Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Haha, yeah. If Steve Davis grew his hair out into a lovely ginger afro. 

Askren vs Maia! Now there's a fight. See there's so many interesting matchups for Askren in the UFC. It's not just that you think he deserves and has the skills to be there, it's where all the most intriguing matches are as well. He's probably making decent money where he is but it's just unfortunate. Despite being one of the best fighters outside the UFC , he's invisible and irrelevant these days. It's the old 'if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?' thing. He's breezing through these guys he's fighting but who really gives a fuck? If he's happy doing that and making that easy coin more power to him, but for someone who's been involved with high level competition nearly all his life, I can see him looking back and wondering what if when he's all old, fat and retired. Granted it's not 100% down to him why he's not in the UFC, but his fuck you attitude certainly doesn't help his cause. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He's breezing through these guys he's fighting but who really gives a fuck? If he's happy doing that and making that easy coin more power to him, but for someone who's been involved with high level competition nearly all his life, I can see him looking back and wondering what if when he's all old, fat and retired. Granted it's not 100% down to him why he's not in the UFC, but his fuck you attitude certainly doesn't help his cause. 

I don't think that's fair at all Wand. From what I've read and heard, it's all on Dana. Yes, Askren didn't go about things the right way when he ran his mouth, but it was all down to frustration after dealing with White. 

Dana behaved like a cock when it came to handling Askren during the negotiations. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough.

So Askren's a percentage player - basically the MMA equivalent of Steve Davis.

Apologies for the double post. I think even saying he's a percentage player isn't fair to Askren. He's just got a skill and style that's just that good not many can really work it out. 

As Egg mentioned, he's actually finishing an awful lot of fights now. 

• Paid Members

I just had a look at Askren's record there and he seems pretty inactive. Is this down to injuries, contract negotiations, or something else? I've never seen him fight but hopefully one of you good souls can fill in the blanks with this. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I just had a look at Askren's record there and he seems pretty inactive. Is this down to injuries, contract negotiations, or something else? I've never seen him fight but hopefully one of you good souls can fill in the blanks with this. 

Just a mix of combinations really. Some contracts negotiations, some injuries, some where it's simply a lack of challengers. 

That said, there's never a year gone by where he hasn't competed. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

If Askren does go the UFC, he should see if he can cut to 155lbs because he's a very small welterweight. I can't think of a single welterweight in the UFC that Askren wouldn't be giving up significant size to.

Askren's pretty big at the weight isnt he? not saying he couldn't lose some body fat but he's not a guy who seems undersized at 170.

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Askren's pretty big at the weight isnt he? not saying he couldn't lose some body fat but he's not a guy who seems undersized at 170.

Based on his last fight, Askren looks to be about 170lbs and not much over, perhaps 175lbs at the most. He'd be giving up at least 10-15lbs against most of the welterweights in the UFC. The likes of Woodley and Lawler, even the slightly less jacked looking Lawler, look so much bigger inside the cage when competing at 170lbs.

• Paid Members

of course he was 170, that's what he weighed in at :D

but seriously, Askren is pretty tall and he's a thick kind of 170. Look at the Askren weigh in photos next to too Jay Hieron, then look at Woodley/Heiron. Other than Woodley being heavily muscled id wager that Askren is naturally as big a guy.

He won all his wrestling medals at 84kg (185) so pretty certain he can't make 155. He also struggled in his fight with Luis Santos in One, he was shooting for takedowns and being shrugged off pretty easy and Santos seemed to throw him down at will, the fight ended in a NC due to a eye poke that he did before he took him down, Santos already had one hand covering his eye though but his opponent looked quite roided and think he may have nearly missed weight, so who knows what would have happened in a longer fight

Edited by the_mole
Spelling

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, lambyUK said:

Just a mix of combinations really. Some contracts negotiations, some injuries, some where it's simply a lack of challengers. 

That said, there's never a year gone by where he hasn't competed. 

Cheers Lamby. Askren must be One's biggest name? Even if the UFC was an open door for him, I'd imagine One would have to make a pretty strong play to keep him?

Edited by WeeAl

He might be to the American market, they cirrently have no plans to break into that market and are sticking with Asia  In South East Asia it's Atomweight champ Angela Lee is probably the biggest star, she's of Asian decent and is quite attractive. Askrens mouth hasn't gotten him any more popular in South East Asia where One usually run, most of their fighters are from that region. The CEO laughably claimed they wouldn't want Conor McGregor because his mouth and throwing water bottles would end with them in jail if they did it in China where they are trying to break into.

One only really has one person you may have seen per weight class unless you are  really into the current Asian MMA scene.

• Paid Members

One is doing great business over there though, like KSW they just exist in their own world and are very successful with it. To the wider MMA world Ben Askren & Brandon Vera are the two guys people recognise but they have their own stars.

• Paid Members

Boxnations random MMA coverage is weird. I remember them announcing that they were gonna start showing stuff and had signed a deal with a promotion but it never really took off.