The moment you thought about quitting wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrestlemania-20-victory.jpg

Definitely mine- Benoit winning the title that is, not killing his family.

After Mania 20, with Benoit & Guerrero embracing with their world title, I realised for me WWE could probably not get any better than that moment. So I stopped watching it after that point. I still watch it now & then, but not religiously like I did.

Similar thing with me happened after watching Wrestlemania 17, I thought nothing could get better than that event so I stopped watching wrestling for about 6 months.

• Paid Members

After Mania 20, with Benoit & Guerrero embracing with their world title, I realised for me WWE could probably not get any better than that moment. So I stopped watching it after that point. I still watch it now & then, but not religiously like I did.

Similar thing with me happened after watching Wrestlemania 17, I thought nothing could get better than that event so I stopped watching wrestling for about 6 months.

That's stupid.

That's stupid.

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this.

• Awards Moderator
Ah, I see. That's even worse than a restart. To win me over, the win had to be decisive, and to win it like that... It's basically a fluke, isn't it?

What are you on about? It wasn't designed to 'win you over'. JBL was the heel, the finish was designed to piss you off. Mission accomplished.

I'm fully aware of that, but a champion, face or heel, has to be perceived to have some kind of ability, or he wouldn't be challenging for the title, and JBL didn't really show that for me until he was well into his title reign. If he cheats to win the belt, fair game, that's a finish designed to piss people off and want to see Eddie get his revenge or Taker get the title off him or whatever, but the way he won it didn't even do that for me, and as a result I didn't buy into him as a champion or care enough about the title to want to see anyone with it. Explaining what I'm on about accomplished!

OK I get you now, but I think it had been well established already in this thread that rushing the belt onto JBL was a massively unpopular move at the time. The fluke manner in which he won the actual title match had nothing to do with it, it was the fact that he was there in the first place and booked to win that pissed everybody off. Your earlier post made it sound like you were not impressed because JBL hadn't outwrestled Guerrero.

Understood. Could have worded my first post better, though for me it was the fluke rather than the being there I was least keen on. Definitely nothing to do with outwrestling, though - with it being a Texas Bullrope match, JBL should have beaten Eddie with ease... then put him in the concrete crypt for laughs.

10.jpg

This with piano wire a couple of days after 7/7

Yeah because two wrestlers are totally relevent to 7/7.

Some pretty important people thought otherwise, and Hassan was subsequently removed from Smackdown and his character written off at the Great American Bash PPV. Relevance-wise I just was not comfortable seeing this in the PPV highlight package a few days after 7/7, they could have easilly edited it off but chose not to, and that's what pissed me off.

Hassan was fantastic and it was a terrible over-reaction to his character, especially when everyone goes on about how wrestling is fake.

has there been any mention of that cunt David Arquette winning the world title yet. If not you all need shooting with shit.

the Sloppy stuff too.

Wasn't his fault. He didn't even want it.

Hold on a second..he didnt want it. You saying the multi millionaire actor had absolutely no creative control at all and was FORCED to take the belt?

Oh ok then.

• Paid Members
has there been any mention of that cunt David Arquette winning the world title yet. If not you all need shooting with shit.

the Sloppy stuff too.

Wasn't his fault. He didn't even want it.

Hold on a second..he didnt want it. You saying the multi millionaire actor had absolutely no creative control at all and was FORCED to take the belt?

Oh ok then.

Thing is, he doesnt know the business very well. The explenation Russo gives in interviews is strong enough to convince someone ignorant to the business that a famous actor winning the belt would be a good idea. They asked him to win the belt and he'd probably have thought it would promote WCW's shite film and raise awareness of a dying brand so he'd be doing both them and him a favour. He was there to help WCW's film, so for me the blame goes 100% on WCW's creative teams head. He gave up his Slamboree main event payday and his whole WCW earners to the families of various dead wrestlers, so that was cool of him.

And if they asked me, and I was a shit actor, I'd have took the belt. I'd have wanted Goldberg to put me over though.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart