The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
Can't you put this in a different thread instead of clogging up this one with it?

If the Mods want to split it then yeah, sure. Been told previously to keep everything in this thread when things have been split off, so have done so.

Put the dull contest in another thread. I want to talk about Flimbo's Quest.

Can anyone remember an Amiga game where you played a little green creature climbing a tower using platforms & steps etc? The tower rotated in the background, which was impressive at the time. Been trying to remember the name of it for years.

EDIT: I just googled Amiga green creature tower and found it straight away. Nebulus. I'm sure I've looked for it before and couldn't find it.

Edited by Pier Six Brawler

• Paid Members

What were some of the decent Amiga football management games that were NOT Championship Manager? I remember playing "Premier Manager" a lot, but the whole aspect of actually making your stadium put me off it a bit. I used to like a little known one in 1994 called "On the Ball". It was pretty different. It was just after the George Graham carry-on, so you could offer "bungs" and stuff. Pretty good. Some German mob made it.

Not a management game, but I always enjoyed a game of "Dino Dini's Goal".

Can anyone remember an Amiga game where you played a little green creature climbing a tower using platforms & steps etc? The tower rotated in the background, which was impressive at the time. Been trying to remember the name of it for years.

EDIT: I just googled Amiga green creature tower and found it straight away. Nebulus. I'm sure I've looked for it before and couldn't find it.

Balls hard if I remember right, I never got past the 2nd level as a kid. That and Uridium (iridium? Can't remember) drove me crazy.

What were some of the decent Amiga football management games that were NOT Championship Manager? I remember playing "Premier Manager" a lot, but the whole aspect of actually making your stadium put me off it a bit. I used to like a little known one in 1994 called "On the Ball". It was pretty different. It was just after the George Graham carry-on, so you could offer "bungs" and stuff. Pretty good. Some German mob made it.

As far as management games go I always liked "Multi Player Soccer Manager". Fun game, very basic but had just enough depth to make it interesting.

The Manager was pretty decent and was also a German developed game, however some of the cut scenes got a little weird when two teams ran at each other knocking each other out on the half way line for example.

On The Ball got a Wolrd Cup Edition as well. Was certainly different and the graphics were pretty good.

Other management sims included Codemasters First Division Manager ( which people seem to love or hate). Ultimate Soccer Manager got some love on here at some point. Finally there is of course SWOS, which had the best of both worlds. Simple but customisable management game and then Sensible Soccer as well. Perfect

• Paid Members

"On the Ball: 1994 World Cup Edition" was like a "Carry on..." film. You could offer bribes, try and kidnap other legitimate international team's players. I had Nigeria's Daniel Amokachi tied up in my hotel basement one time to get him out of playing my team. Utterly insane and great fun. I can't imagine it would be allowed now as various legit people were shown to either accept or reject "bungs".

Edited by bAzTNM#1

"On the Ball: 1994 World Cup Edition" was like a "Carry on..." film. You could offer bribes, try and kidnap other legitimate international team's players. I had Nigeria's Daniel Amokachi tied up in my hotel basement one time to get him out of playing my team. Utterly insane and great fun. I can't imagine it would be allowed now as various legit people were shown to either accept or reject "bungs".

christ thats a blast from the past. From around the same time that Tony Yeboah was bagging them in for Leeds United

tony-yeboah-o.gif

• 4 weeks later...

So it was Play over the weekend, did anyone go and enjoy the approx, 12 billion (estimated :p ) pinball machines, arcades and retro stuff? I went with Windoesnot, it was an epic day out, much better than last years efford!

The next event has been announced and it is returning to Blackpool in May next year. Huzzah. I'm not sure if that's instead of Manchester, or in addition to though.

http://www.playblackpool.com/

But it clashes with Revival which announced it was running over the same weekend ages ago.

So far skullduggery and shenanigans have prevailed, it could end up a bit Britwres if things continued

It will be interesting to see which event prevails, as the audience will be split, one is massive and the other is much more community based but also large, both have many plusses and very few negatives

It's crazy that there would be two events held at the same time that, although not particularly close in terms of mileage, there aren't exactly many of such events throughout the year.

My only guess is that it is those who run Play want to stick it to Revival as the latter is run by people and traders formally associated with Play. Big shame for those of us who would be more than happy to attend both. Of the two again I'd rather go to Revival despite Play being much closer.

Reminds me of when during my racing days a new circuit opened just outside Ellsemere Port and ran their meetings exactly the same weekends throughout the year as a track nearby in north Wales, simply because there was a falling out between those who ran each circuit. This split the grid numbers and the racing suffered for everyone.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure what gaming thread to put this in. Please bear in mind that you are talking to an idiot who knows NOTHING about these kinds of things.

Right, so, the XBox I bought last year that was modded with CoinOps 5 has imploded. I do have an XBox 360, however, that I have never used. Can I put CoinOps 5 (is there a version 6 yet?) on that - if so, how? I need a tutorial video or something or a total step by step guide as I have no idea what I'm doing. Clearly.

If I can't put that on it, what can I put on it and how? I need my Cabal fix quite badly. Any help appreciated. Ta!

• Paid Members

Nebulus was a brilliant game! Exactly what a good video game should be, simple concept with plenty of depth. Naturally, i played mine on the Atari 520ST you understand.

I bought one of those hand held Megadrive things a couple of months back, so i've been playing endless amounts of Street Fighter 2 recently, not touched many of the other games on there as yet, but i've gotten addicted to one in particular.

eswat000vz4.gif

Stuck on the 5th level at the minute. It's a fun if fairly simple platform shoot em up, and the Robocop esque character didn't influence me in the slightest, but what's interesting is figuring out how to defeat each boss, as i guess is the case in modern gaming too, you amass various weapons many of which are fucking useless in the general gameplay, and just the ticket when faced with certain challenges, so it's been fun if not frustrating, endlessly dying through trial and error although at this point i've hit a brick wall i've yet to figure out a way past.

I laughingly thought to myself when i got this, those old games will be piss easy these days, however, Axel and Blaze are still getting the shit kicked out of them on the rare occassion i've had enough of Dragon Punching the shit out of everyone.