This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

So, ere we go:-

http://www.channel4.com/explore/this-is-england-86/

And here's a cracking trailer for it as well:-

Any thoughts on how you think this will go? I thought the film was just incredibly good - not quite as good as Dead Man's Shoes, but obviously a completely different subject. And I think a TV series is the best way to follow it up, giving the characters more time than they would get in a film sequel.

I'm also naturally concerned that it might be a disappointment, but that's always a worry for anything I look forward to. But with almost everyone from the original involved again, it should be a winner.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Was excited to see the trailer on Channel 4 the other day... really looking forward to this. The film was great and the idea of seeing how Shaun has grown up in the few years since the film is really interesting.

I thought I walked past Thomas Turgoose (Shaun) in the street in Sheffield a couple of months ago, but I couldn't be sure. But, I've just read that they filmed a lot of this new series in Sheffield, and completed filming in June, so it could well have been him.

• Paid Members
I watched the first episode on Monday, and clips of the next three. It's great stuff!

Oh yeah, you can watch them on that online before they're on the telly, can't you? Good to hear that it was impressive - how long was the episode, out of interest?

I don't think it's online anywhere yet, I watched it at the BFI. The episodes are an hour apiece. Without the ads, I think it's 48 minutes. Excellent continuation. For the most part, it still feels like the film did, but it's pretty different at the same time. I can't wait to see the next three, and especially the Meadows-directed episodes (#3 and #4).

• Paid Members

^ Yes, I had read that he may make an appearance at some point. I think how they handle his reappearance will be pretty much integral to how the whole series goes.

Loved the movie, hate how the right wing seem to love it.

Yes, I've seen the YouTube comments too. Utter wankers.

Archived