The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

All this talk of old and underated wrestling games reminded me of this, a real early one from the NES, Tecmo Pro Wrestling. There is a nice documentary made about it as well but this game had special move animation cutaways and even a commentator giving (text) commentary as the match progressed. Decent set of moves for a 2 button controller.

• Paid Members

Well it's official, I won the bidding war for the McDonalds Demo 1 disc (paying slightly more at £7.50 than I did for the other demos in a bundle at £5) so my McDonalds set is complete. Luckily for me I met a woman and got married long before this became a thing so there's nothing she can do now.

£7.50 is a little bit steep for a demo disc but you should see the games on it. Gran Turismo 2, Wip3out, Vib Ribbon and erm, Alfred Chicken. What a selection that is.

In terms of what I'm playing currently I have Wind Waker to finish and I'm in the final third, Red Dead Redemption 2 is still eating up a lot of time and I'll no doubt update in the What Play You thread at some point, and finally Loaded on the PS1 which I spent a lot of yesterday playing and will jump back on tonight.

It's a top down shooter in the same vein as Gauntlet, Chaos Engine or Smash TV where you blast your way through maze-like levels with numerous hidden paths, keys and powerups. It's basic stuff but if you like those types of games it's good fun. It's one of the last games by Gremlin Interactive and so as you would expect it's got plenty of character and the soundtrack is a thumper (so much so they made it fully compatible with CD players and even hid some Zool 2 unused tracks on there as a bonus). With a different graphics engine it would feel very much at home on the Amiga, funnily enough.

They made a sequel called Re-Loaded which it turns out isn't much of a sequel at all as it came out later in the same year and basically changed nothing but a few levels and characters. I'll give it a go probably but less excited after I heard it was a thoughtless churn-out.

• Paid Members

Could maybe be one for the Dull Men's Club but I love SummoningSalt's video on gaming world records, and he's put together an almost two hour video on the history of NES Tetris world records.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

@FLips Saw this Tweet and thought of you... 😘

I already have most of them but had a look at that SNES Cool Spot and it’s rank!

Thanks for keeping me in mind though, there’s some good games there.

@Jesse Summoning Salt is fantastic. I don’t know how he does so much research, it’s insane.

Edited by FLips

19 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Could maybe be one for the Dull Men's Club but I love SummoningSalt's video on gaming world records, and he's put together an almost two hour video on the history of NES Tetris world records.

Yeah I've sat and watched too many videos on speed running records even though I've never attempted to speed run a game. Goldeneye being the main one, it's crazy competitive even today where people are finding brand new techniques.

On 5/13/2024 at 6:56 PM, FLips said:

£7.50 is a little bit steep for a demo disc but you should see the games on it. Gran Turismo 2, Wip3out, Vib Ribbon and erm, Alfred Chicken. What a selection that is.

I had this demo disc! Oh, Vib Ribbon. What an absolutely perfect game for a demo. Would be delighted to hear all about it. Especially if it has the music on the menu that goes BOW BA-WOW BOW, BA BOOP BOOP BAO-WOW over a funky screensaver as so many had.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I had this demo disc! Oh, Vib Ribbon. What an absolutely perfect game for a demo. Would be delighted to hear all about it. Especially if it has the music on the menu that goes BOW BA-WOW BOW, BA BOOP BOOP BAO-WOW over a funky screensaver as so many had.

Because I clog this board up with retro game stuff all over the place when I should maybe just keep it in here, you might have missed it when I played the full game a while back and posted about it in the PS1 thread.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:46 AM, FLips said:

Vib Ribbon

Vib-Ribbon.jpg.99a66e8e2278c6feeb62607a41caf217.jpg

What is it?

Vib Ribbon is a unique rhythm cult hit from the brains behind PaRappa The Rapper which has you walk a straight line to the beat of the music, pressing prompts to dodge obstacles. The game comes with it's own Easy, Medium and Hard levels but also astonishingly allows you to enter your own CDs and play levels based off the music on them; something I think only Monster Rancher let you do.

How is it?

It's actually fantastic and I can see why it's a cult hit. It came to the Playstation in 2000, well into the life cycle and just as the PS2 was hitting shelves. The console wasn't dead by any means with huge PS1 titans like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Final Fantasy IX and Spyro The Dragon 3 coming out, and in fact it was still the best selling console that year but it was the swansong for the PS1 as 2001 saw the PS2 completely dominate the console market.

