DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Horror movies have almost always had comedy sewn in with them. As fundamentally opposing emotions, comedy has often been used to counterpoint and accentuate horror - from Hammer films through Nightmare on Elm Street, right down to Scream.

Severance is definitely a comedy which has horror/slasher elements though, just as The Fuzz is a comedy with action elements. I think it works fine.

• Paid Members
Theres not alot i can say other than its supposed to be a "Comic horror ", which doesnt do it any favours.

What does that even mean?

I'm not even sure to be honest.

Basically, its not a Spoof , its a horror movie.....with comedy in it. So it just doesnt work.

Again might just be me on that one.

Yeah, I think it is.

• Paid Members
Horror movies have almost always had comedy sewn in with them. As fundamentally opposing emotions, comedy has often been used to counterpoint and accentuate horror - from Hammer films through Nightmare on Elm Street, right down to Scream.

Severance is definitely a comedy which has horror/slasher elements though, just as The Fuzz is a comedy with action elements. I think it works fine.

Fair shout, as I know most horror movies would have a bit of "Comic relief", although this was supposed to be directly a Horror/Comedy movie (Aparently), and whilst the "Generic Horror" was perfectly fine, the randomly spliced in jokes just didnt really sit well for me personally. And example one guy gets his leg cut off in a bear trap. The joke at the end of this is that Danny Dyer is having trouble putting it in a fridge , and mainly due to the usual Screaming in pain style thing, it just felt like wasted time and a bit out of place.

I think if they cut out that sort of thing, it may of been alot better as a straight up "horror" movie.

Watched Super 8 last night and didn't really like it. I can't understand why the critics creamed themselves over this. It feels like a really weak and empty tribute to films that Steven Spielberg (who also produced Super 8) has been involved with. As a standalone film, there are a couple of big plotholes and some cliche and hammy comments. And, a lot of the time, you're waiting for it to step it up into the next gear, but that doesn't happen.

Edited by Vice

The final battle through the town is what really lets it down. Up till then I was enjoying the Goonies feel to the whole thing, and the train crash sequence was just fantastic. But the wide shots of tanks firing randomly into buildings and the kids running in a war film way is just jarringly wrong.

If it had been a film about a bunch of kids who were making a film and witnessed a train crash, with none of the aliens stuff, it would have been much better to be honest.

Abrams can fuck off with the blue lens flare as well, it was used way too much.

The final battle through the town is what really lets it down. Up till then I was enjoying the Goonies feel to the whole thing, and the train crash sequence was just fantastic. But the wide shots of tanks firing randomly into buildings and the kids running in a war film way is just jarringly wrong.

If it had been a film about a bunch of kids who were making a film and witnessed a train crash, with none of the aliens stuff, it would have been much better to be honest.

Abrams can fuck off with the blue lens flare as well, it was used way too much.

That blue lens flare did my head in. It became really distracting after like the 5th time. I think that's another weakness; the film feels "over-produced" so to speak. It has a kind of cartoony feel to it, which means that some of the more serious stuff and the shifts in tone really do jar.

The alien stuff did seem a little like it was either out of place or that Abrams himself didn't really give a shit about that part of the movie.

It's like a really strange mash-up of The Goonies, ET, Jaws and Cloverfield. Not that Super 8 doesn't have its moments. The train crash you mention is obviously one of them, but there's only about 3 moments that really matter. The rest feels like a (half-hearted) love letter to Spielberg just for the sake of it.

Edited by Vice

Just watched The first 4 episodes of American Horror Story and am absolutely hooked its fucking crazy and amazing. Any one else been watching this? Episode 5 airs in the U.S on Wednesday and I believe it will start airing here in the UK with episode one on FX this weekend. I highly recommend it to any horror fans.

• Paid Members
Not sure if it's had a mention but watched 'The Crazies' by George Romero the other week and despite being put off by the title, it was well worth a watch. Bit of a cross between Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days later, quite a lot of suspense.

Wasn't always called the Crazies, IIRC - think it's been Codename: Trixie in the past, too.

• Paid Members
Not sure if it's had a mention but watched 'The Crazies' by George Romero the other week and despite being put off by the title, it was well worth a watch. Bit of a cross between Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days later, quite a lot of suspense.

Wasn't always called the Crazies, IIRC - think it's been Codename: Trixie in the past, too.

I didn't know that, actually. They were right to change it, Codename: Trixie sounds like a 1980s Chuck Norris film. Which would probably have been more entertaining because I absolutely hated The Crazies and was massively disappointed by it. It just didn't seem to know what it wanted to be at all and I didn't care about any of the characters. Awful ending, too. I can only presume the remake is an improvement.