The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Just a random thought here...

I started reading PS in around 1994 because i remember being in whsmiths and seeing the cover which had sabu and a couple of others on from ecw. i think the event was "the night the line was crossed". I was 11 years old and as a pure wwf fan and never heard of anything outside of Wwf and wcw i was completely taken in. Seeing that cover was the sole reason i bought the mag.... Which is why i could never understand in later years - when the mag stopped covering non big three promotions as much - when they were criticsed for it, the writer's (e.g. Mo chatra) old argument of "our readers dont care about anything other than WWE so theres no point writing about it"... The reason i bought powerslam in the first place was because it showed a promotion i had never heard of on the front cover (and at that point Ecw was completely unknown in the uk) and i continued to buy it religously for at least 10 more years!

Edited by TheCrisis

Having just read the PS50 and accompanying 'Explaining the PS50' article, my first instinct was to head to this thread.

I understand Fin Martin doesn't like Cena, and though I knew he wouldn't put him in the PS50, I'd have thought that he might actually say 'This is how we rate people and on that basis, Cena isn't in it', but they don't even bother with that (despite Cena being worthy of a place in there on every possible scale you'd measure a wrestler's ability).

I wonder how much of his readership even care about Ring of Honor, let alone watch it.

Also getting bored of the TNA interviews every month.

The other thing I tire of his the hypocrisy he has about Rosa Mendes. Basically his attitude it "I fancy her, so I can forgive how utterly useless she is".

Having just read the PS50 and accompanying 'Explaining the PS50' article, my first instinct was to head to this thread.

I understand Fin Martin doesn't like Cena, and though I knew he wouldn't put him in the PS50, I'd have thought that he might actually say 'This is how we rate people and on that basis, Cena isn't in it', but they don't even bother with that (despite Cena being worthy of a place in there on every possible scale you'd measure a wrestler's ability).

I wonder how much of his readership even care about Ring of Honor, let alone watch it.

Also getting bored of the TNA interviews every month.

The other thing I tire of his the hypocrisy he has about Rosa Mendes. Basically his attitude it "I fancy her, so I can forgive how utterly useless she is".

Totally agree with this. Completely ridiculous that Cena isn't on it. I dislike him as much as anyone but just by virtue of his programme with The Rock alone, which did briefly have me back on side with some of his promos, he should be on this list - not to mention his MOTY candidate with Lesnar. How can Kofi Kingston be rated as having had a better year than John Cena - how many PPVs did he main event?

I'm fairly new to PS having been a subscriber for about a year, but it does sometimes feel like they are trying to be "smart fans" for the sake of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the double post, but thought this would be interesting to people on here.

Further to our discussions about the PS50 and John Cena, I wrote in to the Powerslam mailbag section giving my thoughts, and comparing Cena and Kofi Kingston to show how his exclusion was quite silly. I also asked about The Young Bucks being two places apart. I was pretty reasonable I thought, and it was clearly marked as a letter for them to consider printing.

I got a reply this morning from the man himself...

"I write extensively about Cena each issue. I didn't think it was necessary to explain his omission from The PS 50. But since you've asked . . . The Kane feud was a joke. His match with Rock was sloppy, nonsensical and interminable. Cena injured Rock with that ridiculous legdrop. The Lesnar match was exciting, you're right about that. The Laurinaitis match was lousy . . . His bouts in general make no sense. They are bereft of psychology. Remember the knee injury in the Ziggler feud? What was the point of it? He didn't sell it all. It played no part in their Ladder match. His execution of moves is poor, his selling is embarrassing, he damages opponents, and loudly calls spots, thus making suspension of disbelief impossible. Cena has succeeded in making sloppy, half-arsed wrestling acceptable -- to some, anyway. That is his legacy.

Kingston is a solid guy, who put together a number of good matches, and generally was a credit to the business. That's why he was ranked.

Were we supposed to rank The Young Bucks joint-40th?"

Now fair enough to him for him explaining his reasoning, but it just seemed really overly defensive to me. That was also the full email, not even a "Hi there", or a "Best wishes" at the end. Is that really how he wants to portray himself to a subscriber? Even if he doesn't know I subscribe, I clearly buy the magazine.

Anyway, just thought it was weird and you guys would be interested!

Just read the latest one. Fin is at his absolute best (by which I mean mongiest) in the Survivor Series review. Even replete with moaning about how Cena wouldn't be top babyface if he didn't sell t-shirts, without once stopping to consider how he's selling so many t-shirts if he's that bad. Fin's just a fucking twerp, anyway. There's a really good interview with Spud in there, but some of his comments will surely offend his most ardent fans and many on the BritWres scene.

Roll call of letters page mongs, or people who've been rewritten by Fin to look like mongs: G-Funk, James Shury, John 'Massive Div' Cunningham, Ellen in Ireland, Bill Chester, Terry Russell (whose name rings a bell, is she a scary stalker fan type?), Bryce Kitcher, J.P.

Nothing risque or rude, just an attitude that essentially goes utterly against the smalltime wrestling community rhetoric. Basically the same stuff that would cause tears if John Cena or Vince McMahon said it. Here's a couple of quotes:

Too many [british wrestlers] think too much about wrestling. They are obsessed with: "Oh, I must have a good match." They need to start thinking that they are in the entertainment business. Do you actually think that your fancy wristlock is going to make people want to watch you?

There's about 80 different TV channels to choose from these days, so what's going to make people watch your channel? It's not going to be the wrestling: it will be someone who is entertaining.

Nothing risque or rude, just an attitude that essentially goes utterly against the smalltime wrestling community rhetoric. Basically the same stuff that would cause tears if John Cena or Vince McMahon said it. Here's a couple of quotes:

Too many [british wrestlers] think too much about wrestling. They are obsessed with: "Oh, I must have a good match." They need to start thinking that they are in the entertainment business. Do you actually think that your fancy wristlock is going to make people want to watch you?

There's about 80 different TV channels to choose from these days, so what's going to make people watch your channel? It's not going to be the wrestling: it will be someone who is entertaining.

I think that is a sound attitude for a guy like Spud to have. The fact is that wrestler's his size almost never crack the big time, and if he was just a colourless move-machine, however talented, he'd have no chance in the big two. By building a memorable character he gives himself more chance of making it. I haven't seen him wrestle in a year or two but I would have thought a brash, 2004-era Spike Dudley type character might work for him.

I'll be honest, can't see why anyone with access to the internet would want to buy a magazine when the editor's opinions annoy you so much in the first place.

Because everyone with access to the Internet loves to consume things they hate. Have you never read a Raw thread on any forum ever? None of us want to look at anything ever unless it upsets us.

Edited by King Pitcos