UFC 125: Resolution * Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

Was a good show in the end the last 2 fights saved it for me, had high expectations for the under card but the fights just didn't hit the spot for me. Saying that I could watch Vera get smashed in the face all day long so I did enjoy that fight and that nose looked nasty at the end.

I was shocked to see Leben get took apart like that he took an incredible pounding but I was still expecting him to get up at the end there. The main event shocked me as I was one of the people expecting a bit of a snooze fest but wow that 1st round was unbelievable how Edgar got out of it I'll never know. It reminded me of the Lesnar/Carwin fight with Edgar getting smashed from all angles but they guy has some heart to come back from that.

I had it down as a draw also which I was expecting after the 10-8 in the 1st round, I wouldn't say no to an immediate rematch either was a great way to finish the 1st show of the year.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good show, although everyone I wanted to win (Leben, Diaz, Gomi and Baroni) lost and the main event was a Draw!

I hope Gomi doesn't get cut but I really think Vera will, his heart just doesn't seem to be in it anymore. Silva is a beast and still top 5 in the division if you ask me, let him face the winner of Forrest and Franklin and I think he'd beat either of em.

I feel Diaz maybe should of won, he was aggresive and constantly looked for submission attempts, it really does seem that if you are on top you're automatically the winner in the judges eyes, Stun Gun will gain no fan following and I'm pretty sure no one is excited to watch him fight again, he's like another Jon Fitch.

It really does seem that if you are on top you're automatically the winner in the judges eyes

This has been brought up several times with Joe Rogan and Dana White, they aint happy about this fact either and something must change. So much for Lebens hot streak, hopefully Wanderlei Vs Leben or possibly Nate "The Great" next.

Again with the Main Event. I also cant see where the 48-46 score card came for Gray Maynard, he won one round clearly the first possibly snatching another giving him 47/50 but the other rounds Frankie came across as the better man. As for the WEC Lightweight champion Pettis, hes got plenty of footage to study each fighter and figure out how to deliver that kick again (haha)

Bring on UFC 126 (looks to be one hell of a card)

• Paid Members

Final two fights were crackers. As much as I like Leben I was happy for Stann to win in such a convincing fashion, there's something about an ex-marine with a buzz cut and square jaw smashing fools that appeals to me.

I had the fight down as a draw but didn't think the judges would do that way too. Great fight though, looking forward to the rematch, just a shame Pettis is going to have to wait for his shot.

I agree about Thiago Silva taking on the winner of Griffin/Franklin. That'd be another top fight.

As for Wanderlei taking on Leben or Marquardt, I don't think it'd be a great move for him to face someone coming off a loss (unless it's Chael Sonnen) so I think Marquardt vs Leben would maybe be a better bet?

Just watched the post fight press conference and it was confirmed that Pettis will get his shot at Edgar next as originally planned so Maynard will have to wait

Dana changed his mind less than two hours later and decided it will be Edgar/Maynard III first. Personally I wish they would have stuck with what was originally announced and done the Edgar/Pettis unification fight, and then given Maynard the winner. Maynard had his shot and couldn't get the job done, and this very well may leave Pettis out in limbo, probably until the end of the year.

• Paid Members
Just watched the post fight press conference and it was confirmed that Pettis will get his shot at Edgar next as originally planned so Maynard will have to wait

Nah, Dana said after the PC that he had changed his mind and Maynard was getting another shot.

Good show. Edgar took a hammering in that first round, credit to him. Great fight considering the bad press it was getting. I thought Edgar had it. Thought we'd see alot more of Grays wrestling.

Can't believe Stann handled Leben with somewhat ease. Leben was away with the fairies. Stann is nails.

Thiago Silva looked massive. Vera seemed helpless underneath him. The standup parts were great, Vera couldn't keep it the way he wanted it though. Reading the winner of Bones/Bader get Silva next.

Enjoyed Kim's handling of Diaz. I do like Diaz, but there was something about Kim that I liked here. Diaz couldn't get anything going at all.

Guida makes me tired. From his entrance up until the fight ends he's buzzing. Stayed composed and stuck to the gameplan. On the up again it seems.

Gutted for Baroni. He'll probably get cut, but he always brings the entertainment. Jeremy Stephens KO of Davis was on the button too. He took a diving hammerfist that was brutal too. Grispi got mauled. imagine what would have happened if it was Aldo!

Roll on 126.

Ahh my bad then but yeah I'm with you that Pettis should get 1st shot as that's what was lined up for a long time then you could have Maynard getting a shot at the winner, seems unfair to Pettis.

Yeah, it's real unfair to Pettis and the guy has a fair bit of momentum at the moment. He's in a tough predicament now; does he pull a Rashad and not take any fights until he gets his title shot (guessing Octoberish), or does he do what Josh Grispi did, take a fight, lose it and then cost himself the shot?

• Paid Members

Loved the entire show. I saw the main event like this

Round 1 - Maynard 10-8 / possibly even 10-7

Round 2 - Edgar 10-9

Round 3 - Maynard 10-9

Round 4 - Edgar 10-9

Round 5 - Edgar 10-9

So depending whether round 1 was a 10-8 or 10-7 (I'll have to rewatch it), either a 47-47 draw or a 47-46 win for Maynard. Either way what a fight. I dont think anyone was expecting a fight like that.

Leben/Stann delivered exactly what was expected, fireworks. Great little brawl. Guida/Gomi was a fun 2 rounds with a cool finish and Thiago Silva beating down Brandon Vera and re-arranging his beak was good stuff.