So you'd be forgiven for not having played or heard of this game, but like me, you've missed out on an incredibly unique experience. The whole presentation is a joy with everything made up of black background and white vector lines and that's it. The protagonist Vibri is wonderful and animated too as she dances and skips through the stages to some thumpingly strange beats. You press 4 buttons to dodge specific obstacles, cleverly shaped the same as the button you have to press. A loop is R, a block is L, a pit is Down and waves ^^^ are X. In harder stages they combine shapes so you have to press two buttons to get through, e.g a block with waves on would be L1 and X, a loop with a pit would be R1 and Down.
As you combo obstacles you gain little pellets that eventually transform you into some sort of ballerina that increases your score, and if you take too many hits the screen will distort and you'll transform into a frog, then a worm and then game over.

There is no story, just difficulty modes, High Score boards and endless potential for levels based on your music taste. It is the ultimate expression of less is more and it's truly a shame it came out so late or it would be considered a defining moment of the console.

Obviously I’ll be doing a little write up of the demo as well though, cos it’s a different thing innit?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, FLips said:

Because I clog this board up with retro game stuff all over the place when I should maybe just keep it in here, you might have missed it when I played the full game a while back and posted about it in the PS1 thread.

Obviously I’ll be doing a little write up of the demo as well though, cos it’s a different thing innit?

Vib Ribbon is brilliant fun

It's on PS Plus currently and I played a ton of it recently 

On a slightly different note, I was playing Taito's Violence Fight over the weekend and throughly got my arse handed to me

It's been edited in to a video I'll drop tonight 

Edited by Big Bully Busick

Posted (edited)

So I'm going to be doing some more of these challenges 

The systems I collect for only which are 

Any form of Xbox

Any form of playstation 

Nintendo Wii and Wii U

And the Switch (it's possible to add these but very difficult) 

Rules are I can't just pick cheap games but only games I intend to play and think I'll enjoy somewhat 

Now £10 is relatively easy and buying 3 games shouldn't be a problem but once I complete each challenge, I'll be moving on and lowering my budget

So if successful the next time will be £7 then 5 and I'll finish at £2(god knows how I'm gonna achieve that one) 

Hope you enjoy and always love to get feedback of any sort on my content 

• Paid Members

My demo disc bundle arrived and it's absolutely fascinating some of the stuff on there. I'll go into them in more detail individually at some point but some highlights so far from scouring the covers and contents, and sneakily playing a few during work.

