Coming of Age - BBC3

sgmilne

• Paid Members

Those are chump change compared to

Hitler and Eva Braun living next to a jewish family, comedy gold for sure!?

I dont know why despite the show being british, set in germany, with german characters, they all speak in strong new york accents either(?) Cancelled after one episode due to complaints apparantly.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Anyone seen not going out, with Lee Mack? It's... not.... bad really. Very gentle.

I do watch it on occasion. It's perfectly watchable, but I couldn't imagine it being anyone's favourite. I can't be doing with Tim Vine's stand-up at all, but I don't mind him in Not Going Out.

Its my favourite easily.

I dont know why despite the show being british, set in germany, with german characters, they all speak in strong new york accents either(?) Cancelled after one episode due to complaints apparantly.

The template of the show was a "typical" American sitcom of which it was parodying, the show itself comes across like a near-the-knuckle 'Allo 'Allo.

• Paid Members

For years I'd convinced myself that this was a spoof by someone like Harry Enfield of those awful shows that only ever have the pilot episode recorded.

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

Fucking hell! You better appreciate this shit. Here’s ‘Coming of Age’ ep.3, the wonderfully titled “I Suck Coppers”. Twats...

After coping with the fucking abortion of a title sequence we begin the episode with resident cock-a-ma-twat DK. He’s chilling with Matt and Chloe except he turned up uninvited. OH FUCKING HELL, EXPOSITION. He’s pissed as a newt but he’s going to drive home, you know what his trick to getting away with it is? If you guessed something well written and funny then fuck off out the thread. DK sucks coppers. You get it. DO YOU FUCKING GET WHAT HE’S SAYING. WHEN HE GETS PULLED OVER, TO TRICK THE COPS.... HE... SUCKS.... COPPERS! Post exit of the cunt we have Matt and Chloe alone again and Matt begins to eat kebab (watch it son!) and Chloe gives him an ultimatum to sort his diet out or she won’t go out with him. I wonder how will turn out (warning, that was not legitimate interest... fuck you).

We go to Ollie (welsh prick) with the stupid Jeremy Clarkson cut out that someone thought would make for a classic re-run gag. Jas arrives looking more tarted up than a Mr. Kipling rape victim to break the news that she’s bagged a part in LAAANDANNN for the Rocky Horror show. Ollie begins packing including about 500 condoms, dickhead. Jas says she’s going on her own. I should note here that Jas keeps saying ‘Jazz Hands’ at the end of every few sentences, which gets very annoying and kills the joke and then digs it up, violates the corpse and then violates it again for snuff. But fuck it, I can’t get anything commissioned and Tim Dawson can so fuck me in the ear what do I know.

Back to DK, I really wish we wouldn’t but some fucker obviously thinks this sperm race cheat carries the damn show. He get’s pulled over, he sucks the coppers then he swallows. See I just did a better joke than the whole episode. This was your standard cop in a comedy scene except sadly a Rodney King re-enactment was tragically missed. SCENE CHANGE!!! Chloe and Jas in the GMTV style college room; they discuss their man plots, even a Daily Mail joke appears. Jas says that “David Tennant maybe small on the outside but he’s big on the inside” for no particular reason. Chloe mentions Jas giving Ollie a memory box for when she goes away. Jas sings again and just about avoids imitating coitus, just.

More dire scenes ahoy. Ollie, DK and Matt chat, which resembles a battle of the wits between a brick, a stump and a twat. DK has copper poisoning and it’s turned everything green, including... YES YOU GUESSED IT... HIS COCK. He then does a fucking rap in his pants. THAT STUPID FUCKING RAP.... BALAMORY. The canned laughter once again roars in applause. Later scene shows DK whipping his cock out for the lasses. The ladies are impressed and begin to wildly suck him off with a vengeance, while two of them furiously frig themselves senseless until DK fires a thimble load into one lucky ladies face, a slo-mo shot showing it smashing off her chin while Nessun Dorma plays. Magic (NOTE: This scene appallingly didn’t take place).

The usual shit follows. Jas memory box consists of a blow-up doll. The harem of despair continues... Chloe is checking Matt’s poo to see if he’s eating healthy, IT’S GREEN OMGGGG. DK gets it out for the principle. Matt is eating celery and Ollie has been drinking Stella. AS IN A GIRL CALLED STELLA. Jas goes apeshit and I fucking cheer as the episode has come to a dismal tragic close.

