DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Went to see Don't be afraid of the dark last night and it was a massive let down.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Pearce and Holmes aren't very good as the adults, Madison is probably the best thing about it.

I've not seen the original, but this remake is full of terrible plot holes. No investigation as to why the groundkeeper was brutally assaulted in the basement. The dude had his eye stabbed and stumbled out with a scissor in his shoulder, gets taken to hospital and the authorities are happy that he had an 'accident'.

After squashing the creature in the library, the little girl doesn't bother to show the corpse to her disbelieving father.

When Holmes gets pulled to her death in the end, father and daughter return to the scene to leave a picture the girl has drawn in memory. No police involvement or even a search of the basement to even try and find her/ the creatures.

The creatures themselves wouldn't look out of place in a Disney movie, they get way too much screen time which kills scaryness about them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Shit.

• Paid Members

I watched The Town which is on Sky Premiere this week. I really liked it. I like Affleck though, I think he's pretty good in stuff. The cast is good, dialogue is decent, the plot works nicely and it's pretty funny in parts too. The robbery scenes are particularly amusing, I think. I did wonder how those guys could fence that amount of cash without being caught but otherwise, it's a pretty tight script.

Went to see Tyrannosaur tonight -- absolutely fucking brilliant. Can't say I enjoyed it per se as it's really horrible (there were gasps at some bits, and a bloke a few rows behind went "good God!" at one of the gruesome points), but it's a masterpiece.

Is it more or less horrible than the final two episodes of This Is England '86?

To be honest, I'm growing slightly weary of British council estate dramas that feature ugly and slightly overweight blokes that stalk estates beating up women and Pakis. I like Paddy Considine but from what I've read and heard of Tyrannosaur it sounds like he's treading exactly the same path as Gary Oldman and Tim Roth for his directorial debut.

I'll still watch it, though.

You know, having not heard about this until recently, up until your post I was still kind of hoping this was a film about a T-Rex on the loose in urban England. In the 70s. My idea is better.

• Paid Members
Went to see Don't be afraid of the dark last night and it was a massive let down.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Pearce and Holmes aren't very good as the adults, Madison is probably the best thing about it.

I've not seen the original, but this remake is full of terrible plot holes. No investigation as to why the groundkeeper was brutally assaulted in the basement. The dude had his eye stabbed and stumbled out with a scissor in his shoulder, gets taken to hospital and the authorities are happy that he had an 'accident'.

After squashing the creature in the library, the little girl doesn't bother to show the corpse to her disbelieving father.

When Holmes gets pulled to her death in the end, father and daughter return to the scene to leave a picture the girl has drawn in memory. No police involvement or even a search of the basement to even try and find her/ the creatures.

The creatures themselves wouldn't look out of place in a Disney movie, they get way too much screen time which kills scaryness about them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Shit.

The original is fucking smart - perfect example of something that suits a TV movie better - there's no gore, it unfolds slowly, and doesn't need big climactic moments.

Here's my synopsis for Tyrannosaur (dir. Loki)

It's 1973 in Guildford, Surrey. Three working class lads, best friends, are coming of age. Freddie wants to rise above his station, taking a job selling life insurance, wearing a suit and tie. Snork works at the railway station and wants a girlfriend some day. Bruce talks of leaving but seems on track to work at a factory, drink and fight. Freddie's runs across a childhood friend, Julie, his boss's daughter who shares her father's interest in dinosaurs and archaeology. When he brings a mysterious fossil back from a dig, she is convinced it's the egg of a Tyrannosaurus Rex...

• Paid Members
Here's my synopsis for Tyrannosaur (dir. Loki)

It's 1973 in Guildford, Surrey. Three working class lads, best friends, are coming of age. Freddie wants to rise above his station, taking a job selling life insurance, wearing a suit and tie. Snork works at the railway station and wants a girlfriend some day. Bruce talks of leaving but seems on track to work at a factory, drink and fight. Freddie's runs across a childhood friend, Julie, his boss's daughter who shares her father's interest in dinosaurs and archaeology. When he brings a mysterious fossil back from a dig, she is convinced it's the egg of a Tyrannosaurus Rex...

