UFC 125: Resolution * Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

UFC125Revised.jpg

Main Bouts (On Pay-Per-View):

-Frankie Edgar (13-1) vs. Gray Maynard (10-0)

-Chris Leben (25-6) vs. Brian Stann (9-3)

-Thiago Silva (14-2) vs. Brandon Vera (11-5)

-Nate Diaz (13-5) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (13-0-1)

-Clay Guida (27-11) vs. Takanori Gomi (32-6)

Preliminary Bouts (Non-Televised):

-Marcus Davis (17-7) vs. Jeremy Stephens (18-6)

-Josh Grispi (14-1) vs. Dustin Poirier (8-1)

-Phil Baroni (13-12) vs. Brad Tavares (6-0)

-Mike Brown (24-6) vs. Diego Nunes (15-1)

-Daniel Roberts (11-1) vs. Greg Soto (8-1)

-Antonio McKee (25-3-2) vs. Jacob Volkmann (11-2)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

great year to kick off the year. The card's a bit of a belter. The card's no doubt been harmed by the cancellations of Nelson/Carwin and Aldo/Grispi but the card is still jam packed with great fights.

The best thing about the UFC's this year is that the undercard's are not gonna be far off the quality of the main cards, with this card it's like having a solid UFC and solid WEC show all in one, fucking great!

One of the most interesting things about this card, and is one of the things im most looking forward too is the debut of Antonio McKee. Holy fuck, this guy's story is great, for those who don't know...

McKee has basically been the elite 155'ers in North America for years, he's undefeated in 7 years but mainstream promotions have steered clear of the guy due to his conservative and boring fighting style. The great thing about it is McKee has turned the whole thing in his favour, as a result of fans critisicm he publically stated that if he didn't finish his opponent at MFC 26 in September he would retire. McKee went in a man possessed and destroyed Luciano Azevedo in about 3 minutes...it was one of the bloodiest fights of the year, Azevedo face was fucked, the publicity he generated worked, McKee got the call from the UFC after it and he's finally making his debut (the guys 40 years old).

Now unless you're a diehard fan you probably won't know much about McKee, but if you see any interviews or anything with the guy online, watch/read them...he's one of the best talkers in the game, he's definately cut from the same cloth from Chael Sonnen when it comes to shit talking. McKee clams that the reason that he fought so conservatively was because he never wanted to hurt his opponents, he says he's afraid of what he's capable of and he's ashamed that the fans and the UFC demanded he hurt someone so that they would take him seriously and give him a chance. It's pro wrestling-esque and i fucking love it. Despite being 40, McKee reckons he's got the body of a 25 year old and that he's got a long time left in the sport.

If McKee is impressive against Volkmann I expect him to get a big push, the UFC can use his gift of the gab to sell some fights, it could be a good run :)

Seriously, read some McKee stuff if you see any, he's always got some interesting stuff to say.

• Paid Members
McKee has basically been the elite 155'ers in North America for years, he's undefeated in 7 years but mainstream promotions have steered clear of the guy due to his conservative and boring fighting style. The great thing about it is McKee has turned the whole thing in his favour, as a result of fans critisicm he publically stated that if he didn't finish his opponent at MFC 26 in September he would retire. McKee went in a man possessed and destroyed Luciano Azevedo in about 3 minutes...it was one of the bloodiest fights of the year, Azevedo face was fucked, the publicity he generated worked, McKee got the call from the UFC after it and he's finally making his debut (the guys 40 years old).

Cheers for that write up Ebb. He was completely off my radar but now I'm hoping he makes it on to the main broadcast. As others have said, this is a great card & had Nelson/Carwin still been on would've been a brilliant mix of weights/styles. I'm hugely psyched for Gomi/Guida & Diaz/DHK. I can see Gomi getting a KO over Guida in what I think will be a crazy fight & Diaz subbing 'Stun Gun'. The main event's a tough one. My head is telling me that Maynard is going to out wrestle Maynard to a decision but Frankie Edgar seems to be the fighter I always look past, I was convinced BJ would get the better of him both times & thought he would get man handled by Sean Sherk, obviously doing the guy a huge disservice. Also hope Davis & Baroni get their fights shown on the night too.

I've got parties on NYE & New Years Day so this is going to be the perfect hangover cure.

I'm hugely psyched for Gomi/Guida & Diaz/DHK. I can see Gomi getting a KO over Guida in what I think will be a crazy fight & Diaz subbing 'Stun Gun'.

Really? The guy has had almost 40 fights and has never been either KO'd or TKO'd, and I doubt anyone at 155 has a better chin than him, just watch the Sanchez fight for evidence. I've got Guida taking a decision on this one.

Gomi will struggle in this fight I think. He's always suffered when it comes to cardiovascular endurance and Guida has it in abundance. I can only hope that Edgar/Maynard doesn't become the snoozefest that It's most likely to be.

Match i'm most up for is easily Stun Gun vs Diaz, I think this will be diaz's toughest fight.

There really isn't a fight I don't want to watch on this card. I hope they manage to show the Davis and Baroni fights, although i'll probably check out all the premlims from this show anyway. I also have Guida be decision, he'll push the pace for 3 full rounds and I don't think Gomi will be able to keep up.

I'm hugely psyched for Gomi/Guida & Diaz/DHK. I can see Gomi getting a KO over Guida in what I think will be a crazy fight & Diaz subbing 'Stun Gun'.

Really? The guy has had almost 40 fights and has never been either KO'd or TKO'd, and I doubt anyone at 155 has a better chin than him, just watch the Sanchez fight for evidence. I've got Guida taking a decision on this one.

Most lightweights don't hit hard though and that's why they have the lowest KO rate in the UFC per division. Gomi and Penn probably are the two hardest punchers at 155. Mark Hunt was supposed to be impossible to knock out but if you get hit on the button by Gomi you are getting knocked out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

posted this on the MMA thread but will post it here again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zenmi86tPeg...player_embedded

loving the Guida burp~

I'd say nobody in the world is impossible to knock out. More than one way to skin a cat. I'm sure Gomi has the punch power to hurt Guida but it's just if he can last to the 3rd round to do so is the question. Gomi has a good brawling style but his punches get weaker every minute that passes.

I nearly forgot about the Leben fight, didn't he have a recent DUI charge?

• Paid Members

yeh i think Guida's gonna maul Gomi, first round is gonna be intense as Gomi has some decent wrestling so it's toss-up this round, but if Guida makes him work and puts the pressure on I see him taking over in round 2 & 3.

Leben was done for DUI but i think he was let off with a fine or something...his fight with Stann should bring the fireworks. It's there to capitalise on Leben's recent 'rebirth' in the UFC, and Leben should take it and continue up the ladder, shame all talk of a fight with Wanderlei has been squashed.

I've talked about this before, but Brian Stann always seems to get some great publicity and spots on fight cards even though he's not that popular, someone in the UFC definately likes Stann a lot, cause his fight record isn't that stellar. Has to be to do with the fact that they can sell the 'US Soldier' thing with him and that he comes from Jackson's. He had some fun fights in the WEC but he hasn't yet delivered the goods in the UFC. The Leben fight could sort that out though :) here's hoping it will!

Yeah I am very unsure of how Stann has got to so many decent places on cards as nobody I ever speak to about MMA mentions that they follow this guy. Good luck to him though but I am hoping Leben beats him.

Guida to win by submission I think, the guy is an absolute warrior!

Archived