Coming of Age Episode 3, like being touched by an Uncle who doesn’t have the love to cuddle you afterwards.

Sorry for the awful grammar, but I can't be fucked.

• Paid Members
Wasn't it a copy of what David Walliams and Matt Lucas had been doing up until that point? I vaguely remember them doing lots of that type of thing

Some good cameos there, Mark Gattis, black bloke from Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie. I'm sure there was one with Bob Mortimer too, but I can't find it at the moment.

I find Not Going Out very odd. About 50% of the gags don't quite work, and I find myself spending the rest of the episode annoying my girlfriend by pointing this out.

yeah coming of age (which im sure they would call cumming of age if they could get away with it) truly is the drizzling shits. that and lab rats, oh and hyperdrive which got 2 series somehow are all just terrible, along with many more down the years.

its weird but the bad comedy from the 80s isnt as bad now when you look back, and some of the very good comedy can still make you laugh today.

for example ive been working my way through the 10 dvd releases of Terry + June which ran for 9 series and apart from the odd not so great episode, and the fact there were 3 malcolms all totally different in attitude to each other, the show was always pretty funny thanks to Terry Scott.

its a shame they cancelled it when they did though, as it was that decision that caused Scott to go into deep depression and his eventual death.

i have to say ive never seen a lot of the bbc 3 sitcoms, because in general they have been terrible, and the only major success was little britain.

should i track down lead baloon then? i like jack dee and can imagine him being a british larry david, but CYE is just about the finest show ever made, and is still fresh after 80 episodes. this last weeks episode was just awesome, and it saddens me that next week is the season finale, and another 2 year wait for 10 episodes i guess, where in the mean time bbc3 can give shit shows 12-14 episodes of pure shite.

the problem is, we all know coming of age is pants - but if its getting 1 million viewers then they have to keep making episodes. it just goes to show you what every chav, halfwit and dirty old perv is doing with their lives when that many watch such a bad show.

ARGH! I hate this show with a fucking vengeance. Even if I see it on the TV Guide I'm reminded of the bit in Preacher where Herr Starr, frustrated at the utter shit on TV announces "I think I'm going to shoot the fucking TV again". I actually feel sorry for the parents and families of the window lickers that wrote this show! Although, I do try and see a good point in all things, and there is one good point to this show.

coming_of_age_chloe_b.jpg

:love:

oh jeez she is a right minger, i mean ive seen very brief moments and the mixed race lass is far nicer. this lass looks like a girl with learning difficulties. plus she is a midget and possible ginger.

• Paid Members
its weird but the bad comedy from the 80s isnt as bad now when you look back, and some of the very good comedy can still make you laugh today.

I'm not sure if this is completely true. Butterflies, Bread, Home James and about a thousand other shows were absolute shit, and remain so. I think one thing that possibly makes a lot of older shows seem not as crap as something like Coming of Age or Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps is their relative inoffensiveness, competent performances and recognisable comedy structure. 'Oh, Doctor Beeching' might have been naff and past it's time, but none of the characters never talked about felching, the cast knew how to do broad comedy and you knew where the jokes were.

EDIT: That makes it seem like I'm bigging up shit old school conservative sitcoms. I'm not.

• Moderators

Some good cameos there, Mark Gattis, black bloke from Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie. I'm sure there was one with Bob Mortimer too, but I can't find it at the moment.

Wow.. I remember catching this on late night Paramount and really enjoying it. I never knew what it was though, and no one ever knew what I was talking about when I tried to describe it. Obviously I didn't know it was them also, as I had no idea who they were at the time I saw it.

• Paid Members
I'm not sure if this is completely true. Butterflies, Bread, Home James and about a thousand other shows were absolute shit, and remain so. I think one thing that possibly makes a lot of older shows seem not as crap as something like Coming of Age or Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps is their relative inoffensiveness, competent performances and recognisable comedy structure. 'Oh, Doctor Beeching' might have been naff and past it's time, but none of the characters never talked about felching, the cast knew how to do broad comedy and you knew where the jokes were.

EDIT: That makes it seem like I'm bigging up shit old school conservative sitcoms. I'm not.

Bread was very much of it's time, and the first couple of series were half decent. Like many others, it got dragged out too long after the ideas well ran dry. I still find a lot of the earlier Keeping Up Appearances and Allo Allo great fun. Once you start changing actors, and bringing in new characters, the nails are ready to go in that coffin.

Archived