Coming of Age - BBC3

sgmilne

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm old enough to remember some truly awful mid-90's efforts like 'Holding the Baby' (who the fuck ever though Nick Hancock would make a sympathetic sitcom actor) and 'A Prince Among Men' starring Chris Barrie (proof that a good sitcom actor is worthless without decent writers), but I have to cast a vote here for David Baddiel's attempt to create 'a British Seinfeld' a few years back. By that, I mean copying everything about Seinfeld except the part where it's funny.

I swear on my ma's life, I was literally about to list those two as my examples of shitcoms. Good shout on Baddiel's Syndrome too, I'd blocked that one out. Typical of what they normally do, Sky was flooded with trailers for it.

• Paid Members

I just watched Family Guy and didn't get around to changing channels. This shit came on and I gave it five minutes... then turned it off before a threw something heavy at the TV and came here to see if anyone was aware of this tosh... Turns out this might be one thing the whole forum actually agree on!

Mr Posh - Was that the one at the university with the vaguely intelligent kid and the fat useless gimp that kept screwing everything up?

Only redeeming feature was that the blonde in it was fit as!

Thats the one, god I wanted to punch that fat ginger kid.

Its terrible, I'm sure the majority of us could write something funnier than Coming of Age. Its got absolutley nothing about it. Its no excuse that the writer is 19, its that the writer isn't funny. BBC Three should really egt rid of the team behind Two Pints etc, as they just make embarassingly bad Television. No wonder our comedy is lagging behind the Americans.

Mr Posh - Was that the one at the university with the vaguely intelligent kid and the fat useless gimp that kept screwing everything up?

Only redeeming feature was that the blonde in it was fit as!

Thats the one, god I wanted to punch that fat ginger kid.

Yeah, know what you mean.

Mind you, I did like the "Weird bloke" story though.

Surely it couldn't be worse than My Family.

I kinda like that show. But yeah, Coming of Age is so shit I actually find it hard to believe. If they'll commission this shit then surely they'll do so with one of the ten or so sitcoms that me and my mates have written?

Fuck it send it off because you're probably right if that bull chit gets put on to insult our senses then surely anyone of us has a shot. Or they'd take the idea steal it and make. This coming of age bollocks has to stop before someone freaks out and kills one of the acotrs, (well ya say actors)

Not sure if its classed as a sit com but back last year I caught an episode of some american show about three geeks that was so shit I wanted to punch my mate for even suggesting it.

One geek in particular was the most annoying character I have ever seen on TV (he almost had a nervous breakdown because he forgot his flash drive or some shit when going on a trip) and the only saving grace in the episode was Summer Glau playing herself.

Of course they all attmpted to hit on Glau in unfunny ways and the sad thing is I bet that she has to deal with freaks like that in real life.

Not sure if its classed as a sit com but back last year I caught an episode of some american show about three geeks that was so shit I wanted to punch my mate for even suggesting it.

One geek in particular was the most annoying character I have ever seen on TV (he almost had a nervous breakdown because he forgot his flash drive or some shit when going on a trip) and the only saving grace in the episode was Summer Glau playing herself.

Of course they all attmpted to hit on Glau in unfunny ways and the sad thing is I bet that she has to deal with freaks like that in real life.

That's The Big Bang Theory, and it's awesome. The highlighted bits in your post show that you've missed the point somewhat. Your mate has better taste in comedy than you, clearly.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone remember Mr. Charity or Feel the Force? Both on BBC2 some years back, and canned after one series even though the Beeb normally gives all sitcoms at least 2 because of its 'money is no object' attitude. Another one on BBC3 over the summer was We Are Klang, which given it had audience participation is arguably not a proper sitcom. I thought it was funny in a silly, juvenile way but I could understand if people found it to be outright cack.

Archived