Superstars Appreciation Thread

Green

• Paid Members

Lets face it, after the brilliant Masters vs Ziggler match last week and the great Regal vs Goldust and Rhodes vs Masters matches this week, Superstars deserves its own appreciation thread. The crowd have become surprisingly hot for it as of late which makes things better. Heck, the Santino vs Koslov encounter was a lot of fun too and I am at least slightly interested by the return of Hawkins and Archer recently. The show appears to be on top form since the draft.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, dude!

Superstars has secretly been my favourite WWE show for quite a while. You get three matches by undercard stars that can work, and are left to work, and there's always at least one quality match a show. Fuck the greatness of Smackdown, this one hour show has always delivered pretty much the best tv matches of any given week. It's just a shame nobody can be bothered to watch it.

I wanted to start a thread about this, but just posted it in the against the grain thread instead. Santino vs Kozlov was by far the best thing Superstars has done in the year or so it's been back. The other matches were alright, as well. Regal and Goldust had a better match than anyone could reasonably expect from them at this point.

In general, though, Superstars is as bad as Heat was.

• Paid Members

As the OP said, they really followed up the awesomeness of Masters/Ziggler last week with a great top to bottom show.

Santino was the funniest he's been since turning face, and straight man foil is about the best they could do with Kozlov right now.

Regal & Goldust are two great veterans who really know how to put on a great match, and can still go when they need to.

As for the two SD matches, Masters has been a guilty pleasure of mine since the face turn (although it's becoming less guilty by the week, as I'm genuinely starting to believe he's turning into a very good in-ring performer), Chrsitian is a long-term favourite and (contrary to the opinions expressed in the "boring wrestlers" thread recently), Rhodes & Ziggler are actually two of my very favourite guys in wrestling right now.

Ziggler/Christian was great, which is no surprise as Christian seems incapable of having a bad match at the moment and Ziggler is arguably the most underrated guy in the company. His bump for the Killswitch was incredible.

• Paid Members

As a result of this thread, I tried to watch Superstars last night. I say "tried" not because it was crap but because i was so exhausted, I fell asleep half way through.

My first observation was that the Cole/Lawler team were much, much better than on Raw. they seemed so much more relaxed for some reason. I even laughed at a Jerry Lawler line for the first time in forever ("If Koslov wants a friend, he's gonna have to buy a dog").

The reaction Santino got was incredible. I'm not a regular viewer these days but I did see Raw and Smackdown last week and no-one on either show got that sort of reaction and particularly the sort of loud and sustained chanting like that of "San-tin-o, San-tin-o". Segment was very good. I was impressed with Goldust too. Loved his finisher. I quite like what they are doing with the blood interuptons too, it gives them a family friendly feel and gives them lots of scope for related angles. Such as attacking the guy who's being tended too, feigning injury, losing a title on a stoppage, keeping a title due to stoppage, etc, etc. Lot's of simple, old-school stuff.

Chris Masters looked very good too. Is Superstars some sort of weird portal where everything is the opposite of Raw and Smackdown?

As a result of this thread, I tried to watch Superstars last night. I say "tried" not because it was crap but because i was so exhausted, I fell asleep half way through.

My first observation was that the Cole/Lawler team were much, much better than on Raw. they seemed so much more relaxed for some reason. I even laughed at a Jerry Lawler line for the first time in forever ("If Koslov wants a friend, he's gonna have to buy a dog").

I hated that line, because two minutes later he was talking about how Santino wants to be Kozlov's friend.

The reaction Santino got was incredible. I'm not a regular viewer these days but I did see Raw and Smackdown last week and no-one on either show got that sort of reaction and particularly the sort of loud and sustained chanting like that of "San-tin-o, San-tin-o".

It was his hometown, wasn't it? Or near enough.

The reaction Santino got was incredible. I'm not a regular viewer these days but I did see Raw and Smackdown last week and no-one on either show got that sort of reaction and particularly the sort of loud and sustained chanting like that of "San-tin-o, San-tin-o".

They where nowhere near Italy!

• Paid Members

Santino is Canadian? That's a new one on me. Never realised it.

Archived