UFC 125: Resolution * Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Best event top to bottom that they've done in ages. Probably the first time I can remember an event that looked excellent on paper actually delivering.

Guida-Gomi was interesting. I'm loving Guida's development. He's been utterly entertaining as an all action punch bag but this was a really smart performance that mixed some of his energy and movement with an ability to avoid shots and deliver them. Very, very good outing.

Diaz-Kim was another good battle. Kim's dominance on the ground was impressive but the fight was never boring because of Diaz ability to hit from the bottom and to make Kim work hard to hold him. The last round was very exciting as Diaz brought everything. Not sure why the crowd booed because it was obviously the right result, 29-28 Kim.

Silva and Vera was the worst fight on the card but still a decent contest. Vera came out flying at the start of each round but Silva controlled him easily after that. While not particularly sporting, it was funny to see Silva taking the piss. That nose was nasty.

Stann-Leben was awesome. I didn't think Stann had it in him to dominate a guy like Leben in that manner. This was everything MMA is at it's best, edge of your seat entertainment. Speaking of which...

The main event was outstanding. The first round was just brilliant and lord knows how Edgar got out of it. Seeing him come back to dominate round 2 was incredible. Truly incredible. That slam was just beautiful. One of several wrestling moves, including Silva hitting double axe handles and Maynard hitting what looked for all the world to be a DDT. Outstanding contest between two guys who deserve a load more respect then they get. I thought it was 48-46 Maynard. 47 each I can understand but disagree with. 48-46 Edgar is just plain wrong.

Awesome show.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Was coming on here to pimp the Brown vs Nunes fight, I'll deffo echo Ebb's praise for that one. Track it down if you can, cracking fight.

Somehow forgot to mention the DHK-Diaz fight too. I enjoyed that one too, was a tad surprised Kim did so well on the feet but for once Diaz never had the reach advantage he enjoyed at LW so maybe that made the difference.

Who's everyone wanna see Thiago Silva fight next? I've seen some good shouts on here for the Jones/Bader or Griffin/Franklin winners. I've got a feeling we might ger Thiago Silva vs Rampage next which could be a war.

Really enjoyed the show overall. The main was excellent. I probably had it 48-46 and I struggle to see how you could give any of the last four to Maynard, but I thought it should probably have been over in the first. A rematch should be interesting.

As far as the Diaz fight goes, the judging criteria MUST be changed. Top position is not automatically an advantage. If it was, why would anyone pull guard, ever? DHK got takedowns but lost the stand-up in every round and never threatened on the ground. He attempted to pass a few times but never landed more than a couple of shots and attempted no subs. Diaz didn't land big shots from the bottom (except maybe the up kick) but he landed lots and was consistently more aggressive and was not miles away from subs on at least three occasions. Also, Lavigne ruled the knee as legal, so Diaz got robbed in the last round anyway, when he should have gog a TKO. Until it's made clear to the judges that guard is a neutral position and takedowns are positional adjustments, not offensive moves, MMA scoring will remain intrinsically anti-jiu jitsu and guys will lay and pray because they know that's what wins fights. Utter bullshit.

A great show from start to finish. I had the main event scored as a draw. I gave Maynard the first round 10-8 and then the 3rd round as well, with Edgar winning the others. It was a really fun fight to watch, miles better than most expected. I'm just a little gutted we won't get to see Edgar vs. Pettis anytime soon, that's a fight i'd love to see.

Stann looked great, I was expecting Leban to finish him in the first couple of minutes but Stann destroyed him. I thought it was a kind of lose-lose fight for Leban after the momentum he'd built up, hopefully he comes back strong next time.

Vera is done, i've always liked him but he just doesn't have the heart for a fight anymore. For about a minute at the start I thought he is coming out to win then Silva just shut him down. Not taking anything away from Silva, he's is a beast, but Vera is finished in my opinion.

I love watching Guida. Gomi just didn't have a clue how to handle his style. Another win or two against high level guys and Guida should be in line for a title shot.

The prelims were fun. Baroni looked good at the start but he has to be finished in the UFC now, a shame as if he had gone for the kill when he rocked Tavares he might have won the fight. The same can be said for Marcus Davis, as a fan of Davis I don't enjoy watching him now because I always think he's gonna get KO'd. Poirier looked great, Aldo surely would've destroyed Grispi if that fight had gone ahead. It was nice to see Ninja get another win as well.

The Nunes vs Brown fight wasn't shown at the end of the live showing on ESPN by any chance was it? I was hoping to see that fight on the night and am glad Nunes got the win

No, they showed Roberts vs Soto and then Baroni vs Tavares.

I've only been watching UFC since May just gone, some good stuff and some boring stuff from what I have watched for the last several months. However, this and the previous PPV have been my favourite by far. I don't care too much for the ground work (when it's just ground work anyway), I do love a good knock out and I appreciate some of the ground work leading to a tap out. I got most of that from the last couple of PPV's so that has contributed towards them being my favourite.

The main event was quite incredible and I think overall a draw was a fair result. Edgar's fight back and (imo) winning 3 of the last 4 rounds certainly contributed to him clawing back the points he lost in the 1st. Looking forward to the rematch.

There's something about Leben I just don't like, so was quite happy to see him get punched to shit.

Also, does Guida remind anyone else of RVD? I'm meaning more his mannerisms than his fighting technique.

• Paid Members
I've only been watching UFC since May just gone, some good stuff and some boring stuff from what I have watched for the last several months. However, this and the previous PPV have been my favourite by far. I don't care too much for the ground work (when it's just ground work anyway), I do love a good knock out and I appreciate some of the ground work leading to a tap out. I got most of that from the last couple of PPV's so that has contributed towards them being my favourite.

give it time Steve, the more you watch the more appreciation you'll have for what goes on on the ground.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching this last night. Really enjoyed it from top to bottom. Guida looked incredible & totally confised Gomi, I'm hoping for Pearson/Gomi next.

Silva/Vera was OK with Silva looking pumped & scary, Brandon Vera couldn't handle him & despite putting on a brave face (especially considering his nose

• Paid Members

I like Dead Mike's suggestion of Takanori Gomi vs Ross Pearson. If Pearson gets by Spencer Fisher next month that would be a great fight. In fact Gomi vs Fisher would be good too.

I'm also hoping for Guida vs Sotiropoulos if Georgy beats Dennis Siver.

Does anyone know if there was any trash talk before the Vera/Silva fight? Silva just looked like he hated Vera with the trash talk at the end of round 1 and the slapping in round 3. It's not the kind of disrespect I'd assume Silva to show so was just wondering if there was some underlying reasons for it.

Archived