Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

Nova shoot is excellent! He's very honest and an overall likeable fella. The stuff about the JBL, Noble, Benoit etc. bullying is pretty eye-opening. About the deep breaths, I'm guessing it's just something he does and not serious because he did one as RF was introducing him and RF said 'Called it!'.

RF is still an idiot, mind. For example, this exchange about Benoit murders:

Nova: I don't know why he didn't just kill himself...

RF: He did kill himself

Nova: I mean JUST himself.

Anyone who turned up to an RF shoot as though it was Parky would look a fool though. Sat there in your finest suit, fielding inane "uh, memories of" questions from a buggerer of boys, in front of a shit backdrop in a cheap hotel room, being recorded on either a broken mobile phone or a low-end JVC camcorder from the turn of the century.

It's basically a few quid in your pocket for talking wet about your career for a couple of hours before going and doing an indie show. It's not worth putting your jeans on for. Plus, most of the people doing them are depressed because of how far they've fallen shortly before the interview takes place.

• Paid Members

90% of shoot interviews are done after a convention or signing, so most of them are in their jim-jams in their hotel room about to watch One Foot in the Grave on UK Gold before they get interviewed. Its at the end of a long day and their best clothes are hung up on the door ready for the next time they need to go somewhere.

Anyone remember when exactly it was when Raven hit the wall? Raven is a bloke who's reputation was murdered doing so many shoot interviews. It got to a point where he seemed to love the sound of his own voice and believed his own bullshit. He went from "he's funny and smart to the business" to "fat twat hasn't got a clue what he's talking about". Those secrets of the ring DVDs where he'd use the words "nobody knows how to do the art anymore" while he was on TNA having 1995 brawls to no response with Abyss (like the opposite of what he preached on his shoot interviews) showed a huge lack of self awareness. "EEHH, nobodies a top guy anymore, EEHH."

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Anyone remember when exactly it was when Raven hit the wall? Raven is a bloke who's reputation was murdered doing so many shoot interviews. It got to a point where he seemed to love the sound of his own voice and believed his own bullshit. He went from "he's funny and smart to the business" to "fat twat hasn't got a clue what he's talking about". Those secrets of the ring DVDs where he'd use the words "nobody knows how to do the art anymore" while he was on TNA having 1995 brawls to no response with Abyss (like the opposite of what he preached on his shoot interviews) showed a huge lack of self awareness. "EEHH, nobodies a top guy anymore, EEHH."

Yeah more or less after his first two shoots, Most people say he talks to much and is a PITA anyway.

• Paid Members
Those secrets of the ring DVDs where he'd use the words "nobody knows how to do the art anymore" while he was on TNA having 1995 brawls to no response with Abyss (like the opposite of what he preached on his shoot interviews) showed a huge lack of self awareness.

This really resonates with me. To listen to him on his shoot interviews, if you'd never seen him wrestle you'd think he must be some legend and universally respected worker. Then you watch him and his matches bear no resemblance to what he preaches. If someone like Shawn Michaels or Arn Anderson was saying what Raven was saying you'd think fair enough. But Raven would spout about psychology then he'd be throwing himself about with Sandman in TNA, like some sad tribute act to their ECW matches. He'd go on about how a top guy should work and what's lacking in this or that as if he knew better, but he was never anywhere near as good as he thought he was. He was like a slightly less shit version of Konnan to me. All talk and I never got the fuss. The only matches I really loved of his off the top of my head were the Goldberg one on Nitro, and the Rhyno hardcore title match at Backlash. And even they had the benefit of weapons, run-ins and all the bells and whistles.

I liked his early shoots though, but yeah, after about two he'd said everything worth hearing. He'd covered the only bits of his career anyone cared about in detail. Then did what seemed like 50 more shoots just waffling on about the ills of the business and what should be done. Like a taxi driver telling you how the country should be run, but hours and hours of it. And with added Feinstein and his 'memories'.

Even in one of his early shoots which I liked, I remember him moaning about WCW not letting him into the main event scene in the late 90s. 'The Big Ten' he called it - Hogan, Flair, Savage, Sting, Nash, DDP, Goldberg and that lot. He was saying stuff like "I deserved to be in the big ten but they wouldn't let me". I thought, this bloke's fucking mental. I get you have to have self belief/an ego to make it in wrestling but bloody hell. With how jam packed the WCW roster was in the late 90s, there's no way they were going to stick Johnny Polo in the main event of Starrcade during the Monday Night Wars.

Is the 2000 Timeline any good? Cant be any worse than the Sandman one they did.

How about the Shane Douglas Breaking Kayfabe? Dont think Ive seen a great Breaking Kayfabe yet, so dont want to waste two hours if people say its not up to much.

• Paid Members

Timeline 2000 was alright. Justin Credible seems quite dull and has nothing to add to anything. You get a sense he was out of his mind for most of 2000, so cant remember much. It was mostly "then I didn't get paid" or "that was a good match" type answers.

Shane Douglas' Breaking Kayfabe was decent once you get past his ideas on how to make wrestling good again. He's well out of touch with the business. Like shockingly clueless. He keeps talking about how to stop wrestlers dying and WWE not putting wrestling on TV, when those were 2005 theories. His stories of his days as a teacher were different, though.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

The Lanny Poffo BK was pretty good I thought, something about Lanny is endearing. Can't help but like the guy, he seems honest enough too, would totally believe him on the family going in the HOF thing. Sounds like something crazy Savage would want.