This Is England '88

Devon Malcolm

I had to do something so I missed the second half, but was it explained why Bones from Operation Good Guys and the other one who hung out with Combo are great mates with that lot now?

Nah it wasn't. And using a typical ploy out of wrestling-canon, they didn't explain where that other lad was-the one who played Cook in Skins seemed to be the only one not in it.

That was Pukey. Kezz from the film wasn't in it either, but that doesn't seem like a continuity error. Some of the lads would have moved away in the years in between. Banjo being mates with them is the puzzler.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
thought it was ok but was hyped like it would be amazing, passed an hour but its no shameless, hopefully the next 3 hours are a faster pace than that, plus the characters have not aged well!! fookin ugly!!! lol

Fucking hell.

Anyway, yeah, I thought it was a good first episode - established some new characters, teased tension between Lol and Milky, and it wasn't too heavy for a beginner. Really good stuff.

Having watched the film last night I was quite pumped for this, little bit of a let down mainly due to reasons already stated like no explanation for why Banjo is with them, why Pukey isn't there, why Harvey is with them as well and mainly no one talked about Combo and Milky and what happend.

The tone seemed slightly different from the movie as well, but with 3 more parts I'm confident it will deliver. Couldn't get over Woody's stupid bowel cut though.

Thomas Turgoose looked great as a cheeky kid but as a adult he dosn't have a face for Hollywood.

• Paid Members

I don't think it will be left as a mystery why Banjo is now friends with them - obviously Combo is set to be re-introduced at some point, so I'm sure there will be an explanation in there somewhere.

Plus, I think the Combo/Milky incident will probably be brought up when Shaun presumably re-integrates into the group.

Having watched the film last night I was quite pumped for this, little bit of a let down mainly due to reasons already stated like no explanation for why Banjo is with them, why Pukey isn't there, why Harvey is with them as well and mainly no one talked about Combo and Milky and what happend.

Why Harvey is with them? He was in school with Gadget and Kelly. Fucksake, is it that much of a stretch to assume that people in an area made friends at some point over three years? I imagine any explanation for why Harvey and Gadget are mates would be pretty shoehorned in (a bit like the shoe shop/social club woman and the newsagents fella, but it'd be even worse if it was just exposition added for the sake of nitpickers).

The tone seemed slightly different from the movie as well, but with 3 more parts I'm confident it will deliver. Couldn't get over Woody's stupid bowel cut though.

Did he have tattoos on his head in the film? I'm wondering if it's to hide them.

I'm not sure how anyone can find Smell attractive.

Kelly, Lol's sister, on the other hand is gorgeous.

It was good, and it'll build, that was the point of it, just to show where they are in their lives.

Banjo I'm nto sure on why he's there, I know Combo did him with the bottle at the end, and maybe he had some sort of conversion in the interim years. Tbh i prefer they don't explain it, its 3 years later, it wouldn't be explained if it were real life.

Why Harvey is with them? He was in school with Gadget and Kelly. Fucksake, is it that much of a stretch to assume that people in an area made friends at some point over three years? I imagine any explanation for why Harvey and Gadget are mates would be pretty shoehorned in (a bit like the shoe shop/social club woman and the newsagents fella, but it'd be even worse if it was just exposition added for the sake of nitpickers).

Did he have tattoos on his head in the film? I'm wondering if it's to hide them.

No it isn't a stretch to imagine they made friends at school, BUT he was one of the reasons why Shaun ended up making friends with the group in the first place. Remember Woody taking the piss out of his name to make Shaun feel better? Well given that and the fact he was such a throw away character in the movie made me feel like he a better explanation was needed as to why he was now with them. Fucksake!!

Perhaps you should write in and they'll do a new version where in the middle of the wedding, Gadget stops and looks at the camera like Zack from Saved by the Bell and says "I made friends with Harvey at some point in the last three years, even though nobody in real life makes friends in their teenage years." Would you be happy then?

When Shaun rejoins the gang, there'll probably be some mention of it anyway. "How come you're all hanging around with that twat?" or some such.

Perhaps you should write in and they'll do a new version where in the middle of the wedding, Gadget stops and looks at the camera like Zack from Saved by the Bell and says "I made friends with Harvey at some point in the last three years, even though nobody in real life makes friends in their teenage years." Would you be happy then?

When Shaun rejoins the gang, there'll probably be some mention of it anyway. "How come you're all hanging around with that twat?" or some such.

Don't be a cock, it's obvious our opinions differ on the subject and not wanting to get in to a back and forth I will just say that IN MY OPINION there should of been some mention as to when he started hanging out with them and if they know he's the same guy who picked on Shaun at school. Hopefully it will come up in the next episodes as you say.

God forbid someone dislike something.

• Paid Members

Don't be a cock, it's obvious our opinions differ on the subject and not wanting to get in to a back and forth I will just say that IN MY OPINION there should of been some mention as to when he started hanging out with them and if they know he's the same guy who picked on Shaun at school. Hopefully it will come up in the next episodes as you say.

God forbid someone dislike something.

Yeah, it may well pop up in future episodes as you say yourself, so quite why you're having an eppy about it not being mentioned in the opening episode is beyond me. It's a four part series, they can't explain everything in the first.

• Paid Members

Thought it was excellent. Some laugh out loud moments 'fuck your ginger chips' & builds nicely with the triagle of Lol, Woody & Milky. I'm glad there wasn't shoehorned exposition, it wouldn't fit the tone at all & requires the viewer to have patience until the next episodes. Roll on next week.

Am I the only one who thinks the actress who plays Smell is hot

Well, um... she makes a perfect partner for Thomas Turgoose, whose face I've been reliably informed his mother loves!

Good first episode. I'm sure all the questions I've got swimming in my bonce will be answered by the end of the series.

Archived