Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

stick with Bellator Jim, i know there's a lot of fights to cram in these days but it's always worth a look.

I keep an eye on it through your write ups, and I was really routing for it to succeed until the reality show flopped and they put all their eggs in the nostalgia basket.

I would rather watch it than TUF, I will give it that!. I will be watching this weekend for sure.

Holy hell, what a fight. I don't follow Bellator that closely, but that was about as good as it gets. I was tuning in to watch King Mo, but that was fairly underwhelming. Alvarez and Chandler left their souls in the cage.

As for the scoring, I had Chandler winning it, but giving it to Eddie isn't the most despicable decision I've heard in my time watching MMA. I'd guess if the judges' scorecards are released, it'll be the second round that made the difference, the others were pretty clear cut. Chandler could have gotten a 10-8 for the 4th, but it looks as if the judges gave it a 10-9.

Anyway, rematch should happen for sure. Strike while the iron's hot, having that card on Spike hopefully boosted both men's profile. Put it on PPV, for God's sake.

My thoughts

Mo lose, me unhappy.

Seriously, either Mo is not as good as I thought, or Newton is better than I thought, Unless Mo under-performed and slacked his training.

Chandler vs Alverez was fantastic, I had it 48-47 for Chandler, but I take it the 2 judges gave the first to Alverez. I do not think the third fight will be far away.

• Paid Members

What a fuck of a fight Chandler vs Alvarez 2 was. Everyone knew it would be good but this one might have even topped their first fight, which I don't think anyone expected to be the case going in. Especially with Alvarez coming off a long layoff and all the contract dispute bullshit. I think most people thought Chandler would have a slightly easier night's work this time.

I was watching some pre-fight interviews with Alvarez the other day and he did seem in a really good place mentally. Where most people thought the layoff would be a detriment, he looked at it as a good thing. As he put it, regarding the time off;

"It was like awakening from a good sleep. I feel rejuvenated."

As for the fight itself, as with most really amazing fights, I kind of lost track of the scoring once I got caught up in it so I'll have to give it another watch. On first viewing I either had Eddie just shading it or a draw depending on if the 4th was a 10-8 (I think it probably should have been actually).

I think I had;

Round 1 - Alvarez 10-9

Round 2 - Chandler 10-9

Round 3 - Alvarez 10-9

Round 4 - Chandler won big, maybe 10-8

Round 5 - Alvarez 10-9

So that would be a draw. But round 1 was tight as well. I can see a strong case for the decision going either way or a draw. It was that close.

Anyway, rematch should happen for sure. Strike while the iron's hot, having that card on Spike hopefully boosted both men's profile. Put it on PPV, for God's sake.

Bjorn Rebney is already on about this. I still don't agree though, not that what I think matters. I just don't see why people are in a rush for Bellator to go on PPV. They don't have a strong enough roster to really make a splash with it IMO. Yeah, Alvarez vs Chandler 3 will be great. What else have they got? If Bellator had any real confidence that they were ready for PPV then they wouldn't have panicked just because they lost Tito to injury this time. When your show being on PPV depends on Tito Ortiz, when he's the deciding factor and without him you pull the plug, that should be a big neon sign that maybe you're not quite ready to do it yet. I just don't see what the point is. It's not like their free shows are setting the ratings on fire. Surely it's common sense to try to build that audience before you expect people to pay to watch your product. Especially at a time like now where MMA fans are spoiled for choice and already seeing an increase in the number of UFC PPVs. In 2013/14, MMA fans more than ever are cherry picking which shows they'll fork out for. Bellator entering into that now seems stupid to me. What's the rush?

When I say all this I don't mean it negatively or as a knock on Bellator. I'm saying it because I'd hate to see them fail where other promotions have. To not learn from the mistakes of EliteXC or Affliction and try to run before they can walk. It would be a shame if they became just another company that went tits up because they tried to do too much too soon just to score points against the UFC.

Anyway, fuck all that.

The fight was awesome either way. And couldn't have come at a better time for Bellator. They needed something like this now. It should hopefully wash away a lot of the bad taste left by the shit sandwich they tried to serve up that was Tito vs Rampage. Just imagine those two trying to follow that fight.

Alvarez vs Chandler could go down as the Gatti vs Ward trilogy of MMA when all's said and done. If the third fight is another classic. I don't remember another MMA trilogy where all three fights were FOTY material. There's usually one weaker fight or letdown or whatever in a trilogy. Alvarez and Chandler are 2-0 for epic fights so far.

Rebney wasn't too pleased with the result though was he?

