FSM Thread

Vipes

kn9sx.jpg

Issue 70 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

In this month's issue, FSM has extensive features on Daniel Bryan's year in WWE since his return at SummerSlam 2010; How Alex Riley has made the most of his WWE chances; How TNA can be reinvigorated by the X-Division; FSM examines Austin Aries' deserved spot in mainstream wrestling; Why pro wrestlers must do more to protect their characters; Is Pro Wrestling NOAH relying too much on Kenta Kobashi?; FSM delves into the life of the legendary Jim Londos; and where does one draw the line on performance-enhancers?

All of this, plus our regular news, reviews, TV/PPV reports, and columns - a full 84-pages at the comparatively low price of

Edited by Brian Elliott

Send me an e-mail at brian@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk. It's been a busy week, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :)

Send me an e-mail to brian@fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk with a sample of your writing, and some background about you. The sample of writing doesn't have to be of Pulitzer Prize level; for now, I'm just looking for people are enthusiastic but fair to provide some feedback to the shows. We will, of course, speak to the promoter in your area about getting you access to the show.

Are you sure your prepared to do this Brian??? :/

Can't recommend the latest mag enough. Really strong articles this month.

I've read Ditch's online Puropulse articles for a few years, and the Kobashi article in FSM was a very good piece. I like the variety of the articles in FSM, and how it does cover other aspects of wrestlingwith it's articles while of course covering TNA, WWE, MMA etc.

• 4 weeks later...

2q9w2ys.jpg

The new edition of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

In this jam-packed issue, we go in-depth with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin about his career, and pro wrestling in 2011; look at TNA's Crimson, and consider why his push isn't clicking with crowds; explore Mark Henry's 15 years in WWE, and why his athletic background has stood him in good stead; FSM talks to Daniel Bryan about his twelve months in WWE; look back on how it was Smackdown that first brought people together after the tragedy of 9/11; how Dragon Gate is bucking the trend by prospering in Japan; FSM highlights the wrestlers who have entertained us the most down the years; and we celebrate the 50th birthday of Jim Cornette with some stories from his past.

All of this, plus our regular news, reviews, and columns from Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, Bill Apter, and RD Reynolds.

The cheapest way to receive FSM as a print magazine is by subscribing here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp However, if you prefer to pick us up on your travels, you can do so at any top newsagent. If they don't stock FSM, please ask them to reserve a copy for you each month.

Please enjoy reading, and feel free to leave any feedback in this thread. We are committed to continuing to produce the best pro wrestling magazine available, and would love to know which subjects you'd like FSM to cover in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Start a blog (Wordpress etc) and write as many different types of articles (news, features, live event reports, DVD reviews etc) as you can, and send a link to each new article to every pro wrestling news/information site that you can find. Once you've found a style of writing which suits you, start contacting those same websites asking if you can contribute to them. Once you've created a good resume of online work, then it's time to start pestering newspapers and magazines...

Hi Brian,

I'm also interested in getting into wrestling journalism, and I find your advice really helpful. I've started up a blog, which you are welcome to have a look at http://sowblog-superstarsofwrestling.blogspot.com/, but I would be interested to know which websites you think would be the best ones to send links to.

By the way, I picked up FSM for the first time this month to pass the time on the train, and found it to be a really good read. I especially enjoyed the artilcle about the post-9/11 Smackdown, and the piece about the history of comedy performers in wrestling; both were really interesting and well-written. The Steve Austin interview was great as well. If I could pick one thing to improve about the mag, it would be more ringside photography from WWE events, but other than that I think you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

Edited by TJE

Issue 72 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

4hoxn6.jpg

In this issue, we have features on:

- Sting, who gives possibly the most in-depth interview of his career, opening up on the Starrcade 1997 screwjob, how close he was to joining WWE earlier this year, his disastrous match with Jeff Hardy at Victory Road, and what he really thinks of the TNA creative team

- Sheamus, as he experiences a new push back to the top of WWE

- WWE's upcoming tour of Mexico, and how they have big plans for this developing market

- WWE Diva Natalya, as she talks to FSM about the Hart family, and her current pact with Beth Phoenix

- PAC, "The Man That Gravity Forgot", and how he has become one of the most spectacular and consistent wrestlers on the planet

- "Gentleman" Chris Adams, who led a remarkable life until his death 10 years ago

- The historians who are helping us discover more about the sport we love

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. We also have our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds offering up the benefit of their experience in the pro wrestling business.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp However, if you prefer to pick up FSM on your travels, WH Smith and Easons are the most consistent FSM stockists. For other outlets, please consider asking your newsagent to reserve you a copy each month.

We believe that since the turn of the year, FSM has evolved into the most detailed, varied, and thought-provoking pro wrestling magazine available anywhere. If you haven't sampled a recent issue, please consider doing so; if you have, please post here and let others know your honest opinions.

Enjoy the magazine!