The prelims were fun too. Really enjoyed Stephens' come from behind KO. Gotta think Vera, Davis and Baroni will be looking for work elsewhere in the coming weeks/days. Poirier dismantling Grispi was a monkey wrench for the FW division. Good fight though.

Amazing card. Roll on 126.

I had it 48-46 Edgar

I had Edgar winning every round after losing the first big, maybe I could have it 10-7 for Maynard in that one, but still after 4 rounds I scored for Edgar it doesnt make any difference to who I think won (Edgar)

Vera and Baroni are done with the UFC surely, shame two big characters

Leben and Grispi losing where both unexpected, I had Diaz winning 29-28 but I could see why Kim got the verdict and Guida looked good against Gomi

Good event to kick of 2011

• Paid Members

haven't read anyone else's comments here yet, as i'm yet to see DREAM, but here's my two cents:

* Maynard/Edgar: this was the kind of fight that makes me proud to be an MMA fan. It was probably the least anticpated main event in terms of fan-fair in years...i'll be honest, i wasn't looking forward to it, of the main card it was the fight i was least excited for...then it goes and ends up being fight of the night :) this blew away all expectations. How the hell Frankie survived that first round i'll never know, everytime Maynard touched him he hurt him badly, this was Rocky Balboa stuff. As far as title fights go, it was a bit of an epic, the tide was changing in each round and it was very close. I scored it either a draw or i had Maynard winning by a point, all due to the 10-8 scoring in round 1. A draw was kind of fair, but it's unsatisfying. I aint sure what they'll decide to do next as Maynard really should get a rematch...and i wanna see it, who the hell would have predicted that before this?

Oh, i gotta add in the moment where Frankie scored that massive takedown in round 2 had me shitting bricks, might be my favourite MMA moment of the year, in the first show of the year. Frankie Edgar is really winning me over too, he seems to come in as an underdog in every fight and he just pulls off some heroic shit, it is a Rocky Balboa story in that he just keep defying the odds.

* Leben/Stann...holy fuck!!! I honestly thought Leben was gonna blow Stann out of there. I complained that Stann wasn't really worthy of a co-main event slot but he justified it. He beat Chris Leben at his own game, plain and simple. I get the feeling that Chris Leben underestimated Stann too, I think Leben's the kind of guy that get insane amounts of confidence when he goes on win streaks, he probably thought Stann couldn't hurt him...wrong :) I felt happy for Stann though, he seems like a classy guy and he's taking fighting very seriously, 2011 could be his year?

* Vera/Silva: Vera to be cut? To be honest he fought well on the feet and was the most aggressive he's been in ages (i think Silva's taunts brought that out him), but he was just dominated on the floor, the 3rd round was embarrasing for him, the difference in size and strength was a huge factor. Silva looked a bit of a beast though, never seen him fight like that but it was a pretty scary performance. That f'n nose!! I'm not sure if the UFC still gives Vera another shot, 3 losses on the bounce is usually it. Maybe they send him out to get a few wins and bring him back?

* Diaz/Stun Gun was a good little fight too, Stun Gun is probably the first guy in ages that has kind of figured out the Diaz boxing style, most guys get caught up and get battered slowly over the course of the fight, but Kim did a good job of avoiding it. I had the score the same as the judges, 29-28 Kim. Stun Gun's post fight interview was a classic though, i think calling out GSP was a bit premature but with George's lack of challengers, who fucking knows?

* Guida/Gomi: i knew this was a bad matchup for Gomi :( Guida almost fought like he was scared of Gomi (his post fight interview confirmed it a little), the movement was ridiculous but it worked, Gomi couldn't get anything going. Guida shut Gomi down. 3 on the bounce for Guida!!

The prelims on the show were all pretty good too, it's gonna be the same all year:

* Baroni/Tavares: Poor Phil :( he actually looked the best he has in years, then he got nailed.

* McKee/Volkmann: ahhh well, i tried pimping McKee on here and he let me down :( decent strategic fight (despite a shocking 3rd round), McKee's complete lack of urgency was disheartening.

* Grispi/Poirier: make no mistake about it, this was the Grispi show, this was a bit of a showcase for him before the Aldo fight...Poirier spoiled that party. Grispi was absolutely destroyed here, he's tough as nails no doubt but holy fuck he took a beating. Poirier just made a name for himself. I dread what would have happened to Grispi if he had fought Aldo.

* Davis/Stephens: you have to feel for Marcus Davis :( he was winning this fight, had a great first round (but god knows what he was thinking after that punch that rocked Stephens), then he got sparked out cold near the end of round 3. Brutal finish reminscent of Henderson/Bisping. Not sure whether Davis continues after this, there was talk that this was his last run, to fall at the first hurdle might be the end for him. It's a shame because he's kind of in that Chuck Liddell role where he actually looked great here (as Liddell did against Franklin) but as soon as he took one on the button it was lights out (Stephens punch would have knocked most people out though to be fair). Decent fight, crazy finish.

* Brown/Nunes: if this fight was on the PPV and had a hot crowd behind it people would be raving. This was great stuff, Diego Nunes is a lot of fun to watch, throws a stupid amount of kicks. This was a total styles clash, but a complete fucking war, both guys landed heavy shots and both just kept on coming. Scoring was difficult, i had it 29-28 Nunes as well as the judges but it could easily have gone Brown's way. Great little fight.

Good fucking show!

Archived