The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

might get a ticket for Bristol, great deal for a five notes, i went to the Jaegermeister tour this year and it was a quality night.

Gojira are just on fire live, i'll be going for them. I just don't get Ghost, the gimmick is cool and they got a wicked t-shirt but musically they are complete pap.

Anyone given the new Soundgarden record a spin? I'm loving it. Been a huge fan for ages and they've recaptured the essence of what made them so great first time round. It's got that sludgy grunge sound with a bit of weirdness and really feels like a continuation of where they left off. Saw them play a lot of it live at Shepherd's Bush last Friday and it sits nicely with the older material and the band is sounding great. Give it a go if you're a fan.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I expected it to be very dull...

might get a ticket for Bristol, great deal for a five notes, i went to the Jaegermeister tour this year and it was a quality night.

Gojira are just on fire live, i'll be going for them. I just don't get Ghost, the gimmick is cool and they got a wicked t-shirt but musically they are complete pap.

I love the Opus Eponymous album, a great debut and can't wait to see what comes on album number 2.

Each to their own

• Paid Members

yeh i know, it just aint my thing. I just feel their one of them bands that are doing so well based purely on the gimmick...if they dressed like normal dudes there is no way they'd be anywhere near a tour of this size.

• Paid Members

I'll be going to the Glasgow date of that tour purely for Ghost. I missed my last chance to see them at Hellfest because they clashed with Tsjuder and I sure as hell wasn't going to miss that opportunity. Can't stand Gojira and The Defiled but a fiver for Ghost is more than reasonable.

Ghost are pretty decent, i much prefer them to the other two bands who i just couldn't get into at all. I'll hopefully catch the gig in Brum seeing as it's so cheap.

In other news Amebix have sadly split up, never got to catch them live and possibly never will now.

Really sad to hear about Amebix splitting up. Also never got to see them live. They played Glasgow just after they got back together, with zero promotion so I assume a lot of people missed out on that. At least they left us with in my opinion their best work yet with 'Sonic Mass'

Also gutted to hear that Huw Lloyd-Langton of Hawkwind fame has passed away. Had been battling cancer for the past few years. 61 is too young an age to go.

It's amazing to think gigs like that NOFX show happened up north at some point, and in such smoky little toilet venues. Most punks of a certain age up here will all tell you about the time they saw Green Day at Wigan Cricket Club. It seems stupid to lament and get nostalgic about gigs you were too young to see or go to, but it puts having to see bands like that in either a fucking O2 with overpriced Carling or an arena with one northern date if you're lucky.