This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

It's the same kind of thing as the film (and all of Meadows' "main" films). Fun and games for a bit, then it all goes dark. I'm a bit amused by the "having a rape's fair enough, but we don't want our rapes to be disturbing" comments.

Thing that I find iffy, but could be explained next week -- in this episode, Shaun said he'd moved house a couple of months ago. How did Combo, pissed out of his head, know where Shaun lived? I suppose they sort of covered for it earlier in the episode where Mick knew where Lol lived because he "still knows some people round here." Combo could have got Shaun's address the same way.

I've seen the film, and was looking forward to this but just havn't bothered watching it. Who got raped anyway?

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Kelly by Lol's dad

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

No it wasn't. It was Trev.

I felt sick watching that last scene I dont know whether to watch the last episode if something else like that is going to happen, I wonder if Compo kills Lols dad to make up for everything

_48832672_kiss2_bbc304.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't enjoyed this series like I thought I would have, it isn't a patch on the film's quality. Felt weird in the first that we had to care for:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Megs and the one who looks like Chuck Liddell because outside of Combo, they were two of the worst characters in This is England.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

For the most part the TV series feels to have been diluted when compared to the film and not have the impact that did.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a mess, to be honest. I think the pacing has been awful in this series but none more so in this episode, and the use of some characters has been dreadful. "Well, that redhead hasn't done owt so far so we'll have her raped in the third episode," was pretty much what it felt like. The most interesting character has been Lol and she has been the only in this series who has really had some decent characterisation and looked complex as a person. And yes, PITCOS, I was thinking that about Combo as well.

Overall though it has degenerated into a massive letdown. What has been the general critical response to it been?

I'm not entirely sure what people have been expecting from this. The reason the girl got raped was precisely because she has been pretty quiet throughout, the Dad was praying on someone he knew wouldn't fight back. And it was supposed to be disturbing, uncomfortable. I thought it was pretty brave to show it and not just pan away.

Overall I've enjoyed it, theres been some great moments of comedy in it. Next weeks should be very good with Combo back

• Moderators
I'm not entirely sure what people have been expecting from this. The reason the girl got raped was precisely because she has been pretty quiet throughout, the Dad was praying on someone he knew wouldn't fight back.

That's a pretty lame excuse. They hadn't even had any scenes together before that, had they?

That's a pretty lame excuse. They hadn't even had any scenes together before that, had they

Well he hasn't had scenes with any of the other characters. You might think it was lame, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the reason

Out of all the characters it was gonna be her or Kelly. And in one the first two episodes, Lol had already said she didn't think her Dad would do anything to Kelly.

I thought the first half of the show last night was dissapointing and maybe had too much comedy. But i thought the 2nd half got alot better.

I thought the first half of the show last night was dissapointing and maybe had too much comedy. But i thought the 2nd half got alot better.

I think the lighter stuff was vital to the effectiveness of the ending. If the entire thing is grim, bleak and joyless, it's just boring. But with half the episode being full of Gadget dressing up as Clark Gable and Flip counting down from thirteen and all that, when that ending comes it's like a sucker punch.

Lol's harder than Trev:

I think the lighter stuff was vital to the effectiveness of the ending. If the entire thing is grim, bleak and joyless, it's just boring. But with half the episode being full of Gadget dressing up as Clark Gable and Flip counting down from thirteen and all that, when that ending comes it's like a sucker punch.

Lol's harder than Trev:

Oh yeah, i totally agree. And i realised (as a big shane Meadows fan) how the episode was gonna go.

I think i just wasn't expecting as much comedy from the show in general.

Guest Yellowcardy

Its been a very interesting series but I think overall Meadows should just go on and make a sequel rather than hammer out a four parter.

The last scene from the last episode was very depressing yet props to the actors involved, looked very believable. Overall the first episode was brilliant but since then its lacked alittle. I think they should concentrate more on Shaun than anything else.

Archived