Coming of Age - BBC3

sgmilne

I prefer Lead Balloon to Curb

You know what, I quite like Lead Balloon as well. But not that much!

See, that's what I'd say about Curb. I'm not a great fan of Lead Balloon, and I've never liked Jack Dee in anything else, but I was very underwhelmed by CYE. I bought the first four seasons of it based on all the hype (I think this was just before I realised the true power of torrents), didn't even make it all the way through.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
How Not To Live Your Life on BBC3 was great this series. Really funny stuff.

Absolutely. I caught the first series by chance a year or two ago and really got into it. The second and third series were very good. Highly underrated, as from the odd review I've read critics detest the show.

It's shocking how BBC Three can manage to have such good comedy as this, then have such shit as Coming of Age and Lee Nelson.

Oh fuck me, I have been meaning to mention Lee Nelson on here for a while now. They really, REALLY pushed his show on BBC3 last year and even the advert made me hate the guy. He's taken the annoying parts of Ali G and Little Britain and based a character around it. Shit shit SHIT. He 'writes' a column in one of the dogshit papers- The Sun or NOTW- and it's such a painful read.

The thing is though is that THAT is the point of BBC3. Its a platform to throw a lot (and I mean A LOT) of shit at the wall to see what sticks. After all, didn't Little Britain come from BBC3?

Its ingenious really, because its not like they have to justify good ratings or anything. Develop lots of shit on the cheap, and if something works, market the hell out of it and make yourself millions.

• Paid Members

Having just finished watching Misfits, which I absolutely loved, someone recommended Coming of Age. I have to disagree with you all, I watched the first episode last night and I enjoyed it, even laughed at some of it. Admittedly I was slightly drunk at the time, but still.

The thing is though is that THAT is the point of BBC3. Its a platform to throw a lot (and I mean A LOT) of shit at the wall to see what sticks. After all, didn't Little Britain come from BBC3?

Its ingenious really, because its not like they have to justify good ratings or anything. Develop lots of shit on the cheap, and if something works, market the hell out of it and make yourself millions.

Giving Coming of Age a third series just goes against that point though. Fair enough if it just had one series and got cancelled because it was shit, but this just doesn't seem to be going away.

• Paid Members
Having just finished watching Misfits, which I absolutely loved, someone recommended Coming of Age. I have to disagree with you all, I watched the first episode last night and I enjoyed it, even laughed at some of it. Admittedly I was slightly drunk at the time, but still.

Get out. Go on. And don't come back.

Anyone seen not going out, with Lee Mack? It's... not.... bad really. Very gentle.

I do watch it on occasion. It's perfectly watchable, but I couldn't imagine it being anyone's favourite. I can't be doing with Tim Vine's stand-up at all, but I don't mind him in Not Going Out.

• Paid Members
Anyone seen not going out, with Lee Mack? It's... not.... bad really. Very gentle.

The first 2 series are brilliant. Series 3 wasn't bad. The current series has been a little odd. Still pretty funny compared to most other comedies but nowhere near it's peak.

Although that said, Lead Balloon was fucking terrible

Ooh, you big liar. Lead Balloon Series 1 is utterly brilliant. Just outstanding. Like most modern programs, the follow series aren't quite as good but still pretty high quality.

Worst sitcom ever is "Life Of Riley" with Caroline Quentin. Just utterly diabolical.

• Paid Members
Worst sitcom ever is "Life Of Riley" with Caroline Quentin. Just utterly diabolical.

Come on Rick, I know you're old enough to remember these steaming piles of turd:-

- not Mollie Sugden's finest, by any means.

- ARGH, Thora Hird!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTcSSWy2mrc - made Fresh Fields look like Seinfeld.

Archived