Is there any lezzing in it?

Thread idea time!

Went to see Tyrannosaur tonight -- absolutely fucking brilliant. Can't say I enjoyed it per se as it's really horrible (there were gasps at some bits, and a bloke a few rows behind went "good God!" at one of the gruesome points), but it's a masterpiece.

I dunno. It's not a million miles away from it to be honest, but it doesn't have the same bizarre mish-mash of badness and light comedy/slapstick ("ooh look at the nasty rape bruises... Wahey Woody and Milky on scooters!"). Tyrannosaur's got a few laughs and moments of levity, but there's just such a horrible dark cloud over everything. This is England '86 wasn't anywhere near as thoroughly unpleasant, though the most horrible individual scenes of that are at least on par with anything in Tyrannosaur.

When my girlfriend bought the tickets yesterday, the guy at the counter was giving disclaimers apparently. "You know it's not a very nice film... Have you seen A Room For Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes?" Neither of which it's like, really.

To be honest, I'm growing slightly weary of British council estate dramas that feature ugly and slightly overweight blokes that stalk estates beating up women and Pakis. I like Paddy Considine but from what I've read and heard of Tyrannosaur it sounds like he's treading exactly the same path as Gary Oldman and Tim Roth for his directorial debut.

I'll still watch it, though.

Yeah, I could easily see it in a boxset with Nil By Mouth and The War Zone. It's far closer to those than the Meadows films. Although I've not watched Nil By Mouth since I was about 14 and thought The War Zone was boring shit, apart from the gorgeous girl. But it's along the same lines. I think Considine's done a better job of it, though. It's a bit of variation from the norm as well in having a middle-class nicey nice woman (Olivia Colman is pitch-perfect casting there) colliding with the usual grim council estate characters. There are probably loads of films that have done that before, but I don't remember any that did it this well. But if you're sick of this kind of film, I don't think this would sway you. It's a tough watch either way.

Edited by King Pitcos

I saw the short that Tyrannosaur was based on. Does

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

he still kill his dog? If so, I'm out. Dogs being hurt are the one film thing I can't stomach.

In the very first scene, apparently - I won't be watching it myself, for the same reason.

• Moderators

he still kill his dog? If so, I'm out. Dogs being hurt are the one film thing I can't stomach.

In the very first scene, apparently - I won't be watching it myself, for the same reason.

Same here. I can't watch Funny Games for that reason either. It's bizarre, when I was reading the story of Joe Son raping a lady walking her dog I was more upset about the fact the poor dog went missing on it's own in a big city rather than her rape.

• Paid Members

I dunno. It's not a million miles away from it to be honest, but it doesn't have the same bizarre mish-mash of badness and light comedy/slapstick ("ooh look at the nasty rape bruises... Wahey Woody and Milky on scooters!"). Tyrannosaur's got a few laughs and moments of levity, but there's just such a horrible dark cloud over everything. This is England '86 wasn't anywhere near as thoroughly unpleasant, though the most horrible individual scenes of that are at least on par with anything in Tyrannosaur.

To be honest, I'll probably still see it because I want to see how Olivia Colman gets on in it and because it still amuses me seeing Eddie Marsan in serious roles after being Stoat in Game On.

It just seems such an obvious directorial debut for Considine to do but it is good to hear that it doesn't have the horribly uneven tone that the second half of This Is England 86's run had.

• Moderators
it still amuses me seeing Eddie Marsan in serious roles after being Stoat in Game On.

I couldn't watch Happy-Go_Lucky with him playing a nasty twat in it without thinking all the time "STOAT!". For that reason I could never give it the awards, nominations and plaudits it got. After all, it's Stoat!

Yes, but it's not exactly the same as in the short. Slight spoiler of beginning of film:

The dog dies instantly in Tyrannosaur, first scene. Kicks it and it's dead. I thought the way it played out in Dog Altogether was more effective, really.

• Paid Members

Gritty British films are so over-done now. In the 2 years in Media at Uni I did, there was never one upbeat, fun and quirky British film. It was all council gangs and people struggling against illness, or teenage prostitution. No wonder they stopped funding for it, it was all grim shit.