DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Has anyone seen Another Year written by Mike Leigh, starring Jim Broadbent?

I watched it for the first time the other night, dialogue, acting and simple story all were really good. It had received some major praise but maybe not quite worthy of it all. Good watch though 7.5 / 8 out of 10.

• Paid Members
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.Never seen this before, boy has Big Trev been missing out! A great film, the two main characters had great chemistry too.

Not as good as they had in The Sting, watch that next.

I watched Zodiac last night. Really enjoyed it, it's a seriously tense film in places I was just a bit dissapointed by the ending, it's a film you couldn't really do a sequel to and I felt a bit deflated at the end as it was quite emotionally demanding for the whole two and a half hours.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

What the fuck was the deal with the guy he meets outside the cinema who he follows to his house in the rain? I was convinced he was the killer, I was on my seat for that whole scene. Me and my Mrs were going "He's locked the door! It's got to be him!" and then.... meh. Nothing happened.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I watched Zodiac last night. Really enjoyed it, it's a seriously tense film in places I was just a bit dissapointed by the ending, it's a film you couldn't really do a sequel to and I felt a bit deflated at the end as it was quite emotionally demanding for the whole two and a half hours.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

What the fuck was the deal with the guy he meets outside the cinema who he follows to his house in the rain? I was convinced he was the killer, I was on my seat for that whole scene. Me and my Mrs were going "He's locked the door! It's got to be him!" and then.... meh. Nothing happened.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

http://www.zodiackiller.com/

• Paid Members

It's very good. I only realised recently just how much I like David Fincher's stuff.

The only thing I wasn't sold on was Robert Downey Jr. Never really felt the love for him and he basically plays Robert Downey Jr in a role that feels like it needs something more. He still has his moments, though, and Jake Gyllenhaal is great.

Machete - It's been a fair few months since I last watched it. It's a great film that should never be taken seriously. Some of the over the top action scenes are both hilarious and grose in equal measure. The open sequence is the best part imho, and I felt the big final battle was a little disjointed, and almost like it was missing something. Still overall very enjoyable.

I reckon there was just too much plot in Machete. There should have been less twists, and more Segal. A lot more Segal. The Machete v Segal fight should have been 10 minutes straight at least.

You know it's based on a true story right?

See I didn't know whether that was true or not as they said that at the beginning of Fargo and it turned out to be bullshit. Makes more sense why the ending was so weak if it is a legitimate true story.

Edited by cobra_gordo

I reckon there was just too much plot in Machete. There should have been less twists, and more Segal. A lot more Segal. The Machete v Segal fight should have been 10 minutes straight at least.

The funny thing about the Segal v Machete fight is, if you watch it closely, the only sword fighting you actually see is the slower movements and everything else is more a close up shot of them. It's actually really well done and it's the first time I noticed it. Poor old guys.

Machete, Crank, Taken and Bourne - the only really good action movies of recent years. Discuss.

I'm really not a fan of Crank (nor Statham for that matter). Fully agree on everything else though. In fact I purchased the Taken Blu-Ray last night, extended cut. I'm looking forward to seeing the additional action. Taken is the ultimate diamond in the rough movie. It's probably my second most watched movie behind The Crow.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

I've got a soft spot for Statham. He's a half decent actor & doesn't seem to take himself that seriously, maybe because he's British & also follicly challenged like myself so I can relate? I thought 'The Bank Job' was excellent & along with Crank & Snatch probably his best film. I've not seen the remake of The Mechanic though, any good?

If this was the 80s, Statham would be a far bigger star than he is. He's perfect action material - big, tough looking, good at martial arts, and a decent actor. Like Mike, I've found that a lot of his budget films are good fun. All the Transporter films are good, though the original is the best.

Bourne is far and away the best action series to come along since, well, Lethal Weapon or something! Outside of Bond or perhaps the Mission Impossible, there haven't been many other contenders though, in the last decade plus.

I'd like to see Statham get a meatier, higher budget series. A spy thing, something like the newer, gritter Bond or Bourne. I think he'd be great jet-setting around the world fucking up other countries' security services.