Jon Venables back in prison

Mr. Seven

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THat Norway story saddens me because it's never nice to realise that the country that you live in is actually barbaric in its treatment of children, when compared with a more "civilized" country.

I suspect that the difference in reactions between the two mothers speaks volumes over the general level of hysteria and blame culture in modern Britain.

• Paid Members

I like how people are going on about how disgraceful it is that Venables and Thompson would have gone free if they'd done the murder in Norway, but nobody's mentioned the fact that it they'd been just six months younger the exact same thing would have happened to them here.

On a similar note, when people go on about how we are getting softer on child criminals, how many people realise that until 1999, the prosecution had to specifically prove that anyone aged 10-14 understood what they were doing, but since then it's automatically assumed that they are responsible.

Edited by JNLister

Private Eye's 'Hackwatch' column is a great read this week, as usual.

They only publish half the article on their website, so this is all I can show you:

WHAT did Jon Venables do to get himself returned to prison? It was more a case of what didn
Edited by InvertedSmiley

• Paid Members
Venables & Thompson take a two year old child, strike him in the head with a metal pipe, pour blue paint into his eye, insert a battery into his anus and leave his dead body to look like it was hit by a train. But according to some posters here that episode of events is nothing compared to Denise Fergus appearing on "This Morning". :rolleyes:

Nit picking maybe but if you check a source that isn't a tabloid, that part isn't actually true.

Bit of an odd question, but are there ever child murders that the tabloids don't go nuts about? I assume there aren't, since it's the one topic that they know they can whip every self-righteous moron into a frenzy with. But surely tons more kids go missing than just the ones that get the big push in the press. What's the deciding factor in which ones become a story?

Venables & Thompson take a two year old child, strike him in the head with a metal pipe, pour blue paint into his eye, insert a battery into his anus and leave his dead body to look like it was hit by a train. But according to some posters here that episode of events is nothing compared to Denise Fergus appearing on "This Morning". :rolleyes:

Nit picking maybe but if you check a source that isn't a tabloid, that part isn't actually true.

Correct. The batteries were only found near his body. There was no indication of what had been done with them.

Bit of an odd question, but are there ever child murders that the tabloids don't go nuts about? I assume there aren't, since it's the one topic that they know they can whip every self-righteous moron into a frenzy with. But surely tons more kids go missing than just the ones that get the big push in the press. What's the deciding factor in which ones become a story?

Child abduction and murder happens all the time all over the place, no doubt. It seems to be the stories that have that 'little extra something' to add to the shock value that are sensationalised by the media. The Bulger case had the slant of the murderers being children themselves. The Huntley case was sensationalised because he was a school caretaker despite having a history of alledged rape and sexual assault of underaged girls. The Myra Hindley case had the 'Bonnie and Clyde' story to it, as well as the victims being buried on the moors, thus the case being labelled 'The Moors Murders'. Tabloids will exploit any angle to sell an extra few copies of their garbage.

Edited by MerlinsMagique