DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I watched Bridesmaids a few days ago, too, and that it was decent. The version I downloaded was 130 mins long, so I assume it was the directors/extended cut. The scene on the plane was way too long and not funny, so I assume this may be where a lot of the extended footage was added. It had bits of crap scattered throughout, but on the whole it was pretty enjoyable.

Also recently watched:

- Haywire, which was shit. The fight scenes were good, but the rest was cliched, bog standard action stuff. The end part was strange/shit, too. Ewan McGregor, the bad guy (complete with awful accent), escapes from the hero's house and goes on the run to another country. Literally FIVE minutes later, hes found, which leads to the final fight scene (which was crap). Bizarre.

- Drive. Most of the stuff I had read about Drive was that it was a marmite film. Funnily enough, I neither hated it or loved it. I thought it was pretty good, but thats about it. A decent story, some good action scenes thrown in, combined with some over the top violence (ie, the elevator scene).

• Paid Members

Drive's a very good film indeed but I honestly cannot see about it what has made so many people drown in cum over it. It has far more style than substance and is nowhere near as good as The Driver. That said, I would definitely watch it again. Albert Brooks is brilliant in it especially.

Not seen it, but if it's on tv I'd probably give it a go!

The last great buddy movie was probably Nev's favourite, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

Wrong. (I'm going to rewatch this soon, but I realised my problem with it is that I hate Robert Downey Jr and not anything else with it)

Yes, it's a problem with you, not the film. It's great. I reckon you're just a homophobe.

Been trying to buy a copy of Pump Up The Volume on DVD - there's one on Amazon for

Drive. Most of the stuff I had read about Drive was that it was a marmite film. Funnily enough, I neither hated it or loved it. I thought it was pretty good, but thats about it. A decent story, some good action scenes thrown in, combined with some over the top violence (ie, the elevator scene).

I think Drive is a fairly average film, maybe a bit better. It looks great, the music's great, and the little bursts of ultraviolence are wonderful. But there's something really unengaging and unoriginal about the story and the characters, particularly the main guy, Aspergers Mutey or whatever his name is (I forget what his name is, is it just Kid or Driver or some such?).

If it wasn't for the "BEST FILM EVARRRR" stuff I heard before I watched it (which, in retrospect, was from style-over-substance idiots), I'd probably have liked it a lot more than I did.

• Paid Members
If it wasn't for the "BEST FILM EVARRRR" stuff I heard before I watched it (which, in retrospect, was from style-over-substance idiots), I'd probably have liked it a lot more than I did.

Yes. It's why I leave it a few years before I watched ridiculously over-hyped films like this, usually. I've broken this rule too much recently, I think I'm going to abandon attempts to watch The Raid and go back to watching 80s action films.

Theres a couple of cheap copies of Pump Up the Volume on e-bay and a buy it now from South Korea, and i use that company all the time for movies that are rare-ish or u dont wanna pay a fortune for i picked up :

The Punisher (Original) & Switchback from them recently well worth using to save u some cash :)

I enjoyed Drive, is my favourite film to come out last year. I thought it didn't sacrifice style over substance as much as something like Kill Bill that a lot of people go on about being great/amazing. The thing I particular like about Drive is how enigmatic Driver is like Eastwood is in the Dollars trilogy and how he's character drove off in to the sunset at the end, like a Western or it could also be seen as like a Taxi Driver style ending.

• Paid Members
I enjoyed Drive, is my favourite film to come out last year. I thought it didn't sacrifice style over substance as much as something like Kill Bill that a lot of people go on about being great/amazing. The thing I particular like about Drive is how enigmatic Driver is like Eastwood is in the Dollars trilogy and how he's character drove off in to the sunset at the end, like a Western or it could also be seen as like a Taxi Driver style ending.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Eh? He's fucked. He's driven off to die. Nothing like either of those films, really.

I didn't see him as enigmatic, either. This is something that's said far too much of characters that are quite simply just quiet in films. He's just a bit of a mental.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Eh? He's fucked. He's driven off to die. Nothing like either of those films, really.

I didn't see him as enigmatic, either. This is something that's said far too much of characters that are quite simply just quiet in films. He's just a bit of a mental.

Well you've changed my opinions.

Edited by ukfan11

Yup. When people were raving about Gosling in it, after watching it I thought it was a case of people raving whenever someone plays a handicapped. Apparently not the case though, a lot of people haven't picked up on it, but the character is definitely on the spectrum.

Should I bother giving Blues Brothers sequel (2000?) a go?

Absolutely not.

It isnt completely horrid. Yes, it's not the greatest stuff but there are some decent moments in it including SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

some epic car crashes, the then (possibly still is) biggest number of cars wrecked in a movie, some decent music including a musical number in a call centre. John Goodman isnt that bad as Mac either, seems a lot of people hated him because he wasnt John Belushi, but he is better than expected after I feared the worst. Even the little kid isnt too annoying. The only thing that really irks was the zombie sequence near the end, and the magic used by Erykah Badu (sp?). It is pretty much a re hash of the first film though aimed at a much younger audience, so doesnt have the same bite as the original either.

Worth a go as a curiosity, but don't expect a masterpiece or it to be anywhere near as good as the original. View it as a tribute to it and there is less anger over it.

• Paid Members

saw John Carter last night. Despite being a bomb and already being harnassed with a horrid reputation it was really f'n good. It's just a big f'n sci-fi epic in the vein of Avatar. Great special effects, a likable hero and some great set pieces. For a summer family blockbuster it should have and deserved to have done a lot better than it did.