The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

been some rumors in the last few days about Rage Against The Machine reforming after posters and stuff started popping up around the place teasing it, apparently it's going to be a RATM, Public Ememy, Cypress Hill supergroup though, could be good...

http://www.theprp.com/2016/05/18/news/rage-machine-public-enemy-cypress-hill-members-reportedly-form-new-supergroup/

• Paid Members

been some rumors in the last few days about Rage Against The Machine reforming after posters and stuff started popping up around the place teasing it, apparently it's going to be a RATM, Public Ememy, Cypress Hill supergroup though, could be good...

http://www.theprp.com/2016/05/18/news/rage-machine-public-enemy-cypress-hill-members-reportedly-form-new-supergroup/

Unsurprisingly, this has got me rock hard. RATM fronted by Chuck D & B Real? Take my money

My memories of this were slightly different, but given the passage of time, that's not terribly remarkable. This OGWT performance and in particular the vocal delivery, stood out both to me & a guy who 10 years later became a good friend (at the time the show aired, we'd never met). I thought it was a year or two earlier when Jess Cox was vocalist, but apparently it was 1982 with Jon Deverill fronting & also includes John Sykes on guitar. Starts off with their biggest commercial success, a cover of "Love Potion Number 9", but the next song, a sort of old school, raw, punky/metal "Running Out Of Time" (skip to 02:15) was the one that stuck in my mind. Glad to find it was available:

Edit:

Turns out my mind wasn't entirely playing tricks. This (?) or similar feat. Jess Cox was actually broadcast in 1980.

Edited by KingofSports

• Paid Members

yeh im sure bands get paid extra for exclusive billing, its a big deal these days with so many festivals competing for market space.

On a completely unrelated note, i saw Cancer Bats for the first time in a few years last night, always a great live band.

There was never any mention of exclusivity in any of the press and I wouldn't even call Damnation a rival festival either, that's closer to Temples which has sadly been cancelled as backers pulled out at the last second. Smells fishy as something similar happened before last year.

Also, just found a duo called Sete Star Sept and they're pretty fucking insane. It's grindcore but good.

Edited by Merzbow

The organiser of Temples said this week that he was £70,000 in debt from last years festival and was heading the same away again with this one. Refunds are going to be honoured, but the timing is horrendous. Surely they must have known that they were going to post a loss.

Whilst Akercocke may not have had the term exclusive attached to it, you must feel that it was to be implied with it being the first show in five years, rather than saying "we're back to play this festival....and this one, and this and this".

Damnation are not a rival festival by any means, but you would hope that promoters would be willing to work together sometimes

• Paid Members

Because Temples is cancelled, Vision of Disorder are playing a last minute show in Cardiff, grabbed a ticket last night. Can't wait for that, there are probably only handful of bands still on my 'must see' list and VOD are on that list.

Thing with Akercocke is they're touring in September/October anyway so it's not like they've just reformed to do Bloodstock as a one-off or anything. It does seem pretty petty from Bloodstock to boot them for that reason, unless they paid them a large amount based on them thinking they weren't playing any other shows or touring. I'd like to hear Bloodstock's side of the story on this one.

Either way, it'll be good to see Akercocke live again, seen them a few times and they always deliver. Good blokes too.

I don't believe those dates had been announced when Bloodstock confirmed them for the lineup, which would again give the implication that Bloodstock had some form of an exclusive which they were obviously hoping would be some kind of draw for them.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess and also alot based on pure speculation. The only people who know for sure what's happened is Bloodstock and Akercocke/their booking agent

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

its gotta be a situation where Akercocke were paid an 'X' amount more than they usually would so they could be billed exclusively at Bloodstock (from a festival standpoint at least).

• 2 weeks later...