This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good read, Woyzeck! It's strange that they managed that trade-off in tone so well in a two-hour film, and not in a much longer series. You'd think it'd be easier with more screen time.

• Moderators
It's strange that they managed that trade-off in tone so well in a two-hour film, and not in a much longer series. You'd think it'd be easier with more screen time.

The co-writer previously worked on Skins, and that dreadful C4 show about disabled people living on a desert island, so it's possible the bits that felt like someone badly aping Shane Meadows' style were exactly that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Paid Members
Writer Shane Meadows is to make a one-off Christmas special to follow on from the This is England film and TV series.

Set two years later on from This is England '86, the two-hour drama will deal with the aftermath of the events in that four-part series.

"Just when I think my love affair with This is England is over, it pulls me back in," Meadows said.

Channel 4 has also confirmed that This is England '90, set in the rave era, is currently in development.

Picking up the action at Christmas 1988, the story will focus on the relationship between the Lol and Woody characters.

Meadows told the Stage newspaper that while Channel 4 "would have happily had me go straight to 1990, I felt I needed something in-between."

Channel 4's head of drama Camilla Campbell said: "We're beyond excited that Shane, Warp Films and the cast have agreed to return with this feature length drama.

"It is set to pull together a lot of story threads from '86, leaving the way clear for a new series of This is England '90."

This is England '86, which screened on Channel 4 last September, was named best TV drama at the South Bank Awards on Tuesday.

The original film, written and directed by Meadows in 2006, told of an impressionable young boy who becomes involved with a gang of skinheads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12286245

Even though I was quite disappointed overall with This Is England 86, I'm still looking forward to these, especially how it might cover rave and acid house.

• 10 months later...
  • Paid Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=iZIQNyYfl9w

Starts December 13th and will run over three consecutive nights, which will be nice and compact.

'86 had massive flaws in-between some exceptional moments. In terms of a narrative it was fine, but the actual story arc and jumping of tone was very poorly done indeed. Hopefully this will be rather more reigned in.

Bad news for Kelly fans, though - she's not got the pink hair any more :(

'86 had massive flaws in-between some exceptional moments. In terms of a narrative it was fine, but the actual story arc and jumping of tone was very poorly done indeed.

My feeling on it, looking back, is the opposite. I don't mind the shifts in tone, it's the holes in the narrative that get me -- Combo turning up at Shaun's house made zero sense, the "Harvey gets beaten up by his dad" subplot went nowhere, Gadget never even asked Kelly out, etc.

I'm looking forward to '88, but upset that Flip's not in it. :(

• Paid Members
'86 had massive flaws in-between some exceptional moments. In terms of a narrative it was fine, but the actual story arc and jumping of tone was very poorly done indeed.

My feeling on it, looking back, is the opposite. I don't mind the shifts in tone, it's the holes in the narrative that get me -- Combo turning up at Shaun's house made zero sense, the "Harvey gets beaten up by his dad" subplot went nowhere, Gadget never even asked Kelly out, etc.

I'd forgotten about that, actually, it came in some montage in the second to last episode, didn't it? Seemed odd to crowbar that in for no reason, I guess they might address it in this.

Odd that they used The Smiths in the trailer as well considering they had split up the year before.

Archived