This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

Perhaps you should write in and they'll do a new version where in the middle of the wedding, Gadget stops and looks at the camera like Zack from Saved by the Bell and says "I made friends with Harvey at some point in the last three years, even though nobody in real life makes friends in their teenage years." Would you be happy then?

When Shaun rejoins the gang, there'll probably be some mention of it anyway. "How come you're all hanging around with that twat?" or some such.

Don't be a cock, it's obvious our opinions differ on the subject and not wanting to get in to a back and forth I will just say that IN MY OPINION there should of been some mention as to when he started hanging out with them and if they know he's the same guy who picked on Shaun at school. Hopefully it will come up in the next episodes as you say.

God forbid someone dislike something.

Yeah, it may well pop up in future episodes as you say yourself, so quite why you're having an eppy about it not being mentioned in the opening episode is beyond me. It's a four part series, they can't explain everything in the first.

I'm not having an eppy about it, read my posts, it's just something I wanted to be explained that's all I only responded coz Pity was all like "Fucksake!"

Why you feel you have to get involved?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Perhaps you should write in and they'll do a new version where in the middle of the wedding, Gadget stops and looks at the camera like Zack from Saved by the Bell and says "I made friends with Harvey at some point in the last three years, even though nobody in real life makes friends in their teenage years." Would you be happy then?

When Shaun rejoins the gang, there'll probably be some mention of it anyway. "How come you're all hanging around with that twat?" or some such.

Don't be a cock, it's obvious our opinions differ on the subject and not wanting to get in to a back and forth I will just say that IN MY OPINION there should of been some mention as to when he started hanging out with them and if they know he's the same guy who picked on Shaun at school. Hopefully it will come up in the next episodes as you say.

God forbid someone dislike something.

Yeah, it may well pop up in future episodes as you say yourself, so quite why you're having an eppy about it not being mentioned in the opening episode is beyond me. It's a four part series, they can't explain everything in the first.

I'm not having an eppy about it, read my posts, it's just something I wanted to be explained that's all I only responded coz Pity was all like "Fucksake!"

Why you feel you have to get involved?

Because it's a discussion board and I'm allowed to?

• Paid Members

I watched this having never seen the film (apart from 2 minutes where Shaun's Mum confronts them in the Cafe for cutting his hair). I thought it was pretty good. I did spend the first 5 minutes trying to work out if the Shaun in the film and the Shaun in the show where the same actore, and what I'd seen Gadget in before. Otherwise I caught on pretty quickly. It had some funny moments but was obviously more of a scene setting episode so it lacked any real drama. I enjoyed the scene on the roof top.

I've seen some mentions of "Milky" in this thread, I presume he's the black bloke?

• Paid Members

I honestly don't know if I liked it or not. It is starting to feel more like a retread of Shameless in places, and some parts felt rushed to me - I was quite sure they wouldn't have Milky and Lol getting it on just yet, plus the reveal of Lol and Kelly's dad being a kiddy fiddler was not exactly a massive surprise especially after the long lingering look at the kids outside the window. Also, a couple of characters are really just filling space and doing next to nothing.

That said, some parts were hilarious (Meggy's kid especially), and I liked watching it. I just think that the last two episodes need to be pretty fantastic for it to qualify as a really worthwhile follow-up to the film.

• Paid Members

I'd say it was an improvement, still baffled by the unexplained presence of Banjo and Meggy. I would've at least preferred the Lol/Milky situation not to be introduced so soon, then again there are only four episodes in total. As for Shaun, I don't think there's anyone else who's better at saying "Oh for fucks sake" merely through facial expression.

I just think that the last two episodes need to be pretty fantastic for it to qualify as a really worthwhile follow-up to the film.

Well the final two were directed by Meadows and shit gets a lot darker, so they'll probably do a little bit more to satiate the "It's not as good as the film!" crowd.

Also, a couple of characters are really just filling space and doing next to nothing.

That was true in the film as well.

• Moderators

I haven't seen the second episode yet, but I quite liked the first one, although it reeked a bit of "Here's everyone you remember from the film! Remember the shoe shop lady, eh? Eh??" which was more jarring and nudge-nudge than just establishing it as the same universe. To use a Star Wars analogy, it feels a bit like how every little background alien in Jabba's palace has a really huge Expanded Universe backstory where they're some super-important spy or character who went on to do something incredibly important. They're so obviously shoe-horned in. But I should probably stop being such a nerd. There were a couple of those Panda Pops-style references you dread during 80's based television, but nobody's bounced around on a spacehopper just yet.

The trailers for the episode I haven't seen yet do make it look a little bit too Skins/Shameless for my liking, but we'll see.

Oh and that girl with the pink hair - holy fucking shit :love:

I think only having four episodes is the problem. Everything seems a little bit rushed.

And, yes to the girl with pink hair. Also Lol is lovely. Not so much the girl who plays Smell, who is the oddest looking human female I think I've ever seen.

Smell renminds me of Aurra Sing :laugh:

Archived