This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

Spoiler for the first scene of the series (which might not be a spoiler if you've seen the deleted scenes on the film's DVD) and for Combo's reappearance (which definitely is a spoiler).

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Combo's actually one of the first characters you see -- the first scene of the first episode is one of the unused endings from the film, of Combo and Shaun sitting in Combo's car after Combo's battered Milky (I'm not sure if this was on the DVD of the film or not)... Then Shaun walks away and it transitions to Shaun's last day of school in '86.

But Combo doesn't reappear in the '86 "present" until the second or third episode, he turns up at Shaun's house drunk or on drugs, he's back in town because his Mum's dying.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd absolutely no idea about this TV series till I saw a trailer for it the other day. Though This is England is probably only my third favourite Shane Meadows film (behind A Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Mans Shoes) I'm really looking forward to the series as the film was ace. Plus it's always good to see those actors you only ever see in Meadows' films, like Shim, McClure and Turgoose and great that they have got Stephen Graham back. I was a bit surprised to see he'd be back now he's gone all "hollywood" in big films and that HBO series Boardwalk Empire.

Really sounds like I'm bumming Meadows I'll admit, but it's good to see a british filmmaker who doesn't just rely on stereotypical cockney gangsters (Ritchie) or hooliganism (Love) get such a high profile TV series.

• Paid Members

it annoys me that so few people have seen A Room For Romeo Brass...most people i know around my age has seen Dead Man's Shoes & This Is England, and everyone always gives the same opinion 'fucking awesome!!', yet none of these people have seen ...Romeo Brass. They need too and they should.

it annoys me that so few people have seen A Room For Romeo Brass...most people i know around my age has seen Dead Man's Shoes & This Is England, and everyone always gives the same opinion 'fucking awesome!!', yet none of these people have seen ...Romeo Brass. They need too and they should.

Paddy Considine's accent is brilliant in Romeo Brass, I'd love to be able to talk like that. It's odd, because you know the sinister turn is coming but it's still pretty shocking when it does come-and the penultimate garden scene really is ace. The only dodgy part about the film is the random cameos by Bob Hoskins which seem to be there just to get him in the film. Probably my favourite Meadows film.

Somers Town is good as well, completely different to what I'd come to expect of Meadows by that point. I've still got to watch twenty four seven and that roadie film he did with Considine last year. I'd imagine if the series is successful, they might stick a load of his films on Channel 4 or Film 4.

I used to work with the girl who played Romeo Brasses's mum. Used to tell me awesome stories about working with Hoskins. Also looking forward to England 86....have heard good things

I had to do something so I missed the second half, but was it explained why Bones from Operation Good Guys and the other one who hung out with Combo are great mates with that lot now?

Nah it wasn't. And using a typical ploy out of wrestling-canon, they didn't explain where that other lad was-the one who played Cook in Skins seemed to be the only one not in it.

Archived