DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
It's not a remake, Herzog not only hasn't seen the original, but he'd never even heard of Abel Ferrara - he only watches two movies a year. It had its first screening at the Venice Film Festival earlier this month, and every review I saw said it was absolutely fucking crazy, and that it was a 4-5 star movie. Apparently there's a two minute musical section comprised entirely of closeups between Cage and a pair of lizards that are giving him the stink-eye. Don't ever doubt Werner Herzog, aka the greatest living artist in any medium.

Actually, you are right. It was probably in Empire where I saw that quote that Herzog said he'd never heard of Abel Ferrara. I don't think Ferrara is too happy though but I doubt Herzog gives a flying fuck.

Going back to Cage, he has had a completely unpredictable career and has picked some awful films. What I like about him though is that he is one of the few Hollywood guys around who is as convincing doing a daft action role like in Con Air as he is doing a 'proper' role.

• Moderators
Going back to Cage, he has had a completely unpredictable career and has picked some awful films. What I like about him though is that he is one of the few Hollywood guys around who is as convincing doing a daft action role like in Con Air as he is doing a 'proper' role.

I can't think of a better modern day foil for Herzog's vision than Nick Cage when he's being Nick Cage. This movie is very exciting.

There's a review for the film at Ain't It Cool News. Here's a titbit about the lizard thing I mentioned earlier.

As it is this movie is so fun, so entertainingly wrong and filled with fucking weird tangents that it made a fast fan out of me. There's literally a 2 1/2 minute sequence set to music of different shots of Nic Cage giving a pair of iguanas the stink eye. It's like macro photography, close up on the iguanas doing what iguanas do with Cage starring them down in the background. So awesome!

Whilst I'd love that to be true, isn't that clearly Cage's face photoshopped onto another photo? The facial proportions are all wrong.

I think Cage is capable of both great heights and stinking depths. Whereas Brad Dourif is always great. Let's hear some love for Dourif.

• Paid Members

Ever seen Graveyard Shift? Total shit - except for Brad Dourif.

It's funny actually because most people see him as a B-movie and straight to video actor and actually seem to have a greater fondness for him in those roles. Yet he's had major quality roles in Mississippi Burning, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Blue Velvet, Murder In The First and others as well.

He's quite mesmerising in Deadwood, where he's surrounded by other career-best performances, so it's no mean feat.

I also vividly remember his performance in Dune.

It's funny actually because most people see him as a B-movie and straight to video actor and actually seem to have a greater fondness for him in those roles. Yet he's had major quality roles in Mississippi Burning, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Blue Velvet, Murder In The First and others as well.

I've seen the graveyard shift. Hillariously cheesey stephen king horror movie. I liked it.

• Paid Members

Shit, I remember even in a season 1 X Files episode he was in one episode and totally owned it, and this was season 1 X Files where pretty much every guest actor they had on it was bollocks.

• Paid Members

I watched Sunshine not too long ago. The main plot is that the sun is dying and a team have to go to the sun to save it. Visuals are good and builds up some tension. A bit far fetched to begin with but worth a watch. I give it 7 out of 10.

• Paid Members

Shit, I remember even in a season 1 X Files episode he was in one episode and totally owned it, and this was season 1 X Files where pretty much every guest actor they had on it was bollocks.

Luther Lee Boggs! Shit, yes, he was amazing in that episode.

Critters 4. the worst of the critters movies, and still Brad Dourif makes it watchable.

watched St Trinians remake last night

Its a great british movie and plenty of potential that wasn`t wasted.

The plot is simple, the schools getting closed down cause its ran up debt, the girls make a plan to save it.

I cant really fault it because its a stupidly fun film thats there purely for the fun of it. It doesnt claim to be anything more.

BUT

Morally its way over the top. The overuse of sexual schoolgirls, although in my opinion you can never get enough of that (when your alone), makes it uncomfortable to watch with others, especially since i was watching it with my daughter. The drug references were not needed, especially the secratery who handed out uppers and downers to anyone interested and the offering of `poppers` during a hockey game! This content was far too old for a teen audience.

But morals aside it was a good film and the sequel will be getting a cinema viewing.

(and the dvd will be getting a private viewing! :music: )

Edited by Jimmy_kahoona

30 Days of night.

Ahhh, stupid.

I mean aside from CM Punk's cameo it was dull, with just no running logic, like they went 28 days under solid fear without going mental? Nah, also who was that girl the Mellisa George went to help? Where did she come from after 29 days?

End was daft as well..

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Like after Hartnett killed the lead Vampire, the rest just went away? Just like that?

Not having it.