DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

The Last Exorcism

shit, SHIT, SHIT

This film I wasn`t much looking forward to in the first place, the misses wanted to go see it. But I went with an open mind, its got Eli Roths name on the poster so I was expecting some nice gore stuff.

The film did have some good points and some really bad points but over all without a word of a lie, the end credits rolled and the entire audience, I I do mean the 50 odd folk that were in the cinema with us at the time, all, as if possessed ourselfs, uttered the words `that was shit!` that was scary.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The film did start off well, very slow and some excellent back story about the main guy. I really liked that. Then once they introduced the second minister, by that time I wasn`t caring, it wasn`t going anywhere. Then It pulled me right back in, Stuff was happening, it was quite fun and seemed to be working real well. Then the giant plot hole opened up and it kinda stummbled again. When the camera was taken by her, and she killed the cat, they cleaned the blood off the thing and changed the screen but wouldn`t you rewind the tape and watch it back? these guys obviously didnt!

Then it was running again. It certainly wasn`t the big gore fest nor scare fest that it was being portraid as on the previews. Infact it was really boring, but I liked the psychological offering it was giving, the alternative view of the faith. It was OK. Then they all left and I thought well if it ends here it wasn`t great but its passable as a movie.

They pulled into the cafe to speak to the boy and headed back. Ok maybe now we`ll get the utter gorefest we`re all looking for. Demonic symbols on the walls, house in darkness, looking good. Then they head out into the woods and then, UTTER PISH!!! what the fuck was that shite? Demon baby? Satan in the fire! FUCK RIGHT OFF!

I have never had a movie so utter fucked in the last 2 minutes as this film managed. To take a film that was passable at best to becoming a fucking waste of my

• Paid Members

Defendor - Woody Harrelson is a self-made superhero, although less like Tony Stark and more like something out of Mystery Men. For what it is, it's pretty damn decent.

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - Refreshingly awesome, respectfully mind-fucking and Kieran Culkin is brilliant. Even though the style of the film might take getting used to (or not be to everybody's liking), I'd say it definitely deserves a view.

Fuck Mini-Babybells

I actually found it quite sad & poignant at the end. I found myself sympathising with them & hoping they wouldn't die. A credit to the quality of the writing & acting.

Just read that it's got American distribution. Can't see it doing very well over there as lots of the references are very British.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Agreed. The saddest for me was Waj's "I don't know what I'm doing", right before he detonated

Couldn't agree more with that, found myself in a weird sort of way wanting them to achieve their goal of successfully blowing themselves up during the marathon, I know that's a messed up thing to say but it's the genuine effect it had on me. Superbly written, I loved the "I may ask you to blow yourself up, but I'd never ask you to piss in your own gob" line.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Afternoon

Company: Myself and my good friends Sam and Jumbo

Film: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Rating: 4 stars

Comments: Call me easily pleased but this was stupidly enjoyable. I have at least liked the entire series of films but this one was a lot of fun. Also had some great 3D.

It's phenomenal. We've watched it several times already, but I'm still absolutely hyped that we're going to see a proper screening on the 25th. Spoons, American footballs, we're doing the whole damn thing.

Where is the screening? Always wanted to go to one myself and missed the one on the 3rd September. Spoons, American footballs, a dozen red roses etc. Plus one of the guys I'm planning on going with is called Mark so he can expect a lot of "Oh hi Mark"

Fuck Mini-Babybells

I actually found it quite sad & poignant at the end. I found myself sympathising with them & hoping they wouldn't die. A credit to the quality of the writing & acting.

Just read that it's got American distribution. Can't see it doing very well over there as lots of the references are very British.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Agreed. The saddest for me was Waj's "I don't know what I'm doing", right before he detonated

But he didn't have his confused face.

My favourite quote was from the scene where Waj and Omar are talking about killing each other and Waj picks up a knife and says "I'm gonna take this and run you over with a tractor".

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Watched Magnum Force last night. Although the Dirty Harry sequels quickly became ridiculous (although The Dead Pool is great stuff) this is still a really worthy sequel that I still think is underrated. There are a couple of ridiculous scenes and the way

David Soul buys it at the end is still really odd - just falling in the water?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

But it's still excellent stuff and another great underrated cop / crime thriller of the 70s. There are a lot of them around.

8/10.

• Paid Members

Watched The Invention of Lying at the weekend. The premise is both utterly ridiculous and pretty damn clever. The absolute scale of "no one in the world can tell a lie" means that the film could go on for about 10,000 years and not answer all the questions but if you ignore that, it's a fun flick. Gervais is pretty much just himself again and Jennifer Garner is a great pick as someone who is way out of his league but not so earth shattering that it seems ridiculous. Some of the reactions to the lies make for great TV but they probably don't make the most of the unbelievable power that would give you.

It's about a 6 or 7/10. Worth a viewing but not worth going out of your way to see (or pay for!).

Missus and i sat down to watch Frozen on Saturday night. Hadn't heard anything about it beforehand, purely saw it at the top of a torrent tracker, read the synopsis and it looked half decent but with the danger of being horrendously bad with a pretty cheesy and cliched trailer. Very pleasantly surprised to be honest. Don't want to give too much away as it would spoil the whole thing but i'd recommend it, check the IMDB link and decide for yourself but i thought it was well decent. First film in a while i've been shouting at the telly with "No you idiot don't do that!" type responses to daft decision making by the characters. You need to suspend belief slightly at a couple of the occurrences but overall it's actually not that far fetched at all and pretty conceivable it could happen in real life.

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

Just got back from Vegas so had plenty of films to watch on the way there and back.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid- I had seen the trailer for this over here in the UK and thought it looked quite quirky, but knew it wouldnt be a film my mates would be willing to part money with to see. As it happens, I was probably right NOT to suggest to my mates that we see it, not because it's a bad film by any means, but it's targeted towards pre teens and thus deals with issues 11-12 year olds go through. As it happens, it actually had it's moments where it was quite funny and the 2 main characters are very good in their seperate roles. The main protagonist can be a bit of a dick at times, but you always seem to be rooting for him.

Shrek 4- I actually thought it was really good! I wasn't expecting anything at all but I'm a sucker for films that deal with alternate realities with the same characters and such. It's nothing special by any means and is totally outclassed by Toy Story 3, but is a decent installment in the Shrek series and is better than the 3rd film atleast!

Kick ass- Absolutely loved it! Really liked the fact that despite being an American film, there was a heavy influx of British actors. Even Tamer Hassan gets a cheeky cameo as a hitman! Can't really say any more that no doubt already been said about this film, but it's stylish, gory, funny, entertaining and just a great film overall!

Hot Tub Time Machine- I've seen it before but couldn't resist giving it another watch. I personally really like it! It never takes itself too seriously and is a very enjoyable film with some genuinely funny parts. Harshly critisied in my books.