The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

On 9/1/2023 at 8:56 PM, Merzbow said:

This awesome 80's era WWF mod for No Mercy came out a couple of days ago! PC only and took me some tinkering but it's gorgeous with full music and even commentary, the Twitter account reposted a long tutorial which I only found after setting it up myself.

Is this just exhibition then or does it have any sort of career mode?

• Paid Members

Last week when I got my CRT I got a mate round and we finished Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, which still holds up magnificently. I'm in the majority when I say the DKC trilogy is one of the greatest gaming trilogies of all time but I'm likely more in the minority when I say my order is 312.
I moved on to Donkey Kong Country 3 and just finished that earlier, and it's still my favourite. The music is the weakest but it's more open and varied than the other two. I will go and play 2 next but despite me loving the music and setting, I always found it was too difficult as early as World 2 and the Save system requiring payment made a hard game even harder when 1 and 3 never had that.

Other than those, and it feels so strange to be bragging about a 14" 20+ year old tv, I've been playing some others on it that still shock me how great they look. Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid and A Link to The Past all look beautiful on it and really showcase why people were so impressed by them. The most impressive for me so far though is Ocarina of Time on the N64 which no word of a lie looks so crisp and clean and better than any other version (not including the 3DS remake) I've seen. Every port of OoT and even OG hardware on newer TVs have given the game a blurry and hazy look, especially when it comes to lighting and text. OG hardware on the CRT there's not a pixel out of place, it's stunning.

I thankfully kept my PS1 despite using my Raspberry Pi for PS1 games but only have Rugrats Search for Reptar (which is really good tbf) so will give that a go but would love to see the original FFVII, Resident Evil and Spyro on it so gonna keep an eye out.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the delayed double post!

A quick CRT update, Resident Evil 2 looks banging on the small screen. I went and bought it late on Sunday as when I went to plug my PS1 in for some reason the AV cable is missing (I think I traded it in with my PS3 last year as the HDMI isn't part of the original package) and ended up buying that while I was there. It was between that, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII but my wife is big on Resident Evil so this was the more useful choice. Absolutely rock hard game though, harder than I remember.
My wife went first and died before reaching the Police Station, and then I made it to the RCPD but my health was on danger and I ran out of ammo, valiantly going down in the offices knife swinging. It'll take a while to beat it I reckon.
Had my mate back over yesterday too and played some other bits including Metal Gear Solid, Medievil and Crash Bandicoot 2. MGS looked lovely but honestly I couldn't tell much difference with Medievil and Crash. Still great games though.

When payday comes I'm going to look into buying a chipped PS1 and a cheap CD burner. I would love to collect PS1 games but for something so easy and cheap to mod, it's just not worth it in the long run. Especially since some of the more popular games you're looking £20-40 a pop. SNES is fine because £45-50 is the high limit for things like Super Castlevania and Super Metroid. For games like Mega Man 8, Tombi and Castlevania Symphony of The Night you're looking at hundreds, even as high as a grand. It's insane.
I wouldn't mind but I got Mega Man 8 from a charity shop when I was a kid and never looked after it and eventually binned it. Worth about £200-300 now.

Other than that I've been playing Neverwinter Nights (the 2002 one) on GOG and it's absolutely ace. So detailed and thrilling to play. Proper classic RPG with so much to do if you can wrap your head around the Dungeons and Dragons mechanics. Thankfully we've been playing DnD lately so I understand what's happening. I never did when I had this back in my teens.

• Paid Members

This looks fascinating. There are two new Evercade handhelds coming out next month: one with 12 Capcom games pre-loaded, and one with a selection of games from Taito ore-loaded. They're also fully compatible with all the Evercade back catalogue, and they're only £50.

I can't tell whether they're ports from the arcade or console versions, but they look interesting. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Those "shoulder" buttons on the back look awkward as well. I temember trying to play the GBA Super Turbo port on an SP and it was very crampy. 

7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

This looks fascinating. There are two new Evercade handhelds coming out next month: one with 12 Capcom games pre-loaded, and one with a selection of games from Taito ore-loaded. They're also fully compatible with all the Evercade back catalogue, and they're only £50.

I can't tell whether they're ports from the arcade or console versions, but they look interesting. 

It's a mix from what I'm led to believe. I'm going to sell my evercade collection to be honest, none of the carts excite me anymore but some people still seem in love.