Hi Brian, I'm also interested in getting into wrestling journalism, and I find your advice really helpful. I've started up a blog, which you are welcome to have a look at http://sowblog-superstarsofwrestling.blogspot.com/, but I would be interested to know which websites you think would be the best ones to send links to.By the way, I picked up FSM for the first time this month to pass the time on the train, and found it to be a really good read. I especially enjoyed the artilcle about the post-9/11 Smackdown, and the piece about the history of comedy performers in wrestling; both were really interesting and well-written. The Steve Austin interview was great as well. If I could pick one thing to improve about the mag, it would be more ringside photography from WWE events, but other than that I think you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words about FSM.Regarding websites to send your work to - send links to all of them! Google "Wrestling news", find e-mail addresses, and send the link to everyone with a covering letter. If there's interest, someone will get back you; if there's not, keep trying!

Hi Brian, I'm also interested in getting into wrestling journalism, and I find your advice really helpful. I've started up a blog, which you are welcome to have a look at http://sowblog-superstarsofwrestling.blogspot.com/, but I would be interested to know which websites you think would be the best ones to send links to.By the way, I picked up FSM for the first time this month to pass the time on the train, and found it to be a really good read. I especially enjoyed the artilcle about the post-9/11 Smackdown, and the piece about the history of comedy performers in wrestling; both were really interesting and well-written. The Steve Austin interview was great as well. If I could pick one thing to improve about the mag, it would be more ringside photography from WWE events, but other than that I think you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words about FSM.Regarding websites to send your work to - send links to all of them! Google "Wrestling news", find e-mail addresses, and send the link to everyone with a covering letter. If there's interest, someone will get back you; if there's not, keep trying!
Thanks very much for getting back to me; the advice and encouragement are much appreciated.Cheers! Edited by TJE

I got my issue today, first one since subscribing. Seems good from what I have read. I would like to see some more articles about 80s territorial wrestling and 90s Japanese wrestling (particularly AJPW and Michinoku Pro).

We do try our best of include an historical article of some nature every month. This time around, that was about Chris Adams - a story I believe any wrestling fan would find captivating. We managed to track down his famous brother, Neil Adams, which allowed us to get closer to Chris than anyone really has previously.

Top marks for FSM. I've enjoyed it since I first picked it up last year, but there has definitely been a rapid increase in quality as of the past few months. I've really enjoyed the past few issues. The only reason I don't buy it more is because it's not locally available and I need to travel into Glasgow to get it. Power Slam is available in my local newsagents and that's the only reason I would choose to buy PS: because I can't find FSM, so if you can improve your distribution then I probably wouldn't bother buying Power Slam ever again, as I would just choose FSM.In fact, do FSM do the "newsagent reserves a copy" thing? If so, might choose to do that as I do it already with Zero Tolerance (another magazine which suffers from woeful distribution).

Top marks for FSM. I've enjoyed it since I first picked it up last year, but there has definitely been a rapid increase in quality as of the past few months. I've really enjoyed the past few issues. The only reason I don't buy it more is because it's not locally available and I need to travel into Glasgow to get it. Power Slam is available in my local newsagents and that's the only reason I would choose to buy PS: because I can't find FSM, so if you can improve your distribution then I probably wouldn't bother buying Power Slam ever again, as I would just choose FSM.In fact, do FSM do the "newsagent reserves a copy" thing? If so, might choose to do that as I do it already with Zero Tolerance (another magazine which suffers from woeful distribution).

Thanks for the kind words.If you've enjoyed the last few months of FSM, I'd compel you to subscribe, simply because it is both the cheapest and easiest way to receive the magazine. The details are here, and I'll leave it up to you to work out how much you'd save not just on the cover price, but also on travelling to your newsagent to get it. :)http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.aspStill, if you prefer to pick it up on your travels, you can reserve it. Any sensible newsagent will do this; a friend of mine reserves his from one of those short corridor-like newsagents at the bottom of his road. Edited by Brian Elliott

• 4 weeks later...

zx4enb.jpg

The new issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

In Issue 73, we have features on:

- The career of Bobby Roode, and his rise to the top of TNA

- An in-depth interview with Mickie James, covering her start in the business, making it to WWE, and settling down in TNA

- Which WWE wrestlers should move to TNA, and vice versa?

- How 20 years ago, Ric Flair made a huge impact on the WWF by jumping from World Championship Wrestling

- How WWE is to blame for the fans' love-hate relationship with John Cena

- FSM interviews Sheamus about his new babyface role in WWE

- Why two decades after his death, it seems that there will never be another character like Dick The Bruiser

- How catch wrestling went from the mines of Wigan to the grandest stage of MMA

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. We also have our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds offering up the benefit of their experience in the pro wrestling business.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp . However, if you prefer to pick up FSM on your travels, WH Smith and Easons are the most consistent FSM stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking your newsagent to reserve you a copy each month.

We believe that since the turn of the year, FSM has evolved into the most detailed, varied, and thought-provoking pro wrestling magazine available anywhere. If you haven't sampled a recent issue, please consider doing so; if you have, please post here and let others know your honest opinions.

Enjoy the magazine!