0000.gif

Rebney and Alvarez are still icy, this is what Alvarez said before the fight;

Reporter: How are things with you and Bjorn now?

Alvarez: "They just aren't. I don't see him, he don't see me. Bjorn's Bjorn. He does his job, I do my job. The thing is, we don't need to like each other. Everybody's like 'Are you friends with him? Do you talk?' We don't need to be friends. He don't need to like me, I don't need to like him. He needs to be a promoter, and I need to be the fighter. And that's all that matters."

Reporter: Have you spoken at all to him since the settlement?

Alvarez: "No. I don't care to either."

The official payouts for the weekends show;

Eddie Alvarez: $160,000 (includes $80,000 win bonus)

def. Michael Chandlerï‚Ž: $95,000

Emanuel Newtonï‚Ž: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)

def. Muhammed Lawalï‚Ž: $10,000

Daniel Strausï‚Ž: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)

def. Pat Curranï‚Ž: $40,000

Joe Riggs: $100,000 (includes $95,000 win bonus)

def. Mike Bronzoulis: $5,000

Mike Richman: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)

def. Akop Stepanyan: $3,000

Jesse Juarez: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)

def. Joe Williams: $3,000

Cristiano "Soldier Boy" Souza: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)

def. Alejandro Garcia: $2,000

Brandon Halsey: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)

def. Hector Ramirez: $7,000

Mike Guymon: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)

def. Aaron Miller: $4,000

Cleber Luciano: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)

def. Joe Camacho: $2,000

Josh Smith: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus)

def. Darren Smith: $1,500

• Paid Members

I was slow getting around to watching (horrible work schedule) but that was another amazing fight. I personally had it scored 48-47 for Chandler (gave Alvarez 2nd and 5th), but like wand. said when you're watching a fight that good, scoring kind of goes out of the window. The 5th round was genuinely one of the great MMA rounds, just for the sheer guts and will of both guys, that struggle on the floor with the blood flowing, it was just draining, engaging, heartstopping stuff.

A trilogy fight has to happen, it could really go down as the greatest MMA trilogy of them all (in terms of fight quality), the only one that compares would be Melendez/Thomson.

The rest of the card was decent, but the main event made it.

King Mo just appears to have met his boogie man in Emanuel Newton. Newton's takedown defence and ability to get back to his feet was impressive but it was the standup where Newton made the difference. Mo just didn't seem to know how to deal with Newton's unorthodox style...if you stuck a pair of boxing gloves on both of them i'd pick Mo, but in MMA that unorthodox nature can be the difference, some people just can't adapt to it and that's what happened to Mo.

Straus was fantastic against Curran, he beat Curran everywhere and made Curran pay for his laid back style. I scored it a shutout for Straus, and with the point deduction it was a whitewash.

Chandler/Alvarez though :omg:

the show pulled in a record 1.1 million viewers too, good news :)

• Paid Members
Joe Riggs: $100,000 (includes $95,000 win bonus)

def. Mike Bronzoulis: $5,000

Now I didn't watch Fight Master, what's the score with this? $5K with a $95K win bonus? That's kind of shit. I mean, in a sport like MMA where bad judging can be the difference between winning and losing (and in this case a huge difference in pay) or something freaky like a badly placed cut or injury can decide a fight, the loser getting $5 grand is a bit of a piss take. $5K is nothing when you consider having to fund your training, pay your coaches and cornermen etc, and tax.

The 5th round was genuinely one of the great MMA rounds, just for the sheer guts and will of both guys, that struggle on the floor with the blood flowing, it was just draining, engaging, heartstopping stuff.

I forgot to mention, that bit late in the fight where Chandler had Alvarez in a rear naked choke and it looked like it was going to be a carbon copy of the first fight was mad. Then even more nuts was Alvarez escaping and taking Chandler's back. Can you imagine if Alvarez had managed to avenge his loss the first time by submitting Chandler with the very move Chandler beat him with last time? Unbelievable. If you know how the first fight played out, you couldn't have scripted the rematch any better for drama.

A trilogy fight has to happen, it could really go down as the greatest MMA trilogy of them all (in terms of fight quality), the only one that compares would be Melendez/Thomson.

Yeah, but even then, Melendez vs Thomson 1 wasn't really anything special. It was good but not a FOTY type thing. And Thomson pretty much dominated most of it. So far Alvarez and Chandler have hit two home runs. If they close the trilogy with something like the first two, I think it'd be the best trilogy in MMA pure fight quality wise.

Anyone know if it'll be repeated on VIVA?