Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Moderators

Similarly, I didn't think much of it when I watched it in the cinema, but caught it on TV about a year and a half ago and I really enjoyed it as just dumb fun.

When I watched as a kid I didn't have any great attachment to Batman as a character - although I enjoyed the previous films, comics wise I was strictly Marvel. The thing I felt let down by in the film, due to me taking things to seriously, was Arnie. How stupid that sounds now, considering some of the other nonsense of his that I love, and loved even at the time.

• Moderators

I don't find Batman and Robin entertaining at all. A Youtube edit of all of Arnie's one liners, sure, but as a film, it's just an unwatchable mess. The toy manufacturers had a huge say in production, so half the scenes existed purely to stick characters in different outfits or situations featuring toys that had already been designed.

• Paid Members

I absolutely loved Batman and Robin, was only about 6 when it came out and I was a huge Batman mark at the time mainly due to the cartoons. Got it on VHS and wore the thing out, still enjoy it today if I ever catch it on. It's fun and incredibly entertaining.

• Paid Members

Well it seems they are going for the all ready established Batman,

I dont have an issue with the casting but i question his age, is he not the wrong side of 40? so roll on a batman stand alone and a justice league movie he could be well into his late 40s?

Clearly they didnt think to far ahead when they gave him the deal.

• Moderators

Why are there so many superhero films at the moment anyway? Is it a fad like the whole geek thing? A bubble that will burst due to oversaturation and just people moving onto something else? Or is loads and loads of comic book films being pumped out to lots and lots of dollars something that is here to stay?

• Paid Members

They are the big in moneymaking thing at the moment seemingly, like all things it'll move on eventually (more of them have started to flop already I understand) but it seems to have a few more years left in it yet. Can't say i'm a fan to be honest seems incredibly lazy and I haven't enjoyed most of the one's iv'e seen. It'll be like Westerns in the 50's and 60's they'll ruin the market to the point nobody wants to see another one for about 30 years.

• Paid Members
Why are there so many superhero films at the moment anyway? Is it a fad like the whole geek thing? A bubble that will burst due to oversaturation and just people moving onto something else? Or is loads and loads of comic book films being pumped out to lots and lots of dollars something that is here to stay?

Because the big ones are making $1 Billion and even the shittier ones are raking in big money. They have a weird cross over appeal that means they can push merchandise and tie ins to the Kids market but Adults will go and see them as well, its basically the Holy Grail of Movie Making, A film they can sell to pretty much everyone.

They have always been big money, It'd take a few massive flops in a row to make them slow down and I cant see it happening