This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yellowcardy
Shaun was concentrated on in the film. The point of the TV show was to give other characters some development. I'm backing Flip as the lead of This is England '90 (although I'd love a Flip & Iggy spin-off in the meantime).

I know :rolleyes:

Just I wish they continued and have still continued more on Shaun and Combo. There what its all about in my eyes....

I'm a fan of the film and am really enjoying the series. I've read people's criticism's and some are understandable, some not really. This Is England is a glimpse into a murkier 80's world. Not everything should be explained. We find out what we need to know and if we don't, presumably, for some reason, Meadows doesn't want us to know. :)

The series has been well grim and truly realistic.

Why did he drop the Combo bomb during the rape scene? My head went awry.

• Paid Members

Watched the latest episode last night. Very, very uncomfortable viewing. Fucking horrible in fact. Not something i would ever want to see again but if there is a reason for it, then I'll go with it. I've enjoyed the whole thing overall. It's been reasonably funny. I don't think any characters or relationships have really been explored other than Lol and Woody. Everyone else is just kind of there.

Shaun's Mum explaining that she woke up when she heard barking was hilarious. Gadget being 17 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of!

Gadget being 17 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of!

I thought it was a bit odd, as this is set three years after the film, and I thought he was older than fourteen in that. The actor Andy Ellis was only nineteen when they shot this series though. He's younger than Chanel Cresswell (who plays Kelly). Thomas Turgoose is playing two years younger than he is, as well.

Gadget being 17 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of!

I thought it was a bit odd, as this is set three years after the film, and I thought he was older than fourteen in that. The actor Andy Ellis was only nineteen when they shot this series though. He's younger than Chanel Cresswell (who plays Kelly). Thomas Turgoose is playing two years younger than he is, as well.

But then there was the bit in the film (when Shaun's mum comes in to the cafe and they are all sat there), where Gadget says he is only in the year above Shaun at school. So supposedly, if Shaun has just left school at 16, then Gadget would be roughly a year older at 17.

Of course, he looks about as 17 as that bloke from the work experience episode of The Inbetweeners.

But then there was the bit in the film (when Shaun's mum comes in to the cafe and they are all sat there), where Gadget says he is only in the year above Shaun at school. So supposedly, if Shaun has just left school at 16, then Gadget would be roughly a year older at 17.

But the joke in the film was that Gadget was held back in school for being thick (although that doesn't happen over here, does it? I've only ever thought of it as an American thing). The gang were all a good bit older than Shaun, but Gadge was still only one year above him because he's "got problems." Doesn't really matter, mind. Andy Ellis is actually only about eighteen months older than Thomas Turgoose. But he does look loads older, especially in the film.

So Combo heard Lol screaming, looked in the window, saw him on top of her ... and then what? Hung about and had a quick fag before breaking the door in?

What the fuck?

So Combo heard Lol screaming, looked in the window, saw him on top of her ... and then what? Hung about and had a quick fag before breaking the door in?

What the fuck?

So you didn't get it then. He's took the blame for the murder, he's saying he spotted it, kicked the door in and killed the dad.

That was the impression I got from the dialogue. I'm starting to think now he was just telling her the alibi he was going to use.

Now I feel silly :(.

EDIT : I ~got it that he took the rap, FUM, just wasn't sure about the stuff he was saying to her before it became evident, what with him pawing the hammer etc.

Archived