DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I'm a big fan of him in 30 Rock, but I've avoided Cop Out because of the reviews. Should I give it a go?

As I said a couple of months ago, watch the trailer for a good indicator of the humour and the characters roles, it should help you decide if its worth it to spend your time on it. Basically its just some silly fun that's probably been over-analysed because of who directed it.

• Paid Members
just sat through Bridemaids with my girlfriend. It definately wasn't the Hangover for women that it was promoted as...I don't think ive ever seen a movie with such an unlikable bunch of main characters in a movie like this ever.

I think Kristen Wiig especially is very likeable in it and I thought it was a shame some of the secondary characters got barely a few minutes on screen. Bridesmaids was a lot better than I thought it would be.

You're right about it not being the Hangover for women, but I thought it was a much better film than the Hangover. Less relatable because they are a bunch of gals, but there were a lot of good laughs in it. I'd definitely watch it again. 7/10 Very Good.

Just finished watching Cherry Tree Lane on one of the movie channels. The preview mentioned it was made by the guy that directed 'London to Brighton', which I thought was great. Unfortunately this was shite. It was basically 'Funny Games' on the cheap, with

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

added rape.

Unpleasant, pointless and a real shame considering he made this a few years after the great 'London to Brighton'. Apart from using it to scare elderly relatives you hate into never leaving their locked up house again, I thought it was worthless really. 2/10 Poor.

I enjoyed him too particularly the film quote interrogation and the tortilla chip munching bit in the trailer which sadly isn't in the film. I can't help but laugh at him.

He does try very hard, on the other hand you can see Brucey's phoning it in. Sean William Scott was pretty enjoyable. I avoided reviews because Empire dont tend to rate comedies very consistently. I did check them afterwards and noticed it wasn't Kevin Smith's script which may explain why it didn't work very well. Even the interrogation sketch at the beginning seemed out of place. It was no Hudson Hawke anyway, now thats how you make an enjoyable flop.

Hudson Hawk is a very under-appreciated film.

It would have made a really fun franchise if the squares hadn't moaned about it so much.

Also, cracking Spectrum game as well!

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Went to see the remake of Fright Night. Its ok, isnt as much fun as the original and all the characters feel a bit flat. Toni Collette is basically just a cameo. The CGI in the last third is shit and i HATE CGI blood, its just lazy and surely costs more to add in than a few squibs.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I did mark out for the Chris Sarandon cameo, although hes almost unrecognisable

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I quite like the trailers for Fright Night, although it seems like the high school kid has a receding hairline. My girlfriend won't see it with me anyway so I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD.

Anyone seen Kill List? I've heard good things, but been avoiding any actual info on it.

It would have made a really fun franchise if the squares hadn't moaned about it so much.

"I must speak with the dolphins. Nee-Hee-Hee"

Love it. not sure why it was panned for being rubbish on release. It's fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and still raises a chuckle today

• Paid Members

Also, cracking Spectrum game as well!

Thank you!!! Finally somebody who likes Hawk...the Hawskter!! Slapstick violence at it's finest, and Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello singing "Swinging on a Star" for good measure. One of my all time favourite flicks.

I remember when I got Hudson Hawk on the C64 and I nearly sh!t myself over the cartoony graphics, the fact a dog could latch onto your arse and that you could drop off a screen when climbing across a rope onto the thingy over the doorway. Fantastic...

Thank you!!! Finally somebody who likes Hawk...the Hawskter!! Slapstick violence at it's finest, and Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello singing "Swinging on a Star" for good measure. One of my all time favourite flicks.

I remember when I got Hudson Hawk on the C64 and I nearly sh!t myself over the cartoony graphics, the fact a dog could latch onto your arse and that you could drop off a screen when climbing across a rope onto the thingy over the doorway. Fantastic...

Extemely quotable as well. I still break out the 'Pick up the phone you ring a ding cheesey bastard' line when i get the chance.

Didn't they do a Freddy game as well, i was always told that those games only came out in America but now I see I just had cheap parents.

Navy Seals was excellent too! I rocked the shit out of that game, though it was essentially a rip-off of Saboteur.

I've now got a 48k, a +2 and a +3 (with no discs sadly). I'm trying to persuade Mrs Loki to give up the spare room so I can convert it into an 8bit play room, with Speccies, Megadrives and an Atari ST (16 bit obv.)

Anyone seen Kill List? I've heard good things, but been avoiding any actual info on it.

I saw it yesterday and thought it was great. Brilliant performances all round and a cracking score which really added to the intense and claustrophobic atmosphere. You

• Paid Members
Navy Seals was excellent too! I rocked the shit out of that game, though it was essentially a rip-off of Saboteur.

I've now got a 48k, a +2 and a +3 (with no discs sadly). I'm trying to persuade Mrs Loki to give up the spare room so I can convert it into an 8bit play room, with Speccies, Megadrives and an Atari ST (16 bit obv.)

That was the plan when we were going to move, the place had a purpose build games room where we were going to stick our arcade cabinet. We've got two Megadrives as well, one of them is a Mega CD, really, a Speccy and an ST as well as all the main Nintendo systems, a Master System, a C64, a PS2 and an XBox 360 as well as a bunch of handhelds. But we can't use any of them because half of them are buried under piles of boxes of various shit.

Ocean did a great version of Robocop 2 as well for the C64 that was better than the arcade game, albeit different. They became a bit samey with their conversions after a while, though.

• Paid Members
Ocean were bloody magic at those film conversions, weren't they? Navy Seals was excellent as well.

Navy Seals was magnificent! I remember getting it on cartridge for Christmas one year and I spent days just swinging up the ledges. I was like "NO WAY...THEY CAN DO THAT!!!!!". The Untouchables was fabulous also, purely for Level 3 (If I remember correctly) when you were down the alley, hiding behind the walls. Ocean were super at film adaps, but then Lethal Weapon let me down. Could have been so much better.

Thalamus still made my fave games though for that particular doozy of a system.

Oh, oh...OH WOAH, Batman was quality too. Both versions. Ocean/Hit Squad did both 'em. One was a multi-screen puzzler with massive, but majestic, sprites and the other was the movie adap, but standard enjoyable beat 'em up fare.

I'm going to root out the C64 games tonight and marvel at the boxes...

Edited by Scott Malbranque