought for about three months (last one was the one with Orton on the cover) and I think there's a noticeable improvement even from then.

It's good that FSM's trying to keep as up to date as possible - the WrestleMania features were great as the event's still fresh in the mind - but it's a shame that news in wrestling happens so quickly, it's impossible to keep up completely. I mean, it's been, what, two or three weeks, and already we've had Edge retiring, Sin Cara wrestling his debut matches, the official press release about the rebranding, and Kharma's vignettes... I'm guessing an Edge feature is in the works for next month.

Two little nitpicks: It's a shame there are still spelling errors - they're all ones that wouldn't come up on a spellcheck ('the' in place of 'they', 'Trash' instead of 'Trish', and the second of those had better not have been intentional!) but an additional round of proof-reading wouldn't go amiss. I'll do it for a bit of cash :thumbsup: . I also echo the thoughts on Apter and Reynolds - I get that Apter's a bit of a nostalgia trip but I'm just not interested in what Reynolds goes on about for his half a page. I can see the efforts to be more balanced and objective - the opening HHH article has a good go at covering the positive and the negative - but occasionally, smarkism creeps in (e.g. the TV round-ups. RAW: summary of events. SmackDown: summary of events. Impact: TNA SUX!). It's getting there, though, and the HHH article was a good read.

Looking on the positive, though, I bought the issue not out of habit but because just about every article/feature/interview appealed to me, and it's made for a nice Friday night crashed-out-on-the-sofa read. So two thumbs up there :thumbsup:

If you're taking requests... I'd really like if there was an article on how to go about planning a trip to WrestleMania - info on what travel packages are, how to book and when to make plans, and so on. I know there are a couple of threads about that subject on here (which I am planning to read soon as I'm keen on trying to persuade my friends to go to Miami next year) but a handy feature in print that consolidates all the various info would be something I'd be very interested in reading. I'm sure others would feel the same. Just a thought, anyway.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I bought Power Slam yesterday. Last month's was good, this month's is full of so much crap I think I'll buy FSM next month if only to stick it to Power Slam just a little!

Did a new issue come out yesterday? The last one I saw was the one with Triple H. I can only imagine how shit the current/next issue will be, I'm expecting four pages of McMahon Quarterly (or whatever it's called) ranting about the WWE rebranding.

I mean I bought the one with Triple H on the cover. I don't know how long it's been out. It was a pretty painful reading experience though overall.

I mean I bought the one with Triple H on the cover. I don't know how long it's been out. It was a pretty painful reading experience though overall.

Bought it the day it came out as I now do out of habit with PowerSlam. Usually read cover to cover, haven't read a bit yet. Flicked through and just didn't interest me for some reason.

I agree that the columnists need shaking up. Also, I'd like to hear them talk more about 'current affairs' than any old thing they can be arsed to write about. They can start a web blog to do that.

Lance Storm's column is fine, but just comes across as a bit boring now probably due to the length of time it has spanned. I find Nick Aldis to be ok, but his subject matter is always so random and directionless. And Bill Apter's columns always somehow seem to revolve around him and who he knows, which again to me is suitable for his personal web blog, not a wrestling magazine. And the RD Reynolds one is dreadful. Last month's about Velvet Sky's bra size? Come on, that's just lazy.

A new panel of columnists would be much appreciated, and, along with a new look, would in my opinion complete the fresh overhaul of the magazine.

I've suggested him before, but Mark Madden would a great FSM columnist I believe. Some of his Wrestlezone columns are excellent, and he always writes about current wrestling affairs in an entertaining manner, whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Edited by A.P.