• Official UK Playstation Magazine 46 (OPM from here on out) has a demo for Live Wire which is a confusing and low budget looking puzzle game where you play as some fish thing on a spherical grid and have to dash between the lines to flip the squares that make up the grid, while other colour fish things do the same. It's a mess, but the interesting part is it's hugely promoted with involvement from prolific House DJ Allister Whitehead "of Ministry of Sound and Cream fame". It's very 90s and not the only musical guest on the demo.
  • OPM 46 also has Judge Jules' Music Tune which isn't a demo as much as it is a music player that features what looks to be a lot of CoLD SToRAGE music tracks remixed or promoted by Judge Jules (I'm not sure). Seems you can also save them to your memory card, I imagine to maybe play in the CD Player function? Again, very 90s.
  • OPM 71 is a beast of a disc. Playable demos for Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Twisted Metal and WWF Smackdown among others. It's the non-playable demos on this one though that get me all giddy. Promo videos for Final Fantasy IX, Alone in the Dark 4 (which is so early in development it isn't using the New Nightmare subtitle yet) and the cream of this particular crop, a promo video for the eventually cancelled console version of Black & White.
  • OPM 49 is misleading. To promote Tekken 3 getting a Platinum release the inner sleeve says "Here's Tekken. Free" and shows a screenshot of Tekken 1. It is in fact just a 2 character demo of Tekken 3 though which is a crying shame. Thought I'd got a full copy of Tekken 1 there. Still, good game to have a demo of and it gets rounded off by the likes of Speed Freaks and Tony Hawks Skateboarding so can't complain too much.
  • OPM 44 has a first look video for Ridge Racer Type 4 which is fascinating because  on the very next demo disc it was a playable demo. Excited to watch the trailer then play the demo and see what it was like in what I assume is a month's time between magazines.
  • OPM 45 has video footage of a Tekken 3 Tournament, which someone like JLM might be able to share more knowledge on what the fighting game community was like around that time as I had no idea competitions like that existed outside of GamesMaster. The previously mentioned Ridge Racer Type 4, R-Type Delta and Gex: Deep Cover Gecko make up some of the playable games.
  • OPM 47 comes in hot and heavy with playable demos for Syphon Filter, Ape Escape, Bloody Roar 2, Driver and Final Fantasy VII. A who's who of Playstation icons, even if the quality is a mixed bag.
  • OPM 52 is another big slugger with exclusive video footage of Gran Turismo 2 backed up by playable demos of Spyro The Dragon 2, Tomb Raider The Last Revelation, the underrated Kingsley's Adventure, and the rightfully trashed Fighting Force 2. If that's not enough for you, how about "top video footage of The Polygonal Whirlwhind - Jimmy White's Cueball".
  • OPM 54 is still promoting video footage of Gran Turismo 2 (featuring an exclusive track by Propellerheads) alongside a world exclusive playable demo of Toy Story 2. At this stage I'm beginning to get really confused by when Gran Turismo 2 came out because this disc also has downloadable cheats for Tekken 3 and Crash Bandicoot 3. Both those games seem really late in the cycle for me, I would have sworn GT2 was out at this point.
  • OPM 67 has a lot going for it with playable Time Crisis Project Titan and Bugs Bunny and Taz: Timebusters, along with exclusive previews for Tomb Raider Chronicles and Spyro: Year of The Dragon. The most interesting thing (to me at least) on this disc is a playable demo of Asterix & Obelix Take on Caesar which has jogged my memory that I might have had this full game as a kid if it's a war-based strategy game. Can't wait to see if I understand it more than I did back then.
  • The Magical World of Disney on Playstation is a demo disc The Sun (I know, I know) gave out to promote the release of Lilo & Stitch in the cinemas. 7 playable Disney games here, sadly long past their golden years. Junglebook Groove Party without a dance mat and Aladdin in Nasira's Revenge I don't think will hold up as well as Lion King or non-straight-to-VHS Aladdin.

There are more contents to each disc, and more discs, but those are my first glance highlights. There's plenty to be played here though across a healthy stretch of the console's life. There's a playable demo for almost every big game you can think of here, but oddly a lack of a Demo One disc means playing Demo Disc Bingo would leave everyone with some pretty empty cards. No sign of Nightmare Creatures, Kula World, Battle Arena Toshinden, Kurushi, Medievil, Overboard or Abe's Oddysee (though I did win an Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus demo disc for £2 earlier).

Sorry for the big boring list but I'm sure someone will find it as interesting as I do!

In other news I finished Loaded and did give Re-Loaded a go. While the sequel does add some welcome features like a trail of where you've been on the minimap and less key-card based levels, it does almost everything else worse. Worse soundtrack, less interesting graphics, more boring gameplay and it's pretty laggy. I think Loaded sits firmly in my Average-Good pile with it's grungy feel and non-stop blasting gameplay. Re-Loaded is pretty low down in comparison though.

Got a PS1 VIP Demo disc and the Abe Demo Disc on the way in the post currently. Need to get a copy of Demo One so I can watch the T-Rex and Manta Ray demos at some point. The OPM demos being numbered is a worst case scenario as well as now I know which ones I'm missing. It's going to be a long year.

30 minutes ago, FLips said:

maybe play in the CD Player function?

As a slight aside, I am sure I once played the original GTA on my stereo once and it played the music from the game.

Have I made this up or did it happen?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

As a slight aside, I am sure I once played the original GTA on my stereo once and it played the music from the game.

Have I made this up or did it happen?

No there are games that let you do that. I did the same with GTA as well. Mega Man 8 lets you too I know that for sure. Loaded as well has exclusive Zool 2 tracks if you do it.

Posted (edited)

Now this is a game we all played at a video shop in Stratford in the 90s

Before the days of street fighter 2 and fire balls, this was button mashing at its finest (that still applies today) 

Thought I'd fire up the Super console X and see if it holds up and whilst it's alot of fun, boy I haven't been as frustrated with a game as much as I was with this one in years