Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Askren walked through his opponent, the guy he fought seemed undersized at 170lb. Askren apparently wants to stay active after a slow couple of years, maybe if he wins a few in succession and keeps talking shit the buzz will start for him to make a movie again. One are probably paying him a boatload though.

It would be nice to see what Ben Askren could do in the UFC but it probably won't ever happen. Ben just can't keep his mouth shut, and whenever he complains, which is often, it's usually in the least diplomatic way possible. I don't see the UFC being willing to give Ben what he feels he is worth in order to put up with someone like that.

I guess it depends Dana managed to get on with Tito although they had a long history, Sean Shelby probably has the call and I guess it depends what he thinks and if they think he's worth what he's asking for.If they follow CSAC and other states do he might be needed to fill in as they want divisions every 10lbs but he's good mates with Tyrone Woodley (Askren wrestled at the division above Woodley in College)

• Paid Members

Thing is it doesn't really help that Askren's style is one that a lot of people view as boring; even though he's undefeated, Dana or whoever's in charge of talent probably see him as not being a needle-mover.

I personally think he should be in the UFC, as he can clearly talk up a good game. Sure, the UFC's a business, but it's a sports business, i.e. its business relies on people seeing it as the definitive organisation for MMA as a sport. It needs to strike the right balance between entertainment and sporting legitimacy. A guy with Askren's record, regardless of how annoying or boring he is, should be fighting in the elite leagues. He's good at his sport. That should be rewarded commensurately.

From an entertainment perspective, something can always be arranged. He's still got beef with Hendricks, right? That'd be a good start for him - a feud-ender, especially as Hendricks appears to be on the decline. And there's no shortage of WW fighters for him to face. I'd be interested to see how he does against Woodley, and also Wonderboy - I reckon he'd get his curly wig split. I'd love to see him get his head twisted off by the human boa constrictor that is Demian Maia.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

i dont even think Askren is that boring these days, he's finished the majority of his last 10 fights. He's just incredibly dominant. He's not a guy who just lies on people, he's constantly looking to pass and do damage once a fight hits the ground.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Askren at 155 would be interesting. I could even see him doing that to go after the McGregor fight. 

Askren vs Khabib would be fascinating as well. 

Ooh, I'd like to see that. Although I think Khabib would probably win.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

If Askren does go the UFC, he should see if he can cut to 155lbs because he's a very small welterweight. I can't think of a single welterweight in the UFC that Askren wouldn't be giving up significant size to.

Agree with you on this. Askren has always carried around a bit of puppy fat shall we say, and is definitely smaller in comparison to some other welterweights. That said, I'm not 100% sure he could get down to that weight but I would be interested to see him give it a try.

If he could, I could legitimately see him holding belts at 170 and 155. 

2 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

I don't know if I want to see McGregor vs. Askren, but I I know what to see all the smack talk that would lead up to it.

Agreed again. The build up would be great, but I can't see Mcgregor being able to stop Askren taking him to the mat and holding him there for the duration.

9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ooh, I'd like to see that. Although I think Khabib would probably win.

I'm not so sure about that one Carbomb. I can't see many if any of the current 55'ers beating Askren if he was able to make that weight. In fact I don't see many beating him at 170. He's that dominant. 

It really is disappointing not seeing the guy in the UFC. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

With regards to your McGregor point, I was under the impression that he kind of answered the wrestling question a little when he defeated Chad Mendes. Please correct me if that impression is mistaken, though.

As to the Khabib thing - possibly, it's likely that his dominance in his previous matches has maybe flattered to deceive. He does seem like an absolute beast. Has he faced anyone significantly bigger than him yet?

• Paid Members

Askren's a different type of wrestler to Mendes. And he's much more tunnel vision with it. Like, the way Mendes took a risk and went for a choke on McGregor in the second round, that was all the opportunity McGregor needed to escape and get back to his feet. And it was all over shortly after. Askren would happily stay on top of McGregor and make his night miserable all night. He wouldn't take risks unless he's pretty much got the reward there in his hands all wrapped up with a bow on it. Same kind of thing as the potential Khabib vs Conor fight actually. Also, Mendes is much more punch happy. He stood with McGregor way longer than Askren would. And Mendes took the McGregor fight on short notice. I know McGregor had his issues as well, with the knee injury and stuff, but still. All added up I don't think we can really say McGregor has the wrestling covered. McGregor did great against Mendes but he still spent a long time on the bottom, offered fairly little in the way of takedown defence against Mendes when he was fresh. It's definitely the one weak point of McGregor's game. And there are better grapplers than Mendes in his weight range (especially if he gives 170 another go) who could potentially give him a much worse time. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

With regards to your McGregor point, I was under the impression that he kind of answered the wrestling question a little when he defeated Chad Mendes. Please correct me if that impression is mistaken, though.

As to the Khabib thing - possibly, it's likely that his dominance in his previous matches has maybe flattered to deceive. He does seem like an absolute beast. Has he faced anyone significantly bigger than him yet?

This isn't anything to do with Mcgregor's defence, it's just Askren is just a wrestling machine with a style that really is difficult to compare to any other fighter.

For me he beats Woodley and even Maia  too as his style is just that bizarre. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

This isn't anything to do with Mcgregor's defence, it's just Askren is just a wrestling machine with a style that really is difficult to compare to any other fighter.

For me he beats Woodley and even Maia  too as his style is just that bizarre. 

fighting words.png

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Askren's a different type of wrestler to Mendes. And he's much more tunnel vision with it. Like, the way Mendes took a risk and went for a choke on McGregor in the second round, that was all the opportunity McGregor needed to escape and get back to his feet. And it was all over shortly after. Askren would happily stay on top of McGregor and make his night miserable all night. He wouldn't take risks unless he's pretty much got the reward there in his hands all wrapped up with a bow on it. Same kind of thing as the potential Khabib vs Conor fight actually. Also, Mendes is much more punch happy. He stood with McGregor way longer than Askren would. And Mendes took the McGregor fight on short notice. I know McGregor had his issues as well, with the knee injury and stuff, but still. All added up I don't think we can really say McGregor has the wrestling covered. McGregor did great against Mendes but he still spent a long time on the bottom, offered fairly little in the way of takedown defence against Mendes when he was fresh. It's definitely the one weak point of McGregor's game. And there are better grapplers than Mendes in his weight range (especially if he gives 170 another go) who could potentially give him a much worse time. 

Fair enough.

So Askren's a percentage player - basically the MMA equivalent of Steve Davis.