The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...

Radio 1 was pretty brilliant today. They played Slayer, Mastodon, Tool, Sepultura, Rival Schools, Agoraphobic Nosebleed (THREE TIMES at that) and Andrew WK in the 1-4PM shift. I would recommend all to give it a go tomorrow and it's going for another day.

• Paid Members
Radio 1 was pretty brilliant today. They played Slayer, Mastodon, Tool, Sepultura, Rival Schools, Agoraphobic Nosebleed (THREE TIMES at that) and Andrew WK in the 1-4PM shift. I would recommend all to give it a go tomorrow and it's going for another day.

Fuckin heard that myself. I'm in Dublin and we listen to Radio 1 on a bird I work with's iPhone and I was in shock a few times during the day. Quality stuff. She's very funny though "Is that the bleedin mad devil slash your wrists music?". If it's not Knowles (Solange or otherwise) or something with autotune she can't comprehend it.

• Paid Members

Already started brilliantly today with a bit of Messuggah during the day on Radio 1! I've warmed a lot to Daniel P Carter this week, have thought he was a bit of a bellend on previous listens, but he seems like he's having a whale of a time doing this 'new music takeover' thing. Shame it ends after today though, could do with more metal during the day on national radio occasionally!

I've just stuck on the latest Anaal Nathrakh album as i saw that The Quietus put it so high up in the best of 2012 chart and holy fuck, this is a million miles away from the Mayhem worship i was used to all those years ago. AN have become one of the best signed metal bands around.

Edited by Merzbow

Hmmmm Blabbermouth seemed to suggest it was more of a punk-charged band. In fact this quote confirms it:

He adds: "The [song] we were working on today, it's like a combination of all of our bands with DISCHARGE and THE EXPLOITED and GBH on it. Really, really punk. Super crunchy and super brutal. It just came together so naturally. There's a beat and a riff and Casey starts spewing some venom on top of it. It's awesome!

Not gonna lie, I love a lot of Gary and Dave's stuff and I was a big Amen fan back in the day. I even liked Casey's side project Scum which was a blacked punk metal hybrid.

What records are you guys looking forward to in 2013 then? It's looking quite quiet compared to the awesome year that was 2012 but i'm sure it'll heat up and I lose track of what I need to get as per. Here's a few i've got my eyes on:

January - Cult of Luna, Hatebreed

February - Integrity, Shai Hulud, Suffocation, Darkthrone

April - The Ocean

• Paid Members

that could be awesome. I always wondered what happened to Casey Chaos, i don't think he's a guy that ever got the underground cred. he deserved but fuck me, he's an amazing frontman, there's only a few guys ive got the feeling are legit dangerous when i watch them and Chaos is definitly one.