THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKFF FORUM ONLY!

neil

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

[spoiler] Spoiler in here.[/spoiler]

That's what I did, but all I get is the rest of my post in a Quote box. Weird. 

• Paid Members

Hmmmm, the final post shows spoilers, but the preview just showed it as a text box, nothing to click and reveal.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm sure that post will soon get you back up, Herb.

No point giving a fuck about that now, is there? It's too late for me. Too easy to be downvoted, too hard to claw it back.

Just wondering why it's even a feature. It changes how some people are posting. Popularity contest trumps discussion now.

Edited by herbie747

43 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

Just wondering why it's even a feature. It changes how some people are posting. Popularity contest trumps discussion now.

I don't think it does to be honest, you'd have to be a bit of a weapon to disregard someones posts if they have a negative rating. Those with big negative reps tended to be nominated in the bad awards in the past.

I see what you mean about the fishing for Facebook likes, as it were, but I think most people couldn't give a fuck.

• Paid Members

I'd only be particularly bothered about a negative rep if there was some rule about being banned or suspended after a poster reaches a certain number. I know it was discussed, but it doesn't seem to have been put into practice, so as things are, there's no point worrying about it.

As Keith said, at some point it just ends up with posters trawling for FB likes.

• Awards Moderator
34 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As Keith said, at some point it just ends up with posters trawling for FB likes.

I get the idea, but I don't think we're that type of community. We've been established a long time; you know instantly who's posts are gold and who's are garbage regardless. And even new posters this year have fallen into both camps pretty quickly.

I like the system as a way of saying "I agree with this / I like this" without posting only that with nothing more of interest to say and clogging the forum with noise.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I like the system as a way of saying "I agree with this / I like this" without posting only that with nothing more of interest to say and clogging the forum with noise.

This bit makes sense. But in my case, I posted a joke that was hilarious but some dry shites (& Ed Sheeran fans) didn't get it, so it got downvoted. That's the equivalent of someone not agreeing with your Top 5 Movies list. It's not a proper use of the voting system IMO.

It should be used when people agree with your point or your argument, or when you've posted something really informative (like Lister does in the politics threads).

And to be clear - it doesn't "bother" me (or I wouldn't have posted about it above) - it's just stupid & massively flawed. All the other downvotes I accept, but the 26 I got for a joke about Ed Sheeran being in GoT that his fans didn't like (since they have no sense of humour) is simply bullshit.

Edited by herbie747

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

This bit makes sense. But in my case, I posted a joke that was hilarious but some dry shites (& Ed Sheeran fans) didn't get it, so it got downvoted. That's the equivalent of someone not agreeing with your Top 5 Movies list. It's not a proper use of the voting system IMO.

It should be used when people agree with your point or your argument, or when you've posted something really informative (like Lister does in the politics threads).

And to be clear - it doesn't "bother" me (or I wouldn't have posted about it above) - it's just stupid & massively flawed. All the other downvotes I accept, but the 26 I got for a joke about Ed Sheeran being in GoT that his fans didn't like (since they have no sense of humour) is simply bullshit.

You know what always goes over really well in popularity-based voting systems? Taking it really seriously and tantruming about voting not going your way. Now you've explained things, I'm sure you'll be back in the green before you know it!

• Paid Members

You missed my entire point.

I've said I don't take it seriously. I didn't throw a "tantrum" either, so stop exaggerating in an attempt to change the narrative here - as if I'm flipping out in a massive uncontrolled rage.

I said it's a stupid & flawed system and clearly explained why with specific examples to back me up. I was just asking if it's a necessary feature to have, and I asked in the exact forum that I'm supposed to ask in - this isn't off topic, is it?  

The voting system encourages pandering. Another example would be @David in the MMA forum. He's a great contributor, but people don't always agree with his opinions - but he argues them well and is a valued contributor. But he has a shit rating purely because of this dumb system. The only way a poster like David can ever get a positive rating would be to turn into a pandering lick arse & go around agreeing with everyone. Is that good for the forum? That is my question/point here.

Edited by herbie747