Coming of Age - BBC3

sgmilne

Has anyone seen Coming of Age on BBC3? I stumbled upon it last night and could not believe what I was seeing. Some of the worst script-writing and acting i've ever seen.

It's written by a 19 year old and is supposedly aimed at teenagers so maybe I'm too old to 'get it', but I can't think of many people who would have found it funny when I was that age.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a comedy with no subtlety that attempts to coast along by saying stuff like "I've got an erection" and "I want to **** the French Teacher" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

And it's got a laughter track that wants to give you the impression that everything is hilarious, when nothing is. And the people in the laughter track are clearly middle aged. Good comedy needs no laughter track for a start (see Arrested Development as the perfect example)

Anyway, I was mesmorised by how bad it was, so I kept watching to see if anything they did was funny, but no it wasn't. It was crass bullshit.

Here's a review I found

http://aerialtelly.co.uk/coming-of-age-bbc3.php

Everything that is right about the Inbetweeners is missing from this.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually recommend you watch it just to appreciate how bad it is. Sometimes when you watch comedies you think are bad you have to grudgingly chuckle very occasionally, but not in this. You see the 'jokes' coming a mile away, such as in the clip from that link.

What a bunch of shit. I hates two pints although I did as SG said he did with this and watched for a chuckle and actually chuckled a few times. Coming of age is ridiculous. Its not comedy its crap. I'm only 22 but I love sitting and watching Fawlty towers and especially Only fools and horses. This and those two prats from Gavin & Stacey (The fat one and the dark haired one -who is also the grandson of swearing nan from The Katherin Tate show) are an insult to comedy. I'm glad someone else has seen what I've been ranting about to my friends. The mixed raced girl may be fit but thats not enough reason to care anything about it

I accidentally came across The Persuasionists the other week and it was absolutely diabolical, worse than that Lab Rats thing BBC had last year. I only watched the second episode because Kelly Adams was in and it was still shit. I won't bother again.

A mate offered me a ticket to watch Coming of Age being filmed last year and I declined. Thankfully, it turns out it was garbage. I'm sure there's others but off the top of my head...

3-Lab Rats

2-Coming of Age

1-The Persuasionists

These make My Family look like high-brow comedy.

• Paid Members
Surely it couldn't be worse than My Family.

I kinda like that show. But yeah, Coming of Age is so shit I actually find it hard to believe. If they'll commission this shit then surely they'll do so with one of the ten or so sitcoms that me and my mates have written?

Miranda was one of those shows I was talking about in an earlier post. It's shit, but sometimes you can't help but laugh a little at some of the stuff, like stupid physical comedy. Miranda looked like it was being played as being shit.

But you get the feeling that whoever is responsible for it thinks they are being really funny.

I'm glad people agree with me on Coming of Age though.

• Awards Moderator

I've seen bits of Coming Of Age and it's diabolically bad. At least it's got an excuse in the 19-year-old-writer thing. Big Top, which is just apalling, has no such excuse, and that's on BBC1 at primetime, and it's got Tony Robinson in it. Woeful it is. I don't even recommend watching it to see how bad it is. It's not worth the torture.

EDIT: I liked Miranda, though.

I'm old enough to remember some truly awful mid-90's efforts like 'Holding the Baby' (who the fuck ever though Nick Hancock would make a sympathetic sitcom actor) and 'A Prince Among Men' starring Chris Barrie (proof that a good sitcom actor is worthless without decent writers), but I have to cast a vote here for David Baddiel's attempt to create 'a British Seinfeld' a few years back. By that, I mean copying everything about Seinfeld except the part where it's funny.

Archived